Maths: Pump prices going viral and the state of British Education

Most may have seen this photo and post that's doing the rounds on FB since Sunday.

Basically, the guy's got confused over the readings on the pump and posted it online highlighting it to others, however it's spreading and is becoming a mong-magnet.

Can you see his basic error?

ScreenHunter_62 Nov. 18 09.22.jpg

ScreenHunter_62 Nov. 18 09.23.jpg

But the best thing is the comments below
It's going up by 1000 shares every ten minutes or so.

ScreenHunter_63 Nov. 18 09.24.jpg

A 'National hero'? I don't think so Liam

Edited to add: Hit the button early so have got a meaningless title :oops:

Jimmer

Old-Salt
Nope - £1.23 per litre means he should pay £1.24, so the pump is over charging by a penny per Litre......

Nope - £1.23 per litre means he should pay £1.24, so the pump is over charging by a penny per Litre......

Not quite. Look at the decimal places

But the pump is only good to a tenth of a litre and one penny.

If he was taking a photo of one hundred litres costing £125 instead of £123.90, then you'd be quite correct.

But he isn't, is he?

I'm not seeing it. Maybe I've not had enough coffee but 123.9 per litre. He's got a litre at 125. Even rounded up the 123.9 is 124. So he's been overcharged by a penny.

I'll be honest, you've lost me as well.

To achieve £1.25 he's taken 1.008 ltrs, but as the amount gauge only shows hundredths & Tenths of milliliters, it doesn't register the 0.008 of a litre (8 thousandth's of a litre). If he adds, another 20ml of fuel, it'll tip into showing 1.01 ltrs but will still be charged £1.25(139).

You're such a Guardian-reading bleeding-heart liberal aren't you?

I smell someone caught on on FB by the wife smooching another woman

He's been charged £1.25 for a litre of fuel that should cost (in practical terms) £1.24 as advertised. Ergo he has been overcharged.

Why are Arrsers finding this concept confusing? I'd conclude the OP is right about the state of maths education in this country if I didn't suspect that you all got learned before the massive dumbing down and trashing of the education system, principally under Blair.

He's been charged £1.25 for 1.008ltr of fuel, the pump just doesn't register it.

To achieve £1.25 he's taken 1.008 ltrs, but as the amount gauge only shows hundredths & Tenths of milliliters, it doesn't register the 0.008 of a litre (8 thousandth's of a litre). If he adds, another 20ml of fuel, it'll tip into showing 1.01 ltrs but will still be charged £1.25(139).

Also, its the first litre delivered. The meter may be less accurate at the start of the flow, as all the moving parts get up to speed. The pump won't be calibrated on one single litre.

I must admit I had always assumed the counter was rounded up so would click over to show 1.01 L at the 1.005 L.

I see what you mean. I wasn't too sure if you'd spotted a decimal place out or something.

Or to put it rather more simply. The meter is good for one hundredth of a litre.

Which costs. 1.2 pence.

Which means that he's arguing about something that's below the capacity of the meter to read.

So back at it - go put ten litres in and show us £12.50 on the pump, right?

Latest Threads