Massive earthquake (6.4) in California during 4 July celebrations

Well it is not really a city. China Lake Naval Station has about 5000 military and civilian employees spread out over 1,100,000 acres or about 1700 square miles. More of a desert than a city really
then it doesn't matter does it

Well it is not really a city. China Lake Naval Station has about 5000 military and civilian employees spread out over 1,100,000 acres or about 1700 square miles. More of a desert than a city really
Slightly digressing, am sure there will be a Brit (Royal Navy aircrew or two ) on exchange in either China Lake or Point Mugu for sure. Well Adrian Orchard OBE was a decade ago a Point Mugu flying AV-8B Harier II Plus, F/A-18 and even logged hours in AH-1W Super Cobra.

I gather flight ops have been temporarily suspended from both China Lake and Point Mugu in lieu of the wee crack.

Cheers

Just another update on California. It does sound like China Lake is in the hardest hit area.

SoCal strep #4

Just a note. The link to the FEMA operational is not just for California but covers many things around the country (tropical weather on the Gulf Coast) and lots of details of ongoing FEMA disaster relief work in many states. California is described on the top part of the FEMA ops briefing.
The Governor of California requested a disaster declaration late Saturday but that always takes a couple of days for approval as the state has to provide estimates of damage and costs for each county for which the declaration is requested. In this case the request is for two counties.

As to Los Angeles, my son reported that a few things fell off shelves and broke but nothing major. Mainly picking up his girlfriends shampoos, conditioners etc off the shower floor. He said as of Monday PM they were still getting aftershock tremors, especially noticeable in the high rise where he works.

Another update.
president Trump has signed a disaster declaration so FEMA can provide Stafford Act emergency funds to the state

A bit like accidentally farting as you orgasm. It's just an age related thing.
Accidentally?

I find it seals the deal & you don't have to cuddle them afterwards.

That's going to stick in some peoples throats..
I was a bit surprised that California Governor David Newsom actually was reasonably gracious when he announced that Trump had signed the FEMA emergency declaration. Newsom, the former Mayor of San Francisco is a very liberal Democrat. The sort that wakes each morning trying to think something nasty to say about Trump.

Trump has appointed Robert Fenton, the Regional Administrator of FEMA region IX, (southern west coast and Pacific islands) as the Federal Coordinating Officer for this disaster. Fenton knows the area and knows FEMA. When Trump was first elected he appointed Fenton acting head of FEMA until his appointee was confirmed by the Senate.
No word on commitment of funds yet. California will submit a preliminary damage assessment tomorrow and funds will be obligated a day or two later.

This is clearly no longer breaking news but I know some on here are involved in emergency response in some way and others are involved in signals so a couple of updates.

One thing that surprised me were reports that the earthquake affected HF propagation and apparently the disruption started before the physical quake. Of interest in that there is currently no way to predict earthquakes. An interesting development.

ARRL article

Scientific American article

The US Naval Institute has an article on the situation at NAWS China Lake
ISNI Article

Previous news said no fatalities. Apparently there was one. A body was found of a man who had jacked up his decrepit old jeep to work under it and the jeep fell on his head.

Also, a friends facebook page had a picture illustrating the vertical displacement from the quake in the China Lake region (not on the NAWS area though)
RidgecrestVertical.jpg