Massive RC models.

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Tartan_Terrier, Jun 27, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Whilst watching Youtube yesterday I stumbled across a few videos of some really big remote control model aircraft. I was really surprised at the size of them, some of them having multiple radial engines and even sounding like real planes.

I can imagine that when you take it to this kind of level, it must cost nearly as much as flying real aircraft! Do you need some kind of special licence and/or insurance (one of these landing on your head could be a bit nasty!)?

Here are a couple of the vids I watched.

P47 with a 400cc radial engine: P-47 RAZORBACK Moki 400 - YouTube

Twin engined B25: Erstflug der B25 Mitchell mit 2 x 400ccm Moki-Sternmotoren im Maßstab 1:3 - YouTube

English Electric Lightning jet: GIANT SCALE RC EE LIGHTNING - 1/4 SCALE - LMA RC MODEL AIRSHOW - ROUGHAM 2013 - YouTube

Does anyone here do this kind of thing?

2. Fantastic! Can I have one of these? Although some of you would rather watch this on a loop instead.
  3. I should imagine that there are a lot of fathers who, having seen some of these, are grimly persuading their wives of the good sense in buying one for the educational benefit of a three month old daughter.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Mid-air:

• Like Like x 3
  5. That's actually footage of a life-size kamikaze. They're a very small people, the Japanese.
    • Like Like x 2

FORMER_FYRDMAN LE Book Reviewer

7. They're pretty smart. I wonder at what size they start to get classed as drones or require a civil pilots license to fly?

FORMER_FYRDMAN LE Book Reviewer

• Like Like x 1
  9. Love the second link - made me laugh out loud!

10. A couple of years ago some modellers turned up at one of my club's paragliding sites: Coombe Gibbet in Berkshire. They were flying model sail planes and seemed to know what they were doing - unfortunately one of the models drifted over to where we were flying beats (figure 8s along the ridge) and hit a female pilot full in the face. The shock and pain caused her to crash into the slope and do a herself a mild mischief. Meanwhile the old git who was controlling the model started to kick up about his toy plane getting trashed. That evening the gibbet that gives the hill it's name bore fruit again as the clumsy modeller danced to the tune of our derision.... Mwahahahha!
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Somewhat disconcerting article about the implications of cheap drone quadcopters.
  12. I clicked on this thread in confident expectation of a banquet of pictures of nude obese nuns.

What a gyp.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Tough luck. That's show-biz.