Massive OpSec breach or cunning plot? Migrants crossing the channel.

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Listening to Radio 4, which in itself is strange as I don't wee myself nor stink of dead cats, and they were talking to a chap at the Intel group based on the coast who watch the Channel - some version of GCHQ but for border work.

Press never get in, Radio 4 did.

Interviewer says to bloke:
"So can all your detection kit identify these dinghies and other small boats they're coming across the channel in?"
"No, they're too small to be picked up"

Eh.. surely that answer would be "Yes. We could find a pot of piss if it floated across".

Cue all the trafficker downsizing to Decathlon and Go Outdoors hobby rafts.

Coffee minus biscuits or insignificant bit of info? I feel he dropped the ball and is going to wear it - any intel no matter how small can aid these traffickers and put more lives at risk.

Listening to Radio 4, which in itself is strange as I don't wee myself nor stink of dead cats, and they were talking to a chap at the Intel group based on the coast who watch the Channel - some version of GCHQ but for border work.

Press never get in, Radio 4 did.

Interviewer says to bloke:
"So can all your detection kit identify these dinghies and other small boats they're coming across the channel in?"
"No, they're too small to be picked up"

Eh.. surely that answer would be "Yes. We could find a pot of piss if it floated across".
Thus identifying yourself as a massive dimwit who doesn't understand how radar works or why radar reflectors are available for 15 quid.

The laws of physics aren't amenable to bullshit as the man from GCHQ knows only too well.

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Thus identifying yourself as a massive dimwit who doesn't understand how radar works or why radar reflectors are available for 15 quid.

The laws of physics aren't amenable to bullshit as the man from GCHQ knows only too well.
A 'massive dimwit who doesn't understand how radar works'? Honestly not heard anything that snobby for a while, good effort.

I never mentioned radar, nor did the guy in the radio. Merely that they had ways of tracking vessels. It's a hush hush organisation with little known publicly about it from what I gather, thus an element of bluffing could be easily achieved.

My post was asking, should he have just said 'Yes, we can track anything' which would have kept the criminals guessing, rather than a flat confirmation of lack of ability?

Could be radar, audio, visual, satellite, buoy sensors, ******* laser wielding dolphins for all I know!

A 'massive dimwit who doesn't understand how radar works'? Honestly not heard anything that snobby for a while, good effort.

I never mentioned radar, nor did the guy in the radio. Merely that they had ways of tracking vessels. It's a hush hush organisation with little known publicly about it from what I gather, thus an element of bluffing could be easily achieved.

My post was asking, should he have just said 'Yes, we can track anything' which would have kept the criminals guessing, rather than a flat confirmation of lack of ability?

Could be radar, audio, visual, satellite, buoy sensors, ******* laser wielding dolphins for all I know!

600+ ships transit the Channel every day. How do you think they ought to be tracked given the number of patrol boats we have?

There are ways that can indicate areas/targets that “require further inspection or a closer look”.

Last edited:
They are too small to notice when they sink halfway across, or better...

We haven't noticed any of the ones that sank halfway across as of yet.
The radar will not be upgraded because they are reaching our shores illegally, but because they are failing to reach our shores illegally.

There is a certain Dr Strangelove-esqueness about it.

Here's a picture of the English Channel at 0020 on a Monday morning and this is just the ships that are transmitting AIS data. Rowing boats don't do AIS.

View attachment 384396
Prompted by the above this is the picture on the West side of the Peak District. Apparently they are aids to navigation. Anyone able to tell me what that actaully means.
AtN.jpg

TheresaMay

ADC
DirtyBAT
*or*

Perhaps he said that knowing it would encourage more of them to make the journey in high risk dinghies?

After all, a caught migrant having been slapped on wrist and sent home will only try again sooner or later. A dead migrant won't.

Tin foil, check. Taps nose...

Prompted by the above this is the picture on the West side of the Peak District. Apparently they are aids to navigation. Anyone able to tell me what that actaully means.
View attachment 384409
Aids to navigation include, but are not limited to, buoys, fog signals, lighthouses, and beacons (radio or light). In addition to issues nautical, aids to navigation are also employed in aviation. Hopefully this clears up any issues for you.

*or*

Perhaps he said that knowing it would encourage more of them to make the journey in high risk dinghies?

After all, a caught migrant having been slapped on wrist and sent home will only try again sooner or later. A dead migrant won't.

Tin foil, check. Taps nose...
and as we all know we couldn't detect the tiny dingy that was in trouble, so not our fault we couldn't rescue it for resale. help the poor migrants

@MrBane - your interviewee was (probably) being honest. Shore-based radar would have great difficulty in picking up something the size of a 2m inflatable (which seems to be the craft de jour) for such larks and japes.

Think about it: even with bodies on board, it probably doesn't present a profile higher than 1.5m or 2m wide. Now, put that in a sea running with a swell or a bit of a chop and a wave height of 2-3m and a background clutter of some BFO ships and Hey-presto!, our eager Doctors and Engineers are lost to view.

Latest Threads