Masterchef - The Professionals

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
We eat at a lot of fine dining places and the end results are generally very good. But they're a shit place to learn to cook. Highly dependant on multiple complex sauces that deliver complimentary flavours but generally centred around simple well cooked meat/fish/veg the head chef cooks. A sous chef at a michelin starred place could spend three years reducing sauces and putting microherbs on plates and not have a scooby how to boil an egg.
A proper Sous Chef would've worked his way up from being a Commis and learned the necessary skills. This "Fine Dining" lark all stems from basic cookery in the first place, the "Fine" part of it is all about tarting up 3 quid worth of produce and charging you £30 for it. When I was cooking on a professional basis, the "fine dining" was called "Nouvelle Cuisine", small portions of food costing a fortune, the only thing that's changed is the name.
In general in London it isn't. It's very complex and uses a hell of a lot of quality ingredients and processes to produce the end result. However the skills involved for sous and commi tend to be niche to the needs of the head chef so it's not a great general training environment. Hence the dire performances on masterchef yesterday.
Following on from the above conversation involving chefs today and their training, after watching the programme mentioned in the title, I can only assume that a lot of today's chefs aren't recieving training in the classics as the skills test seems to be lacking in any real skill. As @S11Blade states, they might not be able to boil an egg, why not, they are supposed to be trained chefs FFS
I've been watching the programme for the past few seasons and it seems skill fade has been apparent, one episode last week involved "spatchcocking" a quail, this involves cutting the backbone out and flatteniing it, not one got the "spatchcock" right, leaving the quail slightly undercooked in each case. Last night involved making a Crepe Souffle, the pancakes were as thick as Dianne Abbott and no one seemed to get the souffle side right either. These were basic culinary skills when I was training. It's all well and good being able to produce a £45 main course involving drizzles of herb oils and fusing 2 seperate styles of cuisine, but the basics need to be sorted first, you need to know your Espagnole or your Demi-Glace.

Last edited:
You should see the level of contempt that my french missus holds for these so-called professionals.

I could not believe the spatchcock episode. I think it's people wanting be a chef for what they see as glamour and attention ,and they tell themselves they love food and have a genuine interest when they dont.
If your interested you will have been reading books as a kid and be thinking about food all the time .
Christ , I think I even new what a bloody flattened chicken was called as a kid !

Swmbo watches Masterchef. I sort of loosely keep an eye on it. The skills test involving Spatchcocking a bird, I'm not a trained chef, never worked in a commercial kitchen but even I know the basics of how to spatchcock a bird, fillet round fish and flatfish and other basic kitchen know how.
IMHO you need to get the basics right and be able to do them well Before buggering about with arty farty stuff.

I've got the utmost respect for chefs in commercial kitchens, long hours crap pay and knobhead customers. I couldn't do it.

CplFoodspoiler

War Hero
Book Reviewer
I watch the 'Professional' Masterchef for the fun of watching Monica and Marcus **** with their chosen three. I agree that a cocky lad of 20, turning up full of bravado and sadly misplaced confidence, has me half hoping for a reality check. But I'm just a miserable old bugger.

Biggest ******** on the show is Greg Wallace. Perhaps one day Marcus will say " your skills test today is to butcher, slice dice and mince this twat, I've already killed it for you, you have all ******* day, go for it."

Don't even mention the Celebretwat version.....AAAGgghhhhhhh.

Last edited:
For true skill they should be asked to produce an egg banjo and see if they know how to utilise the bottle of OMD 75 to make the signature thumb print in the RAOC bread.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
One of the things that really grips me is the intro where they are a "Sous Chef" or "Executive Chef" having only been in the game for 3 years. What this really means is that they work in a kitchen with 2 or 3 others and have been there longer. There was a Sous Chef the other week, who 3 years before had been an electrician, now either he's the spawn of MIichel Roux and is an uberchef or he works with a couple of bods under him and has a boss, what is telling is that if he worked on the non "Fine Dining" world, he'd have spent 2, or even all 3, of those years at college gaining his City & Guilds/NVQs, he wouldn't have time to get promoted that quickly. I spent 3 years on day release to gain my C&Gs, all the time working as a Commis chef, it wasn't until I was 20 that I became a Chef De Partie (head of a section) and that was only because the bloke I worked with popped his clogs over the weekend and I could do the job.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Prefer the Australia one with Matt Preston, Gary Mehigan and George Calombaris but they left in July
Not sure who's taking over, I enjoy that one as well.
The Yank version is full of yee-hawing rednecks, soccer moms or black people from the wrong side of the tracks who wanna make good.
The Canadian version was Ok, but the Judges were a little bit strange.
With bothe the US and Aus versions, I wait until about 10 weeks in before I make my choices for the top 5, seldom wrong, you can spot the chancers a mile away.

Fake Sheikh

On ROPS
On ROPs
One of the things that really grips me is the intro where they are a "Sous Chef" or "Executive Chef" having only been in the game for 3 years. What this really means is that they work in a kitchen with 2 or 3 others and have been there longer. There was a Sous Chef the other week, who 3 years before had been an electrician, now either he's the spawn of MIichel Roux and is an uberchef or he works with a couple of bods under him and has a boss, what is telling is that if he worked on the non "Fine Dining" world, he'd have spent 2, or even all 3, of those years at college gaining his City & Guilds/NVQs, he wouldn't have time to get promoted that quickly. I spent 3 years on day release to gain my C&Gs, all the time working as a Commis chef, it wasn't until I was 20 that I became a Chef De Partie (head of a section) and that was only because the bloke I worked with popped his clogs over the weekend and I could do the job.
Love the titles the cooks give themselves, they big it up but then cook like trained at macds.
At least the celebrities might poison greg wallace now that would be good tv & up the ratings.

Not sure who's taking over, I enjoy that one as well.
The Yank version is full of yee-hawing rednecks, soccer moms or black people from the wrong side of the tracks who wanna make good.
The Canadian version was Ok, but the Judges were a little bit strange.
With bothe the US and Aus versions, I wait until about 10 weeks in before I make my choices for the top 5, seldom wrong, you can spot the chancers a mile away.

Here you go with the new ones

I’d like to see joker on masterchef.

“What are you cooking for us today joker?”

”one fücking sausage”.

Biggest ******** on the show is Greg Wallace.
This. No wonder he always has a shit eating grin on his face - he is almost permanently on the box nowadays. Never has so little talent been rewarded so much. Describing him as an annoying twat doesn’t do this bellend justice.
With apologies to @Joker62 for slight thread drift!

I always enjoyed those days in the cookhouse when we had spatchcocked quail with crepe soufflé for afters.

Ritch

LE
I just keep tuning in to see if Miserable Monica will ever lighten up.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Glad_its_all_over The Intelligence Cell 46
jarrod248 Cookery 168
Bigbaldski The NAAFI Bar 59

Latest Threads