Massive OpSec breach or cunning plot? Migrants crossing the channel.

Just close the borders and place a ban on immigration for a few years. Sweep the country with a fine tooth comb, if you're here illegally, off to a detention centre , deported within 2 weeks.
Get very hardline, very fast and watch the queue of ambulance-chasing lawyers rapidly form.
The reality....

They are probably Navaids run by the National Air Traffic Services.

Have a look here: UK Aviation NavAids Gallery

Or here: NATS | AIS - Home

I used to live near the Ockham Beacon and sit in the back garden watching the stacked planes circling my house waiting to land at Heathrow. I flew over my house five times one day coming back from Washington.

There do seem to be a lot of them in that picture though. Got a link to it?
They're all on MarineTraffic: Global Ship Tracking Intelligence | AIS Marine Traffic It seem a bit illogical where they all are. All around the East of Manchester not the rest of the UK. I've tried Google Maps and can't see anything in the places they are, just parks and housing estates.

OV-10D. Much more fun.
Fun? FUN...??!! It's not about fun. It's about loiter speed, endurance and supporting British industry in the post-Brexit world.

On the other hand, a Bronco wouldn't need modifying to tool it up.

And knowing our Europhile government, they'd probably insist new Opticas were license-built on the continent to cement their status as "good" Europeans, like Gordon and the new lorry for the army. Bastards.

OV-10D. Much more fun.
Maybe you can talk Uncle Sugar into sending the last Broncos (10D and 10G+ to Engerland instead of the Philippines. They are giving them away after all. If you can't talk them out of the Broncos, inquire about the A-10 Warthogs. The Airforce doesn't like them much, and has been trying to retire them for years... They might even pay you to take them off their hands.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Did you ever practice a drill with another vessel and your and its heli's all in a huddle and when the (simulated) swarm of Soviet AS missiles come in you all separate and the one big "carrier" target suddenly becomes four, splitting off the missiles and making them easier to knock over with countermeasures?

Or is that just Tom Clancy fantasy wibble...?
Wibble.

We had electrickery that did the same thing and would negate the need for such ******* about.

I've always wondered what this:
View attachment 384467
was; just outside Allhallows, Kent, overlooking the Thames - x-band?

The antenna looks the right size for X Band. There's nothing magic about X Band. It's just a definition of the frequency band in use.

Most commercial marine radar is X Band because the wavelength (~3cm/10GHz) allows small-ish antennas to be used so it can be fitted to even small boats.

X Band gives well defined targets but is prone to sea clutter and loss of range in rain. They use X Band radar to investigate rain by looking at how much attenuation the signal suffers.

If you've got a decent shipowner (and the room to fit it) S Band radar (10cm/3Ghz) gets over the clutter/interference problems but, because of its longer wavelength, gives poorer target definition. The antennas are also much bigger and it uses BFO coax as a feed which is difficult to handle.

Maybe you can talk Uncle Sugar into sending the last Broncos (10D and 10G+ to Engerland instead of the Philippines. They are giving them away after all. If you can't talk them out of the Broncos, inquire about the A-10 Warthogs. The Airforce doesn't like them much, and has been trying to retire them for years... They might even pay you to take them off their hands.
From your lips to God's ears.

Actually, if there are a couple of A10s and Broncos going spare they could do a lot of good around pirate alley and the Bight of Benin keeping a lid on BH and al Shabab. If they need a grumpy old cunt to fly them, look for the curmudgeonly type drooling over them and hopping from foot to foot, almost wazzing himself in anticipation.

A 'massive dimwit who doesn't understand how radar works'? Honestly not heard anything that snobby for a while, good effort.

I never mentioned radar, nor did the guy in the radio. Merely that they had ways of tracking vessels. It's a hush hush organisation with little known publicly about it from what I gather, thus an element of bluffing could be easily achieved.

My post was asking, should he have just said 'Yes, we can track anything' which would have kept the criminals guessing, rather than a flat confirmation of lack of ability?

Could be radar, audio, visual, satellite, buoy sensors, ******* laser wielding dolphins for all I know!

Radar detect Small boats in the Channel?

X Band can -

- and yes its there

https://www.easat.com/download/brochure/Coastal-brochure.pdf
I had a very good mate, TA para at the time, whose day job was as a cuzzer, he managed to get himself on a regular crew rotation on the custom's cutter. From the tales he told between the organisations working in that neck there ain't much bigger than a bottle with a message in it that can float unobserved across the channel.

Here is southern Spain we also have a problem with our dusky chums arriving uninvited on the beaches. They used to (until quite recently) be stuck straight back on a boat to Morocco. We also have quite a problem with people bringing across drugs in fast RIBs.

The Guardia Civil has a very sophisticated 'early warning' system based on cameras and radar. The section of Guardia Civil involved with this is called SIVE - worth a Google to see how impressive it is.

From your lips to God's ears.

Actually, if there are a couple of A10s and Broncos going spare they could do a lot of good around pirate alley and the Bight of Benin keeping a lid on BH and al Shabab. If they need a grumpy old cunt to fly them, look for the curmudgeonly type drooling over them and hopping from foot to foot, almost wazzing himself in anticipation.
Microlight with a Barrett mounted, do the job, no worries. Mind you'd have to mount the Barrett on bungee's.

I have never understood why the cargo vessels going through pirate alley don't use microlights, or autogyros, to do recce work.

Shitty weather restricts them, along with short range. Also wouldn't want to be bimbling about over shark country in something powered by an old washing machine donkey. Easier using radar and a couple of armed security blokes.

OV-10 loiter time, particularly with external tanks, would be the win, along with the ability to hose down skiffs with 7.62 if they got frisky.

Here is southern Spain we also have a problem with our dusky chums arriving uninvited on the beaches. They used to (until quite recently) be stuck straight back on a boat to Morocco. We also have quite a problem with people bringing across drugs in fast RIBs.

The Guardia Civil has a very sophisticated 'early warning' system based on cameras and radar. The section of Guardia Civil involved with this is called SIVE - worth a Google to see how impressive it is.
Ah, and there it is.............one of, if not the, main reasons all these so called ISIS and Ali Q fundamentalists are active in the sub-Saharan and Saharan region. It is easier for the cartels to ship their product to easily bribeable West Africa then have it driven north across the desert to the north African coast where it is taken by fast RIB to southern Europe.

The terrorism and fighting in the region is to control drug routes and the ability to 'tax' people driving up. Ghana used to be one of the ingress routes into Africa favoured by the cartels, it may have changed, probably has. Want to stop the problems in west africa, and the onward movement of drugs to europe, then go give the cartels in central and south america a no-mercy kicking.

Last edited:
Ah, and there it is.............one of, if not the, main reasons all these so called ISIS and Ali Q fundamentalists are active in the sub-Saharan and Saharan region. It is easier for the cartels to ship their product to easily bribeable West Africa then have it driven north across the desert to the north African coast where it is taken by fast RIB to southern Europe.

The terrorism and fighting in the region is to control drug routes and the ability to 'tax' people driving up. Ghana used to be one of the ingress routes into Africa favoured by the cartels, it may have changed, probably has. Want to stop the problems in west africa, and the onward movement of drugs to europe, then go give the cartels in central and south america a no-mercy kicking.
A premise examined in this somewhat excellent, if a little far-fetched in terms of the legal powers of the main protagonists, novel...

Although, personally, I'd die a happy man to see a Buccaneer screaming about the sky and potting smuggler vessels.

Whole governments corrupted, billionaire gangsters, psychotic little cnuts armed with cutlasses.......

Wouldn't it be cheaper to just hand the sodding stuff out in Tesco, at cost ?

Latest Threads