Massive loyalist weapons cache found

By Deborah McAleese
Friday, 17 October 2008

Police have uncovered over 80 loyalist paramilitary weapons and thousands of bullets during the search of a house in north Belfast.

The massive arms cache, believed to be linked to the UVF, was uncovered by officers investigating the sudden death of a man in the area. The man has been named locally as William Bell from Ballysillan Drive.

The circumstances surrounding Mr Bell’s death are still under investigation, however police are not treating it as suspicious at this time.

It is understood he may have taken his own life.

Police today said that during follow-up searches they discovered more guns in lock-up premises in greater Belfast.

All weapons and ammunition have been taken away to be examined by forensic experts.

This is one of the biggest arms dumps ever found in Belfast and ballistic tests will be carried out on every weapon to determine if they have been used.

It is understood the guns and ammunition are linked to the UVF, which last year effectively declared an end to its campaign of violence by announcing the organisation was adopting a non-military and civilian role.

Billy Hutchinson, a member of the PUP who has represented the UVF at meetings with the international decommissioning body, said he hoped to make a full statement later....................
Belfast Tele

Ere Gerry...They have'nt gone away either you know!

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
My son is now eating his laughter, which was directed at me when the UVF and others 'put all their arms beyond reach'.

At the time I said they were only on top of the wardrobe.

Many a true word ..

Grownup_Rafbrat said:
My son is now eating his laughter, which was directed at me when the UVF and others 'put all their arms beyond reach'.

Many a true word ..
Nah.....they were under the bed..... :)

I have a funny feeling that this might end up being a wee bit of a non-event. :wink:

80 weapons and "thousands of bullets" is "massive weapons cache" ? :p

Oh well, probably in NI scale.

Grownup_Rafbrat said:

Many a true word ..
I thought exactly the same thing; what we were being given was not all they had. Discoveries like this will be made on an infrequent basis for years.

CRmeansCeilingReached said:
what's the betting that some or all of them turn out to be paintball guns? :?

:D Mostly airsoft I'd say.... With maybe the odd de-ac mortar thrown in.