Massive RC models.

Whilst watching Youtube yesterday I stumbled across a few videos of some really big remote control model aircraft. I was really surprised at the size of them, some of them having multiple radial engines and even sounding like real planes.

I can imagine that when you take it to this kind of level, it must cost nearly as much as flying real aircraft! Do you need some kind of special licence and/or insurance (one of these landing on your head could be a bit nasty!)?

Here are a couple of the vids I watched.

P47 with a 400cc radial engine: P-47 RAZORBACK Moki 400 - YouTube

Twin engined B25: Erstflug der B25 Mitchell mit 2 x 400ccm Moki-Sternmotoren im Maßstab 1:3 - YouTube

English Electric Lightning jet: GIANT SCALE RC EE LIGHTNING - 1/4 SCALE - LMA RC MODEL AIRSHOW - ROUGHAM 2013 - YouTube

Does anyone here do this kind of thing?

T_T

I should imagine that there are a lot of fathers who, having seen some of these, are grimly persuading their wives of the good sense in buying one for the educational benefit of a three month old daughter.

A couple of years ago some modellers turned up at one of my club's paragliding sites: Coombe Gibbet in Berkshire. They were flying model sail planes and seemed to know what they were doing - unfortunately one of the models drifted over to where we were flying beats (figure 8s along the ridge) and hit a female pilot full in the face. The shock and pain caused her to crash into the slope and do a herself a mild mischief. Meanwhile the old git who was controlling the model started to kick up about his toy plane getting trashed. That evening the gibbet that gives the hill it's name bore fruit again as the clumsy modeller danced to the tune of our derision.... Mwahahahha!

When I was 15 I dabbled in CB radio and used to have a CB handset. I quickly learned that certain channels on this, when "keyed up" would affect radio controlled cars etc. I could even flick from FM to AM and shout at next door through their TV!

I once had great fun whilst stood at the top of Pendle Hill Watching R/C aircraft take a dive as I keyed up on channel 19.

On reflection - that was a right ***** trick and if I could go back in time I'd give myself a slap!

What went wrong with the heli/japanese fighter combo?

Was the heli in the wrong or the fighter?
The Chopper was below the fighter and so was in the wrong - the lower aircraft is supposed to give way to the upper - or ist it the other way around? Also when it comes to convergence: on the right 'in the right' as far as I can remember. There's some crap about flying towards hills too...

anyway, I hope that helps.

Latest Threads