Mass US protest against Iraq war

Sven said:
SLRboy said:
Maybe this might be away to go,
from a poster commenting on an article by someone called Russel Shaw on the huffington:

Uh...yeah....

FIRST - watch the Libby trial and JUMP ON THE FIRST FACT that Cheney lied and broke his oath of office.

REMOVE CHENEY FROM OFFICE (see Spiro Agnew for reference)

SECOND - REMOVE BUSH FROM OFFICE DUE TO MEDICAL/PSCHYCOLOGICAL INCAPACITY. There has to be SOMEthing buried in that rulebook that Sen. Byrd pulls out of his vestpocket.

There - that removes the obviously mentally ill duo of faith-based doomday from poking at that big red button with "EASY" on it.

IT BOILS DOWN TO GETTING OVER THE EMBARRASSMENT OF HAVING TO DO THIS VERY REAL DEED THAT IS KEEPING NORMAL AMERICANS FROM DOING THEIR DUTY AS REPRESENTATIVES.

Use it or Lose it, folks.

And a brisk walk over to yell at the symbol of all that's wrong with America today is a very very healthy thing to do.

I encourage everyone to try it at least once.
Hmmmm

Has about the same legs as impeachment

:thumbdown:
sven - have you got a problem with people airing possible solutions to the problem of America being run by what is in effect a mentally deranged chimp or something?

I bet before the war began you were one of those sons of b'itches that said we had no alternative but to go along with it whether we liked it or not, weren't you?

SLRboy said:
Sven said:
SLRboy said:
Maybe this might be away to go,
from a poster commenting on an article by someone called Russel Shaw on the huffington:

Uh...yeah....

FIRST - watch the Libby trial and JUMP ON THE FIRST FACT that Cheney lied and broke his oath of office.

REMOVE CHENEY FROM OFFICE (see Spiro Agnew for reference)

SECOND - REMOVE BUSH FROM OFFICE DUE TO MEDICAL/PSCHYCOLOGICAL INCAPACITY. There has to be SOMEthing buried in that rulebook that Sen. Byrd pulls out of his vestpocket.

There - that removes the obviously mentally ill duo of faith-based doomday from poking at that big red button with "EASY" on it.

IT BOILS DOWN TO GETTING OVER THE EMBARRASSMENT OF HAVING TO DO THIS VERY REAL DEED THAT IS KEEPING NORMAL AMERICANS FROM DOING THEIR DUTY AS REPRESENTATIVES.

Use it or Lose it, folks.

And a brisk walk over to yell at the symbol of all that's wrong with America today is a very very healthy thing to do.

I encourage everyone to try it at least once.
Hmmmm

Has about the same legs as impeachment

:thumbdown:
sven - have you got a problem with people airing possible solutions to the problem of America being run by what is in effect a mentally deranged chimp or something?

I bet before the war began you were one of those sons of b'itches that said we had no alternative but to go along with it whether we liked it or not, weren't you?
My view is very similar to Paddy Ashdowns - right war, possibly for the wrong reason

"My view is very similar to Paddy Ashdowns - right war, possibly for the wrong reason"

In which case sven you are a total prat - because that is a logical nonsence.
And tell me, is the RIGHT war that was fought for the WRONG reason being fought in a RIGHT or WRONG way?
And if you think that this RIGHT war war fought for WRONG reasons is being fought WRONGLY how can we make this RIGHT war be fought the RIGHT way rather than a RIGHT war war fought the WRONG way

No, on second thoughts don't bother answering - Lewis Carrol writes better than you.

SLRboy said:
"My view is very similar to Paddy Ashdowns - right war, possibly for the wrong reason"

And tell me, is the RIGHT war that was fought for the WRONG reason being fought in a RIGHT or WRONG way?
And if you think that this RIGHT war war fought for WRONG reasons is being fought WRONGLY how can we make this RIGHT war be fought the RIGHT way rather than a RIGHT war war fought the WRONG way

No, on second thoughts don't bother answering - Lewis Carrol writes better than you.

SLRboy said:

Why do You persist in trying to demean me, rather than debating what I say.

The way debates go is that one person communicates his point, and a second or more people speak of why they think that point is wrong.

