Massive job and budget cuts expected for French military

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by fantassin, Apr 29, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Massive job and budget cuts expected for French military

Created 2013-04-29 13:09
    By RFI
    France
    Up to 24,000 French military jobs are said to be on the line as the French government prepares to release a new defence white paper later today. The paper comes amid discussions about France’s future military role, particularly in Africa.

The white paper, nine months in the making, will set out French military expenditure between 2014 and 2019.

It is expected to recommend between 20,000 and 24,000 job cuts over the next four years, according to the French business daily Les Echos and the national daily Le Monde. However, the number of posts lost in individual army department has not been decided.

Military spending will be frozen at 31.4 billion euros next year. By 2015, the economic ministry reportedly wants it lowered to 28 billion euros, according to Le Monde.

Total military spending from 2014 and 2019 will be 179.2 billion euros.

The previous president, Nicholas Sarkozy, began the process of cutting 54,000 military posts between 2008 and 2015.

The paper is expected to maintain French military bases in Africa. In January, France led a military intervention to drive out Islamists in northern Mali.

President François Hollande is said to be keen on France maintaining close military ties with the rest of Europe and NATO.

The white paper will be presented to parliament and be voted on after the summer.

Massive job and budget cuts expected for French military - France - RFI

So 24,000 + 10,000 from the previous round of cuts, that leave a total of 34,000 servicemen and women still to go....

The Armed forces have given Hollande the one and only success of his tenure and guess what ? They are the first to be axed...why am I not surprised ?

2. He's a politician - why are you surprised should be the main centre of your reasoning.

8-O FFS you didn't trust him did you?

3. A case of use or lose it, but also one of use it and lose it anyway :)
    There appear to be deeper currents at work here, since govs of both the right and the left over Europe are looking to reduce military spending.

4. The deeper currents are that Governments don't care about their primary roles of defending the (in our case) Realm and more about stuffing more money into social welfare programmes and bankers pockets - both at the same time.

5. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

I blame poor education. If they'd had more history they might have studied the fall of the Roman empire. Bread and circuses, a lack of a citzenry prepared to fight and the overuse of mercenaries.

• Like Like x 3
  6. The priority of Hollande over the past year was to make sure arrse bandits could marry and adopt. This now being done, next priority is to destroy the armed forces and prop up the gendarmerie which is soon going to be bigger in number than the army.

As for the army, it will soon fit in the stade de France with plenty of space left for guests.

7. Its nothing to do with the political leanings of the French Government is principally the pan european financial problems all governments across Europe are looking for cost reductions, the fact the cold war is over justified this continued down sizing

Sad fact of life I am afraid......

8. Define current "existential" threats to the UK / France?

9. I was under the impression that the Gendarmarie was part of the French Army - at least that's what my French brother-in-law told me, and his son transferred from Army Aviation into the Gendarmes.

10. Islamic threat from Middle East, which is closer to France than the UK

Beyond that. Who knows what threats are going to pop in the next 5 years.

Nobody would have put money on the success of the Arab Spring uprisings, now Syria is in the middle of a Civil war that's dragged on for a couple of years and a whole host of agreements that kept intra-Sate wars in the Middle East are under intense pressure. No one will chuck money down on the table that Egypt might decide that the peace deal with Israel can be dropped. The current government seems intent on throwing away every single promise to keep Egypt as it was under the old regime, maybe that peace deal is worth breaking to keep the the nutter end of The Bortherhood support happy ?

Who knows ?

11. Islamic threat from Middle East, which is closer to France than the UK

Beyond that. Who knows what threats are going to pop in the next 5 years.

Nobody would have put money on the success of the Arab Spring uprisings, now Syria is in the middle of a Civil war that's dragged on for a couple of years and a whole host of agreements that kept intra-Sate wars in the Middle East are under intense pressure. No one will chuck money down on the table that Egypt might decide that the peace deal with Israel can be dropped. The current government seems intent on throwing away every single promise to keep Egypt as it was under the old regime, maybe that peace deal is worth breaking to keep the the nutter end of the Brotherhood support happy ?

Who knows ?

It's enough to say that anyone who can predict the shape of the world in 5 years times is a complete deluded f**kwit and should be ignored.

12. France also has a massive North African/Moslem population legacy of its retreat from empire - they must be very twitchy looking at the way North Africa is heading, post Arab Spring.

13. Yep......

The main point is that no one can judge what's going to happen over the next few years and it can take decades to get major defense projects to complete.

14. The gendarmerie is part of the MoD, the gendarmes are considered as military personnel but the gendarmerie is not part of the army. It is permanently put under MoI command and 95% of its activities are located in France but sometimes it takes part in overseas Op either as a counter riot force (Kosovo) or as rule of law experts (Afghanistan)

15. Thanks for that - I can never find out exactly what the Gendarmarie actually does. My French wife talks airily about 'you can get a bed for the night if you are a soldier on leave' but whenever I spend any time in France there appears to be a number of Police organisations all operating independently. Where, for example, do the responsibilities of the Police Nationale end and the Gendarmarie take over?