MATT 5 Training Path

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by Anonymous_Bloke, May 3, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi All

Is anyone aware of the training path for TA instructors for MATT 5 (Navigation)?

Most of the other MATTs require conversion trg to update instructors fm ITD to MATT but, as Navigation is a 'new' subject, I can't imagine there can be a conversion course.

2. According to the MATT documentation on the army website you need a qualified MAPRIC instructor which I believe is your standard 2 week TA instructor course

3. From the website:

MAPRIC (Map Reading Instructors Course) is a 2 week course run by the School of Military Survey.

4. Where are the courses run, wouldn't going for it. Surely it can't be a 2 week course don't we have a shorter version run by Bde Training teams, I doubt the 2 week course would teach me much that helps deliver MATT5

5. The course used to be run at the School of Military Survey (Royal Engineers) near Thatcham. I don't think the course has changed much over the years. They don't teach you how to teach or how to map read. They teach how to be enthusiastic about teaching map reading and test you on your own abilities. It's a two week course for regulars, TA and cadet instructors.

6. msr

msr LE

Thatcham? I think you need to attend the course ;)

msr

7. Our MAPRIC enthuses about the course. Don't know how good his map reading is though!

Seriously polar - if you fancy it go for it. Every sub unit is going to need more spec course trained personnel to run MATT training and testing. MATT 1 requires 2 SAA instructors (2 week course), MATT 2 a PTI (2 week course), MATT 4 a CBRN instructor (2 week course). Only MATT 3 can be taught and tested unsupervised by an instructor trained by RTC on weekend courses.

msr - I think you'll find RSMS is at Denison Barracks, Hermitage, Thatcham, BERKs

8. Got a map reference for that? :)

9. Apologies - I got as far as reading that training needed to be supervised by a MAPRIC.

As the posters say though, if you get enough people in your company/sqdn qualled up then you can ensure that your guys' MATTS are up to date and the bounties keep rolling in. Keeps everyone happy! :D

10. msr

msr LE

And how long is it going to take to get people on all these courses?

And Hermitage isn't near Thatcham when you live in Chieveley ;)

http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.cgi?client=public&X=450000.857813232&Y=175000.4378875&width=700&height=400&gride=450445.857813232&gridn=172817.4378875&srec=0&coordsys=gb&db=freegaz&addr1=&addr2=&addr3=&pc=&advanced=&local=&localinfosel=&kw=&inmap=&table=&ovtype=&keepicon=true&zm=0&scale=100000&down.x=366&down.y=425

msr

11. Can't be too long with a good plan. If you aimed to send 2 NCOs a year off to get qualled on something then within 2 years you would have:
    PTI
    CBRN (this may take a little longer as they have to get asst. first)
    SAA
    MAPRIC
    (with guys doing BCDT on the weekends between exercises)

And after all, every one likes to be an expert in something...

Not saying that it would be easy, but if you play the game of 'one course for the sqn, one for you'....

12. Do they have to be NCOs?

13. Thats sounding interesting, two weeks pay for 9 days work :lol:

14. Ptes can complete DITs but most of these instructional courses require students to be officers or substantive LCpls. I have seen OCdts accepted for some courses but they should concentrate all their efforts on getting a pip* on their shoulder before diverging into other specializations.

Yes it will take some time and it is a rolling programme. All NCOs should be looking at dedicating one annual camp to gaining a spec qualification of this sort, unless of course they can do both, at a suitable point in their career path.

*Sorry, Bath Star!

15. msr

msr LE

Which rather makes a mockery of introducing MATTS prior to 2008.

msr