Have a go at it SLR boy, start with telling me why You think this is the wrong war

crabtastic said:
KGB_resident said:
Phil306 said:
Sorry, this isn't a "mass" anything. You don't like the war, I understand that. However, don't make things out to be what they aren't.

"Tens of thousands" in a population of 300 million is merely a drop...
...in the ocean. Absolutely agree. So called right for protests for demonstrations is a senselees thing. You have right to protest, a government (administration) has right to ignore it.

It is a democracy.
The Gospel according to St Vladimir of Putin, Chapter 12, Verses 7-11.
:thumright:

...nations have no command over their governments, and in fact no influence over them, except of a fleeting and rather ineffectual sort.

St. Mark (Twain). From message to Baroness von Suttner.

Sven said:
SLRboy said:

Why do You persist in trying to demean me, rather than debating what I say.

The way debates go is that one person communicates his point, and a second or more people speak of why they think that point is wrong.

Have a go at it SLR boy, start with telling me why You think this is the wrong war
Sven,

That’s where you’re going wrong mate, it’s not a debate that monghead is after, but rather he’s after everyone praising him after he’s reveled the truth to them, thus clearing up their incorrect world view.

Or it could be he’s just a tw@t who likes the sound of his own voice
:winkrazz:

Sven said:
Having perused the website Frenchperson linked to I was interested to note that there was no post meeting analysis of the various meetings they have already held - no jubilent crowing about the meetings being a sell out, they haven't even reported what the various speakers said.

Incidentally, how many bums on seats can the Sir Charles Wilson building hold - it being a converted church and all?, or the Methodist Hall in Westminster, or the Friends Meeting Room in WC1 - thousands? Hundreds?

Of course the proof of the pudding will be the march on the 24th of February - will they eclipse the million who marched the first time. I await the next month with interest
Points taken. Protestors see the effects of a successful campaign and move on. Just noticed this little snippet in yesterday's Independent, which indicates growing international disapproval:

A BBC survey this month taken in 25 countries shows that an overwhelming majority of international opinion disapproves of US policy in the 'war on terror', and believes that America's involvement in the Middle East causes more problems than it solves.

Ok, the above is a summing up, but are we seeing the beginning of the end for US aggression, or at least the international community's tolerance of it?

frenchperson said:
Sven said:
Having perused the website Frenchperson linked to I was interested to note that there was no post meeting analysis of the various meetings they have already held - no jubilent crowing about the meetings being a sell out, they haven't even reported what the various speakers said.

Incidentally, how many bums on seats can the Sir Charles Wilson building hold - it being a converted church and all?, or the Methodist Hall in Westminster, or the Friends Meeting Room in WC1 - thousands? Hundreds?

Of course the proof of the pudding will be the march on the 24th of February - will they eclipse the million who marched the first time. I await the next month with interest
Points taken. Protestors see the effects of a successful campaign and move on. Just noticed this little snippet in yesterday's Independent, which indicates growing international disapproval:

A BBC survey this month taken in 25 countries shows that an overwhelming majority of international opinion disapproves of US policy in the 'war on terror', and believes that America's involvement in the Middle East causes more problems than it solves.

Ok, the above is a summing up, but are we seeing the beginning of the end for US aggression, or at least the international community's tolerance of it?
link to the report

Hummmmmmmmmmm, its not quite what frenchmong makes out, if this is the right report.

"Have a go at it SLR boy, start with telling me why You think this is the wrong war"

If things go on the way they are in Iraq by the end of this year as much as one million people may very well of died as a result of this war.
Do you know what 'people' are sven?

Individually they are known as 'persons'.
You might even know some yourself sven. Some you love, some you hate, some you like and some you don't.

So lets do a very rough and ready cost/benefit analysis shall we?
We in Britain were first told we had to invade Iraq because they possessed WMD. and we had to find and destroy them.
Now that bit of the war alone cost a certain quantity of of lives, treasure, and armed might.
Did we find any - of course not.

So the first quantity of lives, treasure and armed might might as well have been poured down the drain for all the good that it did with regards that goal.
Now we are there, we are apparently pouring more troops, materiel and treasure into the project of trying to create a stable democracy in Iraq.

And it surely must by now be self evident to all but the terminally deluded that it is all the time costing us more dearly than ever before and yet we are now getting further and further than ever from that particular goal.

