Massive OpSec breach or cunning plot? Migrants crossing the channel.

I looked at the original, some were yachts on land so you could speculate many were AIS/Nav Beacons on vessels alongside, up canals, smaller channels or up onshore for sale/refurb etc.

AIS can be spoofed quite easily so could be that or a component ashore being fixed/serviced?
There are obviously small boats inland on trailers or up very small waterways. There is are also the possiblity that a transponder is out of the boat on dry land being fixed. The group of signals from around Manchester however did not, as far as I could see, claim to be boats they were all ID'd as onshore reference points.

The thing that still has me wondering is that their locations a) made no sense in relation to even the smallest waterways or any possible 'workshop' type facility b) as best I can tell, because I don't monitor the system 24/7, they all disappeared at the same time.

A2_Matelot

LE
Book Reviewer
There are obviously small boats inland on trailers or up very small waterways. There is are also the possiblity that a transponder is out of the boat on dry land being fixed. The group of signals from around Manchester however did not, as far as I could see, claim to be boats they were all ID'd as onshore reference points.

The thing that still has me wondering is that their locations a) made no sense in relation to even the smallest waterways or any possible 'workshop' type facility b) as best I can tell, because I don't monitor the system 24/7, they all disappeared at the same time.
Small boats typically don't use AIS because they're under 300 gross tonnes. Some yachty friends have it installed as an additional safety measure (class B) and increasingly it's added into some electronic charting/GPS and GMDSS solutions so you might have see a bizarrely odd number of small fishing/leisure boats online?

Small boats typically don't use AIS because they're under 300 gross tonnes. Some yachty friends have it installed as an additional safety measure (class B) and increasingly it's added into some electronic charting/GPS and GMDSS solutions so you might have see a bizarrely odd number of small fishing/leisure boats online?
Except it is a very bizar number and they all disappeared the same day. The best reasonable line I could think of is a company that make them gave one to each mmeber of staff to leave at home switched on for a couple of days to confirm they all showed up in the right place, except one of them was in the middle of a park and another on the top of the moors.

Latest Threads