Masterchef - The Professionals

I think that’s a key point though - you would have to be utterly bonkers to apply to the programme if you hadn’t been to catering college, and therefore have at the very least a fundamental grounding in the classics. This should really be obvious from one thing, the fact that Waering & Galetti (plus of course Roux Jr beforehand) all came up through La Gavroche

indeed, it’s worth mentioning that MPW and Gordon Ramsey, despite being prima-donnas, both came through la Gavroche & the classics- and have clearly seen proper graft to get to where they are. worth a watch:

Though, I have to say that Marco has become a shill for Knorr cubes!

Watching last night, I realised that the programme is so much better without Fatty Wallace, but then, she of the great chest was on last night too as one of the critics. Did I mention that Grace has a splendid set of breasts?
View attachment 432019
Not very bonnie, a real BOBFOC though and I bet she bangs like a belt fed mortar!

PFGEN

GCM
Would love to see somebody come in for the skill test which I believe is supposed to be a test of the basics and have Marcus or Monica say "In this test we'd like you to prepare some pastéis de nata. You have 15 minutes starting now." and receiving the response:
"Eeh, whaa? No steak en chips then? I was gonna do steak en chips."
Greg, "I like chips."
"You have done patisserie? They're custard tarts."
"Custard? I do a good apples and custard."

Sadly it won't happen but it would liven things up no end if the producers threw in a wild card from a greasy spoon.

I get mine from Sainsburys. Very little difference from the ones I used to get from the Portuguese deli but closer and more convenient!

It is very hard and stressfull work.
My old man was a grafting chef all of his life, and sometimes used to take me to work.
I was genuinely a seven year old plongeur.
But when you have to spend three days prep to knock out two thousand canapes to various dignitaries including senior royals in half an hour you will feel the sweat.

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
How can a man with a Hitler haircut be so awful at making an Austrian schnitzel?!

It’s burnt, is this last guy an army chef?

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
The schnitzel test has been the easiest so far, the artichoke one was way out there, I've never heard of making mayo using chickpea water, I know how to prepare an artichoke though.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
I'm always intrigued by how Waring and Galetti are quite good at picking dark horses. They'll often pick a chef who has not done well in the opening round, but whom they spotted some well hidden potential in. Whence said chef duly blossoms in the following rounds (or occasionally crashes and burns).

And one for @Joker62 - fancy cooking for a room full of Michelin starred chefs in the final round?

Wordsmith

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Did the head chef burn the schnitzel and the egg to your satisfaction?
Which is what I was on about earlier on in the thread. I can work in a greasy spoon by myself and call myself "head chef" (because I'd be the only one). They also had a 22yo Sous Chef, 3 years at college means 3 years from nobody to 2IC of a kitchen, really??

Fake Sheikh

War Hero
I do wonder if the challenges Monica gives out are too hard for some of these chefs?
Or is it that you learn not a lot at eggburner catering college these days?

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
I'm always intrigued by how Waring and Galetti are quite good at picking dark horses. They'll often pick a chef who has not done well in the opening round, but whom they spotted some well hidden potential in. Whence said chef duly blossoms in the following rounds (or occasionally crashes and burns).

And one for @Joker62 - fancy cooking for a room full of Michelin starred chefs in the final round?

Wordsmith
It's not my cup of tea, I was taught the French classic way of cooking, the same as Galetti and Waring, but all the fancy "fine dining" stuff is too much of a faff. You want Boeuf Bourguignon, Osso Bucco or Fricassee De Veau, I'm your man, but drizzling oils, placing micro edible flowers and whatnot, find someone else.
I do wonder if the challenges Monica gives out are too hard for some of these chefs?
Or is it that you learn not a lot at eggburner catering college these days?
They should all be within the scope of a modern chef's skills. College will give you the skills needed to go forward with your career, whether you go classic or modern, it's upto you, you all learn the same skills. This is where I said earlier on in the thread, are they actually attending college or just rocking up to a restaurant with a wish to learn how to cook what that particular restaurant wants whereby, when trying out some of the tests, they become flustered and fuck up. They had one bloke last week, a Sous Chef, who 3 years previously had been a sparky, that's not enough time to attend college AND work your way through the normal kitchen rank structure.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
The schnitzel test has been the easiest so far, the artichoke one was way out there, I've never heard of making mayo using chickpea water, I know how to prepare an artichoke though.
I think you should apply for the next series, show these fools how to do it.
im being serious.
oh what did you do to get your red banner?

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
It's not my cup of tea, I was taught the French classic way of cooking, the same as Galetti and Waring, but all the fancy "fine dining" stuff is too much of a faff. You want Boeuf Bourguignon, Osso Bucco or Fricassee De Veau, I'm your man, but drizzling oils, placing micro edible flowers and whatnot, find someone else.

They should all be within the scope of a modern chef's skills. College will give you the skills needed to go forward with your career, whether you go classic or modern, it's upto you, you all learn the same skills. This is where I said earlier on in the thread, are they actually attending college or just rocking up to a restaurant with a wish to learn how to cook what that particular restaurant wants whereby, when trying out some of the tests, they become flustered and fuck up. They had one bloke last week, a Sous Chef, who 3 years previously had been a sparky, that's not enough time to attend college AND work your way through the normal kitchen rank structure.
Just read about poor Garry Rhodes RIP, he trained at Thanet college. Went on to get a record FIVE Michelin stars. Not bad.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Glad_its_all_over The Intelligence Cell 46
jarrod248 Cookery 168
Bigbaldski The NAAFI Bar 59