Mathematics is racist - California's Department of Education ends high school fast tracking for the naturally gifted.

I read the article expecting it to be a deliberate misinterpretation of a sensible policy. There is educational research that shows mixed ability classes benefit everyone, not just the thickos.

Nope, it is as bonkers as the headline suggests. "Teachers can support discussions that center mathematical reasoning rather than issues of status and bias by intentionally defining what it means to do and learn mathematics together in ways that include and highlight the languages, identities, and practices of historically marginalized communities".

What a pile of ****. I wouldn't be surprised if this is taken up on this side of the Atlantic in a few years as the next Big Idea.

The logical conclusion is that exam results are racist, and you should award the highest marks to the most marginalised members of a class irrespective of ability to eradicate the racist colonial patriarchal construct of the western education system

Last edited:
It cant just be me that this seriously worries. If this continues the US wont win the Manhattan project or space race of the future. Educational standards, especially here and the US are declining in comparison to the world. China are pumping out more research in AI, Quantum Computing, anything influencial, than the rest of the world combined. They're paying huge wages to top western academics to attract them. These are the same academics who came through fast track maths, physics etc.
I really dont like the look of the future for the west.
I thought the same.
Although it was a lot longer ago, during the Bliar era.
If we allow schools and universities to keep dumbing down the education given to our offspring, and bringing everybody down to the same common, often low, level, then our future does indeed look bleak.
But the fact that politicians aren't condemning or reversing any of these policies should be the scary part.
This is being done on purpose, and it's not something we should be looking forward to.
We've already seen what happens to countries when the marxist trained mobs take over.

The logical conclusion is that exam results are racist, and you should award the highest marks to the most marginalised members of a class irrespective of ability to eradicate the racist colonial patriarchal construct of the western education
Don't give them ideas, we're halfway there with the current COVID system anyway.

But the fact that politicians aren't condemning or reversing any of these policies should be the scary part.

Look how many politicians benefited from a grammar school or private education, and how keen they are that no-one else have that opportunity, apart from their own offspring that is.

Yes but they were dusky, so does that make them OK?
It's all so confusing.

Look how many politicians benefited from a grammar school or private education, and how keen they are that no-one else have that opportunity, apart from their own offspring that is.
Exactly, a dumbed down population are easier to control.

Dianne Abbott being one of them, but she's changed her hairstyle since then so she's not being a hypocrite allegedly

it’s not just Maths. university of Sheffield is now teaching Charles Darwin’s theories are racist. Big piece in the Torygraph this morning.

we are watching history get rewritten and the next generation of adults will have a completely different view of reality which will bear little resemblance to fact.

Makes it easy to get older though, you'll be competing with people who won't work hard, think maths is racist, and the world should be handed to them on a plate

China will take over, but in the short term it winner winner chicken dinner for us oldies

it’s not just Maths. university of Sheffield is now teaching Charles Darwin’s theories are racist. Big piece in the Torygraph this morning.

we are watching history get rewritten and the next generation of adults will have a completely different view of reality which will bear little resemblance to fact.

Natural selection in action, those academics who adapt to the new ways of thinking will prosper. You know, like the dodo perfectly adapted to its local habitat and thrived in great numbers there.

Hairy-boab

Old-Salt
This will simply reinforce inequality- the rich will simply send their kids to (more) private lessons/camps outside school hours.

Edit: I love the gymnastics they go through to avoid mentioning asian students, I also love how these "anti-racists" spend all their time attributing colours to everybody!

"Girls and Black and Brown children, notably, represent groups that more often receive messages that they are not capable of high-level mathematics, compared to their White and male counterparts (Shah & Leonardo, 2017). "

Full report can be found here:

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
This will simply reinforce inequality- the rich will simply send their kids to (more) private lessons/camps outside school hours.

Edit: I love the gymnastics they go through to avoid mentioning asian students, I also love how these "anti-racists" spend all their time attributing colours to everybody!

"Girls and Black and Brown children, notably, represent groups that more often receive messages that they are not capable of high-level mathematics, compared to their White and male counterparts (Shah & Leonardo, 2017). "

Full report can be found here:
Why do you think BAME suddenly became BME? Those pesky, over-performing Asians, skewing the racism argument...

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
It cant just be me that this seriously worries. If this continues the US wont win the Manhattan project or space race of the future. Educational standards, especially here and the US are declining in comparison to the world. China are pumping out more research in AI, Quantum Computing, anything influencial, than the rest of the world combined. They're paying huge wages to top western academics to attract them. These are the same academics who came through fast track maths, physics etc.
I really dont like the look of the future for the west.
The Marxists in the West are useful idiots. There’s a war being fought here, and we’re not fighting back hard enough.

Chef

LE
I know you said spelling doesn't matter but I wonder if the pharmacists would agree?
Oops:frustrated:Duly amended.

Now you've made me feel bad. I hope you're proud of yourself:)

People are already leaving California in droves and the State government can't figure out why. I suggest the reason for this latest madness is because the politicians are thick as fvck and were voted in for their level of wokeness and not their intellect.

cowgoesmoo

Old-Salt
Actually, that is Sumerian and Babylonian maths. Along with sixty seconds in a minute and sixty minutes in an hour. Those imperialist bastards.
Not forgetting that we culturally appropriated arabic numerals from the north africans and then used the evils of trade and colonialism to spread them throughout the rest of the world thus displacing more authentic systems such as the base-8 systems used by native americans or the base-4 used by the Papa New Guinians.

Don't get me started on how binary numbers oppress members of the trans community..

Not forgetting that we culturally appropriated arabic numerals from the north africans and then used the evils of trade and colonialism to spread them throughout the rest of the world thus displacing more authentic systems such as the base-8 systems used by native americans or the base-4 used by the Papa New Guinians.

Don't get me started on how binary numbers oppress members of the trans community..

And then there is the endian/big endian debate where you have fat shaming with big endians

Ok, try this...
My day.
Woke up. Woke daughter. Worked out how long we had before we had to leave to take her to work.
Looked at kettle. Saw how full it was, and calculated there was enough for 2 cups.
Stopped at petrol station. Filled up, worked out rough average consumption since last fill up.
Shops. quick tot up of basket, do I have enough cash, etc...
Started wash machine. Worked out how long til it finishes washing, so I can turn on dishwasher, then geyser, then oven, so as to maximise solar generation.
Later I'll cook dinner. Will do a lot of calculations re 'how many apples will I need to feed x folk?'
All in my head.
Does this make me a genius? Nope.
Just a bloke who uses sums..
Giving kids the news that maths is unimportant, and can be shrugged off, is a recipe for a generation of thickoes
Last week I used Pythagoras for the first time since I learnt it 50 something years ago. There was some debate as to whether to order a flat pack wardrobe for the daughter's spare room as it has to be constructed lying down (IKEA) and then raised. Would the corner to corner hypotenuse length be too tall for the floor/ceiling dimension? Utterly beyond number 1 daughter who has 2 university degrees more than I. She watched me do the calculation as though I was doing some kind of black magic. Turns out my figures were right and it did, with an inch to spare.

I knew it would come in handy one day.

Still need to find a use for calculating the volume of a cone though.....