Masters degree but going regular

Hi all.
So, I have a BSc in evolutionary anthropology, I am currently studying a MSc in forensic anthropology.
I am in the OTC at my university, however I believe I am not smart enough to pass officer selection.

Should I attempt an officer application just because of my academic ability? Or Join as a regular soldier because that's my dream.

I do love management and leadership, I have experience in both from working. However, I still believe I am not smart enough for the selection board. And I want to be in the army and contribute at any level.

I knew a fair few who joined as soldiers with degree's, got the experience, ability and confidence to later easily get a commission when they reached SSgt/WO.

Met a chap once, or twice, who had done history of art, or fine art, something like that he joined as a soldier and ended up soldiering at the most highest level.

Go for the commission with oooomphh and a will to succeed and if that does not happen for you they will be very happy to take you as a soldier. Pick something that would give you quicker promotion prospects though.

You appear to be lacking in confidence in your own abilities.
Hardly a good trait for a position where incisiveness & confidence in decisions made are needed.

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Joining as a Regular is a legitimate way of going about becoming one, that's what I plan to do.
Yep, and fair one, but just remember - if you go in as a mere foot slogger, you more or less wasted your Masters. It won't get you anywhere any faster though it will help you jump across should you decide to.

Don't fret about joining as an officer and not feeling you've earned it or are capable enough - plenty of the ******* aren't but they give it a good go.

Yep, and fair one, but just remember - if you go in as a mere foot slogger, you more or less wasted your Masters. It won't get you anywhere any faster though it will help you jump across should you decide to.

Don't fret about joining as an officer and not feeling you've earned it or are capable enough - plenty of the ******* aren't but they give it a good go.
You are right, plenty do not give a second thought about joining and not being capable of leading men. The fact that the young man is worried about this is, to me, an indicator that he has a bit of humility about him and his own ability to lead older more experienced men. I think he is probably no worse than any other candidate and will probably listen very carefully to every bit of advice given him by his platoon Sgt when he gets where he is going.

You are right, plenty do not give a second thought about joining and not being capable of leading men. The fact that the young WOMman is worried about this is, to me, an indicator that he has a bit of humility about him and his own ability to lead older more experienced men. I think he is probably no worse than any other candidate and will probably listen very carefully to every bit of advice given him by his platoon Sgt when he gets where he is going.
Fixed. Still relevant though.

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
You are right, plenty do not give a second thought about joining and not being capable of leading men. The fact that the young woman is worried about this is, to me, an indicator that he has a bit of humility about her and his own ability to lead older more experienced men. I think she is probably no worse than any other candidate and will probably listen very carefully to every bit of advice given her by her platoon Sgt when she gets where she is going.
Clearly you failed the Recce part. :D

Evolutionary anthropology you say? Have you considered the Royal Military Police?

Evolutionary anthropology you say? Have you considered the Royal Military Police?
The Monkeys? That'd be Devolutionary Anthropology - FFS.

I absolutely would not advise becoming an officer just because of academic qualifications. I did this and wasted 2 years of my life despite knowing all along that I would prefer the soldier career path. My theory was that it would be a waste of my degree if I did not go for an officer role which was a pretty naive thought.

What role interests you?

Non-vocational degrees do not automatically equate to joining the armed forces with a Commission, despite the presumptions of the University Officer Cadet organisations and indeed the assumptions of many within the armed forces, in my experience.

Non-vocational degrees do not automatically equate to joining the armed forces with a Commission, despite the presumptions of the University Officer Cadet organisations and indeed the assumptions of many within the armed forces, in my experience.
My bold:

They do in the Royal Signals, in my experience, the weirder the better:
  • My first troopy had a degree in yacht design (or some such shite) from Bangor University.
  • My second one read Zoology somewhere in London.
  • Whereas my last one was a Theologist (Oxford Brookes)...……….

My bold:

They do in the Royal Signals, in my experience, the weirder the better:
  • My first troopy had a degree in yacht design (or some such shite) from Bangor University.
  • My second one read Zoology somewhere in London.
  • Whereas my last one was a Theologist (Oxford Brookes)...……….
I'm not suggesting it doesn't happen. It's just that a great many people seem to think a degree means you must join as an officer or that some graduates see academic eligibility = entitlement. It ain't.

jrwlynch

LE
Book Reviewer
I liked to gently taunt a friend (he's a Royal Marine so if I overdid it he might kill me) by asking whether he was properly addressed as 'Sergeant Doctor...' or 'Doctor Sergeant...' (he's since been persuaded into a commission - needs of the service rather than his preference, he's a top bloke regardless).

Lots of very bright, well-qualified Other Ranks out there if you look..

Latest Threads