Massive Earthquake Hits Japan *Merged*

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Count.Dracule, Mar 11, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. just got tsunami bulletin with following:

Already have seen news reports of tsunami hitting Japan but I do not have local specifics

ARRSEr's in Pacific region - Stay Safe
  2. 33ft wave hits Japan!

1 reported dead so far (amazingly)!
  3. I'm just watching it on breakfast TV. Huge Chemical plants ablaze an airport in ruins and well what appears to be some large factories being washed over by water and debris (not sure on the last bit, but that's what it looks like.
  4. The video on the BBC website is eye opening!
  5. The Red Cross are reporting that the wave is now higher than some pacific islands. You just can't picture it can you.
  6. If that's the case it will be awful devastation. We (i.e. western countries) could expect significant deployment of naval resources for humanitarian aid.
  7. Tsunami (sp) warnings are as wide spread as Russia, Australia and The West Coast of the US. The Tsunami is due to hit the Phillippines about now. I know we get frustrated at times with things in this country, but we at least don't suffer such terrible natural disasters.
  8. Yup, this is going to be a big one, especially if it carries across the Pacific to North/South America. 2004 mkii...
  9. terroratthepicnic

terroratthepicnic LE Reviewer Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Runners

Some pacific island are barely a foot or two above sea level though, so not really that difficult. Although there should be some good surfing in Hawaii some time today though.
  10. Terrifying, when you look and see the highest point of some islands in the pacific is 3 metres and this wave is 33ft high it really brings it home.
  11. Fronty

Fronty Old-Salt Book Reviewer

Radio 4 were reporting that the wave front is 1m in deep water. The whole of the Pacific rim is going to get hit badly.
  12. from the US (east coast)
    Sirens are now sounding in Hawai'i. Warning has extended to US mainland coast:
    US National Weather Service has info at
  13. Well, if you are in Japan, I hope you can swim. The video coverage on the BBC show scenes of complete devastation. There's coverage of what look like fairly sizable ships being carried considerable distances inland by the water. I hope the casualties are minimal but it looks extremely serious.