Massive OpSec breach or cunning plot? Migrants crossing the channel.

I'm begining to wonder about this ship plotting thing, just found this
Pride of hull.jpg

she's about 20 miles inland!!!

It's not just AIS - that can be spoofed, turned off and simply not installed (under 300gT); there is a mix of RADAR in the Port areas, Dover TSS, combined with LRIT and VMS data; combined with visual reporting (dedicated and advisory air tasking) and intelligence (multi nation) reporting that is all fused.

Not matter what you try the smaller boats have a good chance for getting onto the channel undetected, especially if weather is on their side. The only alternative would be a huge string of EO/IR/AIS and RADAR chains along the coastline.

And then what, will that stop a yacht owner who has decided he's happy to take the risk and bring in a few people for pocket money?
Beadwindow ;)

Prompted by the above this is the picture on the West side of the Peak District. Apparently they are aids to navigation. Anyone able to tell me what that actaully means.
View attachment 384409
For all those that speculated about these items, they're not there this morning. being the sad compulsive that I am I shall continue to monitor the situation. Fresh speculation on the ntaure of the now either dismantled or mobile items is welcome.
blank.jpg

Interviewer says to bloke:
"So can all your detection kit identify these dinghies and other small boats they're coming across the channel in?"
"No, they're too small to be picked up"
I don't know a great deal about radar, but surely the lilo would need a radar reflector or something? I am open to enlightenment to the contrary though........

That being said, the channel is not that wide and the MkI eyeball with a hefty pair of binos should ID anyone in a rubber ring coming across? Again, happy to be educated.....

I don't know a great deal about radar, but surely the lilo would need a radar reflector or something? I am open to enlightenment to the contrary though........

That being said, the channel is not that wide and the MkI eyeball with a hefty pair of binos should ID anyone in a rubber ring coming across? Again, happy to be educated.....
The Channel is probably one of the busiest shipping lanes in the world: a contemporary snapshot of current traffic

Channel.JPG

Remember, this reflects only those vessels which are transmitting an AIS signal-and AIS is a legal requirement only on ships over 300 Gross Tonnes-that leaves an awful lot of smaller craft still pootling around rather crowded, narrow waters.

Binos and the Mk 1 Eyeball? Great-as long as the visibility is good, the weather fine and fare and sea state flat and calm. And you know what you're looking for. And you're looking in the right area.

Any sea state over 1-2m wave height, and your little rubber boat of Doctors and Engineers is lost to view.

@MrBane - your interviewee was (probably) being honest. Shore-based radar would have great difficulty in picking up something the size of a 2m inflatable (which seems to be the craft de jour) for such larks and japes.

Think about it: even with bodies on board, it probably doesn't present a profile higher than 1.5m or 2m wide. Now, put that in a sea running with a swell or a bit of a chop and a wave height of 2-3m and a background clutter of some BFO ships and Hey-presto!, our eager Doctors and Engineers are lost forever
I'm looking at the matter from an optimistic point of view, hence the minor change.

A2_Matelot

LE
Book Reviewer
I'm begining to wonder about this ship plotting thing, just found this
View attachment 384775
she's about 20 miles inland!!!
I looked at the original, some were yachts on land so you could speculate many were AIS/Nav Beacons on vessels alongside, up canals, smaller channels or up onshore for sale/refurb etc.

AIS can be spoofed quite easily so could be that or a component ashore being fixed/serviced?

Latest Threads