Maths in the Army.

I’m aware you don’t need any qualifications to join the army in regards to some roles, but I have a few questions.

as of now I don’t have any qualifications, no GCSEs or diplomas. I know, pathetic. I suck at maths but my spelling / English is pretty good. my handwriting not so much.

does this spell doom for my career in the army? I’ve always wanted to join, it’s looks great and I wanna make my family proud. I wanna work with animals but I know I’ll probably end up with the least qualified role. especially if the new army tests are harder than the old Barb.

basically I want to know how big of a role maths have or qualifications, at what point will I be taking the army tests and will there be any more mathematical lessons? I know of the latter, but I heard there’s other parts where you’ll be needed to test your skills.

Thanks.

The army requires you to have a maths and English ability comparable to that of about a 10 year old’s.

If you can’t manage that, you have other things to worry about.

I’m aware you don’t need any qualifications to join the army in regards to some roles, but I have a few questions.

as of now I don’t have any qualifications, no GCSEs or diplomas. I know, pathetic. I suck at maths but my spelling / English is pretty good. my handwriting not so much.

does this spell doom for my career in the army? I’ve always wanted to join, it’s looks great and I wanna make my family proud. I wanna work with animals but I know I’ll probably end up with the least qualified role. especially if the new army tests are harder than the old Barb.

basically I want to know how big of a role maths have or qualifications, at what point will I be taking the army tests and will there be any more mathematical lessons? I know of the latter, but I heard there’s other parts where you’ll be needed to test your skills.

Thanks.
Don’t worry about it, you will need maths and English to promote, but the Army will help you, if you are prepared to put in the effort.

You just need to read some of the shite on here, to understand you will fit right in

Especially if you don't know about apostrophes, the difference between there their and they're

And as long as you have ten fingers, the basic arithmetic should be no problem

How come I see peeps talking about there qualifications in roles that don’t require them? Thanks. that’s what got me worried tbh

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor

Thanks.
The only thing I did as I was a biff at education as well, was I got someone to teach me fractions. I'd been told it was on the BARB, and I knew I could scrape through with my crappy maffs and inglish but wanted to at least grab a few more points.

I learned the basics of fractions, sure enough, they were in the BARB, I got them right and I ended up in HCR...... So all that extra learning didn't help me at all!

Har har.

MacStab2

War Hero
Unless the tests have changed hugely you need to be functionaly numerate. If that is a stretch then get a Maths for Dummies book and do some YouTube learning. It can be surprisingly useful.
Good luck.

Haha!

I’m going to see a recruiting centre this week to join the reserves, what should I say? plus should I train as hard as if I was joining the regulars? of course I’ll ask these questions but I’m unsure of what to expect. is there a maths test in the reserves?

thanks for the advice, and they changed it to army tests in 18.

To be honest if you are competent at maths, reading and writing it will help you in life in general. The more effort you put into your life the further you will go.

I just read one thread started by a bloke who was told to fcuk off as he was not medically up to it at the time. So instead of going off with his tail between his legs he went off and did a bunch of qualifications to help him get in.

Get yourself off to college in the evenings and go do maths & english GCSE's. Nowadays the world is looking for people who are computer literate, can count and can spell..............it is no different in the army.

I’ve written a few books in my time for fun, been told I write like the Sherlock Holmes writer even. my spelling especially on the internet is solid. I’ve seen people with really bad spelling so I know what you mean, gosh people double my age on Facebook spell like toddlers. in all honesty I’d call my maths ability basic and enough to survive in this world.

In order to be able to help yourself you need to identify where and what your "weaknesses" are. If it helps picture the whole 'Maths thing as an inverted brick built pyramid. The teaching of 'Maths is predicated on a hierarchy - each of the elements of the curriculum being represented by a brick. Accordingly, unless you have a firm foundation in the absolute basics then you will never be able progress effectively beyond them.

Get hold of some Key Stage Two SATS revision guides, work through them, check your scores, find out where the problems are and get a tutor - at least it's a start

just been told I need a C in English and Maths to get in the army, but like I said I don’t have any qualifications of any kind due to the type of my education.

Latest Threads