Maths GCSE problems...

Hi guys,

New member on here so as ever, apologies if this thread has already been posted.

Right then, I'm in my last year of uni and I plan to apply to join the Signals as an officer. However, I fear that my lack of effort in school will haunt me as I only managed a 'D' in Maths and I know the requirements demand a 'C'. Does anybody have any knowledge on a scenario similar to this? Would I be compensated the GCSE as I have achieved more at a higher level? I don't know.

Any sort of response would be welcome, cheers.

Hi guys,

New member on here so as ever, apologies if this thread has already been posted.

Right then, I'm in my last year of uni and I plan to apply to join the Signals as an officer. However, I fear that my lack of effort in school will haunt me as I only managed a 'D' in Maths and I know the requirements demand a 'C'. Does anybody have any knowledge on a scenario similar to this? Would I be compensated the GCSE as I have achieved more at a higher level? I don't know.

Any sort of response would be welcome, cheers.

I am far from anything that in anyway resembles an expert. However, my understanding is that assuming you've got a degree you should have no problem joining the Army as an officer from the qualification perspective. I don't know about the Signals but they might possibly be quite rigid in the requirements due to technical issues and understanding needed for the role. There must be some form of course you could take in Maths that would supplement your ability if Signals is your true dream. Otherwise I guess there are dozens of other roles available to a graduate which give you a similar experience.

Either way good luck with it all.

An aircraft flies 400 km from a point O on a bearing of 025° and then 700 km on a bearing of 080° to arrive at B.

(a) How far north of O is B?
(b) How far east of O is B?
(c) Find the distance and bearing of B from O.

assuming you've got a degree you should have no problem joining the Army as an officer from the qualification perspective.
Not strictly true; all the enlisted types certainly need Key Skills level 2 in English and Maths to be considered for promotion at any rank. I have just had 2 x JNCOs working for me, who have a MSc in Bioengineering and a 2:1 in Astrophysics between them. They were both told that, despite these, they had to provide proof of the C grade or equivalent in Maths and English. Good to see that common sense doesn't get in the way of bureaucracy.

So don't pin your hopes on a degree being 'enough', or that you'll be better qualified than the blokes you hope to lead.

Not strictly true; all the enlisted types certainly need Key Skills level 2 in English and Maths to be considered for promotion at any rank. I have just had 2 x JNCOs working for me, who have a MSc in Bioengineering and a 2:1 in Astrophysics between them. They were both told that, despite these, they had to provide proof of the C grade or equivalent in Maths and English. Good to see that common sense doesn't get in the way of bureaucracy.

So don't pin your hopes on a degree being 'enough', or that you'll be better qualified than the blokes you hope to lead.
Ah well there goes my 2 cents down the drain. As i said no kind of expert.

An aircraft flies 400 km from a point O on a bearing of 025° and then 700 km on a bearing of 080° to arrive at B.

You need to give far more information than that if you want an accurate answer.

cpunk

LE
The requirement is for a C grade at GCSE in Maths and English language, together with a C in either a foreign language or a science, to reach a total of 35 ALIS points (IIRC) overall. You then need a minimum of 240 UCAS points on top. If you don't have these, you need to apply for an educational waiver via the NRC, giving them evidence of how you have achieved the required standard through a different route.

ermm... 42??

If you have the time to spare following graduation, or even if possible, now...... perhaps consider doing a GCSE Maths course and getting the C. Cuts out all the uncertainty then.

As a youth I had a bit of a mental block about anything other than numeracy and not having a GCE in Maths prevented me from being considered for an RAF Regt Commission despite my having a 2:1 in Business & Accounting. As others say you have to have the basics.

Nah. As long as you can work out the difference between 12x12 and 18x24, you'll be fine.
That's not as easy as it seems, several universities run degree courses in Tentology.

Sent via Heliograph from the Jebel Birkenhead

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer