Masterful control of the Skies

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Outstanding, Apr 23, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BrunoNoMedals

BrunoNoMedals LE Reviewer

A decisive assault on Salisbury? So they got to the bar first, then?
  2. By 'eck. The whole world must be in awe.

I bet the Americans are gobsmacked at this display of military might.

Reminds me of the days of the Cold War when whole divisions of Soviet paras goose stepped their way across Red Square.

Rule Brittania!!
    • Like Like x 2
  3. The very fact that a company of paras doing a jump not only makes the news but is worthy of its own thread in CA says it all...
  4. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

You bunch of cynical bastards, you. I say well done the Paras - nice to see them maintaining capability in difficult times, what with budget cuts and operational pressures. Just because a capability hasn't been used in a while doesn't mean we might not need it at some point and whilst we can't muster up whole airborne divisions any more at least we have some people left with the skills.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. "…The parachute jump was an overhead assault, which sees troops carrying light equipment and weapons jumping from C130s flying at only 600ft (182m).…"

Bloody silly idea.

I have tone Achmed.... firing now!
    • Like Like x 1
  6. A2_Matelot

A2_Matelot LE Book Reviewer

You mean like Carrier Strike and Fixed Wing Naval Aviation - every time that gets mentioned people cry it's not used hence not needed, surely same rules apply and as the last operational jump was almost back in the Crimean days do we still need a Para capability?
    • Like Like x 1
  7. A2_Matelot

A2_Matelot LE Book Reviewer

Crab aircrew don't like clouds...far better to fly under them in VFR!
  8. So given the state of the defence budget, is it actually feasible to parachute from a hang-glider?
  9. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

So, the following people got to train and practice their skills:

RAF C130 crew
    Helicopters types
    Who ever planned all this stuff
    Posties (presumeably training for an Admin Box/Rourke's Drift scenario)

Sounds like a good all round exercise.

10. Nah, they flew IFR - I Follow Roads.;P
    • Like Like x 2
  11. I don't suppose they levelled South Cerney by any chance?
  12. I know it's not a serious question but your answer in a word is - yes. Well to be accurate it was from a motorised hang glider. The pilot experiences one of those 'never again you mad twat' moments as the vehicle's trim and sudden loss of nine stones of airborne fury leaves him wrestling with the controls, or such such technical action. Good fun though.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. fu2

fu2 LE

like nearly 60 odd years
  14. If they took the bedicopter they would have hit been on the ground even sooner, none of this waiting 600 feet lark.
    • Like Like x 1