Masterful control of the Skies

BrunoNoMedals

LE
Kit Reviewer
A decisive assault on Salisbury? So they got to the bar first, then?

By 'eck. The whole world must be in awe.

I bet the Americans are gobsmacked at this display of military might.

Reminds me of the days of the Cold War when whole divisions of Soviet paras goose stepped their way across Red Square.

Rule Brittania!!

Bouillabaisse

LE
Book Reviewer
You bunch of cynical bastards, you. I say well done the Paras - nice to see them maintaining capability in difficult times, what with budget cuts and operational pressures. Just because a capability hasn't been used in a while doesn't mean we might not need it at some point and whilst we can't muster up whole airborne divisions any more at least we have some people left with the skills.

"…The parachute jump was an overhead assault, which sees troops carrying light equipment and weapons jumping from C130s flying at only 600ft (182m).…"

Bloody silly idea.

I have tone Achmed.... firing now!

A2_Matelot

LE
Book Reviewer
nice to see them maintaining capability in difficult times, what with budget cuts and operational pressures. Just because a capability hasn't been used in a while doesn't mean we might not need it at some point.
You mean like Carrier Strike and Fixed Wing Naval Aviation - every time that gets mentioned people cry it's not used hence not needed, surely same rules apply and as the last operational jump was almost back in the Crimean days do we still need a Para capability?

So given the state of the defence budget, is it actually feasible to parachute from a hang-glider?

Bouillabaisse

LE
Book Reviewer
And they do that by assaulting an unopposed DZ, 50 miles from the objective, which is then taken by helicopter assault? I'd have more faith if they'd parachuted into South Cerney's airfield, Wokka'd in a couple of Landrovers, trashed the fence to the main camp and then driven amok thunderflashing every building on camp. The Postie RSM would have had an apoplexy.
So, the following people got to train and practice their skills:

RAF C130 crew
Paras
Helicopters types
Infantry
Who ever planned all this stuff
Posties (presumeably training for an Admin Box/Rourke's Drift scenario)

Sounds like a good all round exercise.

So given the state of the defence budget, is it actually feasible to parachute from a hang-glider?
I know it's not a serious question but your answer in a word is - yes. Well to be accurate it was from a motorised hang glider. The pilot experiences one of those 'never again you mad twat' moments as the vehicle's trim and sudden loss of nine stones of airborne fury leaves him wrestling with the controls, or such such technical action. Good fun though.

"…The parachute jump was an overhead assault, which sees troops carrying light equipment and weapons jumping from C130s flying at only 600ft (182m).…"
[/I]
If they took the bedicopter they would have hit been on the ground even sooner, none of this waiting 600 feet lark.

What happens when 5Scots take over as lead BG in the ABTF? Do they go out the back in plts, whilst sat in the 'Alton Tower chairs' bolted to MSPs?

What happens when 5Scots take over as lead BG in the ABTF? Do they go out the back in plts, whilst sat in the 'Alton Tower chairs' bolted to MSPs?
They will be disbanded before then leavingthe elite to take the significant strain of remaining as the lead ABTF. This is not an small job and requires hours of waiting around watching sky news, just in case something happens - anywhere.

"This is not an small job and requires hours of waiting around watching sky news, just in case something happens - anywhere."

In my day it were CNN. How times change, eh?

Me in '99 - " Hello Strike Cmd, according to CNN it's all kicking off in Kosovo. When are we off?"
STC - "Fcuk off, sonny. Cool yer herbs."

Two weeks later
STC - "Quick, get on the fuggin' bus ya lazy tossers. IT'S ALL KICKING OFF IN KOSOVO!"