Master Lock key box

My Dad has a key box by his front door to give his careers access.
I wanted to see what keys were in it. The code I have does not work. Called the care team. Seems they had a temporary worker who may have changed the code out of spite. The carer is not replying to their calls.
Obviously this is concerning on several levels. But my immediate problem is opening the thing to change the code again.
Anyone know how to open it without using a crowbar, disc cutter etc etc
PM reply if it helps.

4(T)

LE
I wanted to see what keys were in it. The code I have does not work. Called the care team. Seems they had a temporary worker who may have changed the code out of spite. The carer is not replying to their calls.
Obviously this is concerning on several levels. But my immediate problem is opening the thing to change the code again.
PM reply if it helps.

It turns out that most of these key boxes can be opened, one way or another.

Look for Youtube vids that have your model, eg perhaps

Do you know who installed it? My Mother had a key box fitted outside the front door for precisely the purpose you indicate. The order to instal it came from the local DHSS (or whatever it’s called these days - I’ve been living in Italy and Switzerland since 1995!)
One day last year, the combination would not open the box (or take the money, before some smartarrse says it). Call to the local people who had ordered the installation, they sent the installer’s chappy around and fixed.
It appeared a tumbler inside the combination lock had become displaced, apparently a common fault. He opened the box, reset the tumblers, and all was well.
No charge. Mum’s a serious pensioner.

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
explosives.

I had one of these. Saw the YouTube 'tutorial' on how to open it........ 'tis true! An old feeler gauge is all you need and off you go! Takes seconds.

I no longer have one of these boxes!

I had one of these. Saw the YouTube 'tutorial' on how to open it........ 'tis true! An old feeler gauge is all you need and off you go! Takes seconds.

I no longer have one of these boxes!

Many locks are easily openable.

For well delivered, well researched, and practiced techniques, and information on yootoob the LockPickingLawyer is hard to beat.

Last edited:
That guy knows his locks, I've been a subscriber for a while now.

BosnianBill is another worth having a look at too.

corby

War Hero
As previously mentioned, feeler gauges and You Tube are all you require. I got into one at my brothers place a few weeks ago, it took at least 5 minutes.

This isn't a direct answer to your question, but you might look at getting an
electronic combination lock for the door itself.

You can program in multiple codes and give each person who needs access their own code. You keep a master code which is needed to reprogram it. The ones that I have seen also have a regular key lock to open the door in the event the electronic lock fails (e.g. the batteries die).

When you have a situation where you want to make sure that someone doesn't have access any more, you just change that code.

If someone was really determined and had the instructions for the lock they could potentially reset the lock to wipe all the codes. However, they would need the right tools to take the access plate off from the inside and know what buttons to press. In that case you just use the regular key (which you have kept) and reprogram it again.

I know a couple of people who have them and are quite satisfied with them. I can't recommend a particular brand however, especially as I am not in the UK and don't know what models are sold there.

If you get one, be sure to change the batteries regularly. I would suggest at least once a year before the cold weather comes in the winter.

PM reply if it helps.
There is no way to open it without breaking it. Sorry, but that is the whole point.
Report it as a hate crime to the local police and get the reference number. Your social services may replace it for free, I mean, they have heaps of money as they consider Old Bill to be 999Cabs, a free cab service.

RTU'd

LE
See if a good local locksmith can get in to it.
My parents had similar issues when Mum changed the code and forgot the number.
Locksmith in it in under 10 seconds and charged £10 but got mug of tea & cake!

As this is arrse you will get the usual OTT comments & you expect it.
1627717806058.png

So here it is.

corby

War Hero
There is no way to open it without breaking it. Sorry, but that is the whole point.
Report it as a hate crime to the local police and get the reference number. Your social services may replace it for free, I mean, they have heaps of money as they consider Old Bill to be 999Cabs, a free cab service.
Sorry but your wrong, they are easy to open.

corby

War Hero
who was more surprised ? you or him !!
Me actually. I had set myself with a lump hammer and crowbar but I thought I'd give the internet a look first. Its surprisingly easy to do. Those cheap safe's are also easy to get into if they're not bolted to a wall. If they are you can get into them but usually at the cost of the safe.

4(T)

LE
I was going to buy a key lockbox for my old man's care, but abandoned the idea after a bit of research - seems everything on the market be opened or broken with ease. I eventually went for a mechanical combination door lock instead.

Latest Threads