Massive OpSec breach or cunning plot? Migrants crossing the channel.

If only we had a maritime reconnaissance aircraft...
Wouldn't it be cheaper to work in collaboration with the traffickers, supply them all dinghies at knock down prices that are made to especially low standards

When failures start getting noticed by the NGO's and the like, just blame it on Brexit and it will sound believable to the SJW's

Everyone would be a winner

Manchester Ship Canal ?
There's quite an extensive navigable canal network in Manchester, if I remember rightly from Tim & Pru's narrowboat-based TV series, as several canals intersect there and also pass through the city. Stands to reason they'd navaid the shit out of it, given the number of "gifted amateurs" who take narrowboat charter holidays. Not that they're any better at using electronic guidance than they are reading a map.

Or steering a narrowboat...

Just close the borders and place a ban on immigration for a few years. Sweep the country with a fine tooth comb, if you're here illegally, off to a detention centre , deported within 2 weeks.
Get very hardline, very fast and watch them stop attempting to get here.
The likes of Lily Allen, Geldof and other Soros funded 'activists' would be trying through the courts to have that stopped on, you've guessed it, yuman rights grounds.

A premise examined in this somewhat excellent, if a little far-fetched in terms of the legal powers of the main protagonists, novel...

Although, personally, I'd die a happy man to see a Buccaneer screaming about the sky and potting smuggler vessels.
He was quite a good journo with some useful contacts back in the day.

Be assured he didn't tell me though, it was a nice man from BORTAC (one of the shooting instructors) a couple of years ago who was getting in his external courses and rocked up on a course I was on at Bill Rogers place. He painted quite an informative picture of cartel activities, eye opening.

BORTAC ===> https://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/files/documents/Border Patrol Tactical Unit.pdf

Last edited:
As the RAF are having trouble keeping their flying hours up I suggest a couple of squadrions of Super Tweets [ Cessna A-37 Dragonfly - Wikipedia] or similar COIN aircraft which could patrol the channel. A 7.62 minigun and a few 20 pounder practice bombs should provide suitable discouragement for the dusky sailors and has the added advantage that the RAF get strafing and bombing practice.

Truly a win-win.

Better still, one of these:
Textron AirLand Scorpion - Wikipedia
View attachment 384434
Grab a couple of Wart Hogs too to keep the infestation down. The Gatlings at full chat are music to my ears. :thumright:
A-10 Warthog.jpg

Manchester Ship Canal ?
There's quite an extensive navigable canal network in Manchester, if I remember rightly from Tim & Pru's narrowboat-based TV series, as several canals intersect there and also pass through the city. Stands to reason they'd navaid the shit out of it, given the number of "gifted amateurs" who take narrowboat charter holidays. Not that they're any better at using electronic guidance than they are reading a map.

Or steering a narrowboat...
Wrong side of Manchester. I've looked on Google maps at some of the locations and they're a housing estate and park and the middle of the moors.

A2_Matelot

LE
Book Reviewer
I've always wondered what this:
View attachment 384467
was; just outside Allhallows, Kent, overlooking the Thames - x-band?
Nope, just a navigation radar for the Thames approach. Commercial
The antenna looks the right size for X Band. There's nothing magic about X Band. It's just a definition of the frequency band in use.

Most commercial marine radar is X Band because the wavelength (~3cm/10GHz) allows small-ish antennas to be used so it can be fitted to even small boats.

X Band gives well defined targets but is prone to sea clutter and loss of range in rain. They use X Band radar to investigate rain by looking at how much attenuation the signal suffers.

If you've got a decent shipowner (and the room to fit it) S Band radar (10cm/3Ghz) gets over the clutter/interference problems but, because of its longer wavelength, gives poorer target definition. The antennas are also much bigger and it uses BFO coax as a feed which is difficult to handle.
It's just the Thames tracking network PLA Radar Network

A2_Matelot

LE
Book Reviewer
600+ ships transit the Channel every day. How do you think they ought to be tracked given the number of patrol boats we have?
It's not just AIS - that can be spoofed, turned off and simply not installed (under 300gT); there is a mix of RADAR in the Port areas, Dover TSS, combined with LRIT and VMS data; combined with visual reporting (dedicated and advisory air tasking) and intelligence (multi nation) reporting that is all fused.

Not matter what you try the smaller boats have a good chance for getting onto the channel undetected, especially if weather is on their side. The only alternative would be a huge string of EO/IR/AIS and RADAR chains along the coastline.

And then what, will that stop a yacht owner who has decided he's happy to take the risk and bring in a few people for pocket money?

Wrong side of Manchester. I've looked on Google maps at some of the locations and they're a housing estate and park and the middle of the moors.
They don't need to be along the canals; just in a known location.

They don't need to be along the canals; just in a known location.
I'm not convinced. Next time I drive into that area I may go and have a look. Presumably there would need to be at least a mast.

A 'massive dimwit who doesn't understand how radar works'? Honestly not heard anything that snobby for a while, good effort.

I never mentioned radar, nor did the guy in the radio. Merely that they had ways of tracking vessels. It's a hush hush organisation with little known publicly about it from what I gather, thus an element of bluffing could be easily achieved.

My post was asking, should he have just said 'Yes, we can track anything' which would have kept the criminals guessing, rather than a flat confirmation of lack of ability?

Could be radar, audio, visual, satellite, buoy sensors, ******* laser wielding dolphins for all I know!
I think you'll find it's sharks that have the fricking lasers.

Just read the OP.

OPSEC Breach = Bad

OPSEC Breach discussed on a public forum = Bad cubed (BadxBadxBad)

and now i’ve compounded the error by commenting. :-(

Just close the borders and place a ban on immigration for a few years. Sweep the country with a fine tooth comb, if you're here illegally, off to a detention centre , deported within 2 weeks.
Get very hardline, very fast and watch them stop attempting to get here.
Do what they used to do in Honkers with the Vietnamese boat people; stick them in a Herc and give them a free return home flight.

Latest Threads