Master Driver Post

#1
Word on the street at Camp Death is that the MD role is going All Arms, apparently the RLC are not providing the "right kind of candidates"?
Bout time too....
 
#2
Just invite every other capbadge to do the RLCs job, because they think they can do better and watch them squirm in a pile of schitt.

SK
 

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
#3
SKJOLD said:
Just invite every other capbadge to do the RLCs job, because they think they can do better and watch them squirm in a pile of schitt.
SK
Come on SK - not a nice way to talk about your ex colleagues in RLC. Of course a real soldier would squirm (what a very descriptive word!) in the company of Really Large Cnuts. :wink: :lol:
 
#4
MD Is regarded as a glorified road safety officer in some circles. I left after 12 years as a lance jack and was vastly more experienced and qualified than many MD I had met.
 
#7
I am not judging them as SNCO's but in the role they serve as 'Master Drivers' implying that they have the most experience of driving, MT skills and has driven in all conditions around the world. I knew one who has never done a tour! Would you trust a SAAI who has only fired 20 rounds? Why should I trust a MD who has never driven an Tank Transporter to give me advice on how to do it? Incedently, one of the finest soldiers I know is about to become the Staff Master Driver at JHQ soon. And I know thet he has the experience to fulfil the role.
 
#8
Speedy said:
Why should I trust a MD who has never driven an Tank Transporter to give me advice on how to do it?
He will not give you advise on how to drive the Tank Transporter. He can't, but he will give you good advice on road safety. Rest assured if he was to make policy on such a truck, he would seek firm advise from the Tank Tpts fraternity.

Baggy
 
#9
I was a QTO or DDE as it is now I think and did the course because I wanted to, I have a Gunner friend who may be a contender from what I am hearing as a MD and well done to him :D
 
#12
I was the Master Driver for Berln Inf Bde, HQ BF Cyprus and HQ Scotland, I have been out 11 years. I have been tying to find any links on the net that will give me current informaintion on the Role of the Master Driver . Can anyone give me some pointer?

PS. I was in Tank Transporting for 13 years. 1972-80 3 Tk Tptr Sqn, 1980 414 Tk Tptr Tp 1981-86 16 Tk Tptr Sqn :) Happy Days
 
#13
I think within our Corps the MD was turning into a bit of a p*ss take with blokes who would never make WO2 normally getting promoted purely because they'd done the course not because they deserve it. Hopefully the last board proved that things have changed and you've got to make the grade as well. As for MD's generally, there's not many people in our Corps who answer directly to a 1 or 2 star, good work fellas!
 
#14
Empire said:
I left after 12 years as a lance jack and was vastly more experienced and qualified than many MD I had met.

To put it quite simpley:

NO YOU WERE NOT!

(I am not an MD, but i know a lot of them.)
Times have evolved since you left, which you failed to mention when you did leave. I would probably agree that you are vastly more experienced than some MD's when it comes to 'Tank Transporting', but you are not looking at the bigger picture. Not many people can sit in Div and Bde HQ and advise 1 and 2 stars, so instead of knocking MD's try and find out a little bit more of what they do.
 
#17
I was retraded at my 5 year point. I, along with many who suffered tha same fate were thrown on the career scrap heap. It didn't help that RLC MRO had quietly told us all the avearge time to make CPL in tank transporting was now 14 years. There are many, many jobs out there in the army with almost zero promotion prospects, do not take the p**s simply because some of us ended up in them. BTW its nice to see a year dead thread ressurected.
 
#18
Speedy said:
I was retraded at my 5 year point. I, along with many who suffered tha same fate were thrown on the career scrap heap. It didn't help that RLC MRO had quietly told us all the avearge time to make CPL in tank transporting was now 14 years. There are many, many jobs out there in the army with almost zero promotion prospects, do not take the p**s simply because some of us ended up in them. BTW its nice to see a year dead thread ressurected.
Surely this is a spelling mistake and in your case you meant retarded?
 
#19
I have nothing against the MD trade per se, but too many of them quickly drop the DDE qualification as soon as they get on the MD role. I would rather that they maintained their professional standing as the 'better qualified drivers throughout their time as MD.
 
#20
bianchi said:
I have nothing against the MD trade per se, but too many of them quickly drop the DDE qualification as soon as they get on the MD role. I would rather that they maintained their professional standing as the 'better qualified drivers throughout their time as MD.
As far as I know the majority of MD's do remain as DDE's especially if they run a DELTA, because no bugger else wants to test 8)
 

Latest Threads