In fact the more we continue on our wasteful path that has now gone beyond the mere profligate the further away the goal becomes.
Apart from anything sven, it has been an almost insanely gloriously stupid and extravagant waste of human life and all for absolutely no discernable good whatsoever.

So in short my dear friend sven:
If you were to appear before the venture capitalists on the Dragons Den T.V. show looking for financial backing for such a venture as the Iraq war, not only would they all give you a blank -THEY'D KICK YOUR F'UCKING ARSE DOWN THE STAIRS AND OUT THE BUILDING FOR GOOD MEASURE FOR INSULTING THEIR INTELLIGENCE!

I do hope I have finally made myself clear on this point and that we might return to thread which is nothing more than a discussion as to what to do now with a bankrupt war and how we might proceed now it is in effect in receivership.

frenchperson said:
Sven said:

What proportion of people in those states actually changed their minds about the war, what was the increase in the proportion of people against the war. I suspect that there is no major change in the way people in certain countries think.

As I think I have demonstrated, whilst there maybe a majority of people in the UK who do not support the war, those who wish to take any action about it are falling in number, including those who should have voted for the Lib Dems in the last election

SLRboy said:
"Have a go at it SLR boy, start with telling me why You think this is the wrong war"

If things go on the way they are in Iraq by the end of this year as much as one million people may very well of died as a result of this war.
Do you know what 'people' are sven?

Individually they are known as 'persons'.
You might even know some yourself sven. Some you love, some you hate, some you like and some you don't.

So lets do a very rough and ready cost/benefit analysis shall we?
We in Britain were first told we had to invade Iraq because they possessed WMD. and we had to find and destroy them.
Now that bit of the war alone cost a certain quantity of of lives, treasure, and armed might.
Did we find any - of course not.

So the first quantity of lives, treasure and armed might might as well have been poured down the drain for all the good that it did with regards that goal.
Now we are there, we are apparently pouring more troops, materiel and treasure into the project of trying to create a stable democracy in Iraq.

And it surely must by now be self evident to all but the terminally deluded that it is all the time costing us more dearly than ever before and yet we are now getting further and further than ever from that particular goal.

In fact the more we continue on our wasteful path that has now gone beyond the mere profligate the further away the goal becomes.
Apart from anything sven, it has been an almost insanely gloriously stupid and extravagant waste of human life and all for absolutely no discernable good whatsoever.

So in short my dear friend sven:
If you were to appear before the venture capitalists on the Dragons Den T.V. show looking for financial backing for such a venture as the Iraq war, not only would they all give you a blank -THEY'D KICK YOUR F'UCKING ARSE DOWN THE STAIRS AND OUT THE BUILDING FOR GOOD MEASURE FOR INSULTING THEIR INTELLIGENCE!

I do hope I have finally made myself clear on this point and that we might return to thread which is nothing more than a discussion as to what to do now with a bankrupt war and how we might proceed now it is in effect in receivership.
I Have and do dispute Your figures. I have and do dispute Your version of history. I have and do disputed Your assessment of the situation in Iraq.

Of course You wish to ignore a VSO who doesn't agree with Your assessment, You dispute his claims without introducing facts to discount his view - an authoratative view.

In short, You don't debate, You don't argue.

You rant

Because your kind didn't think it all the way through you don't know the half of it sven.
Here is a report of some other enemies we may all have to face and other costs we may very well all have to bear.
This is the big f'uck up decision that keeps giving and giving.
(Influenza epidemic at the end of WW1 took more lives than the war itself.
But you knew that before supporting this war that so obviously was going to run on longer than the f'ucking Mouse Trap didn't you?)

Pandora's Box? You don't even know how to spell her name son.

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/15.02/enemy.html

SLRboy said:
Because your kind didn't think it all the way through you don't know the half of it sven.
Here is a report of some other enemies we may all have to face and other costs we may very well all have to bear.
This is the big f'uck up decision that keeps giving and giving.

Pandora's Box? You don't even know how to spell her name son.

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/15.02/enemy.html
Hmmmmm

In my readings I seem to remember that in the Vietnam War the local strain of malaria was so virulent that the normal medicines didn't always hold it at bay. That 19th century garrisons in the West Indies lost up to a huge percentage of their personnel to the diseases that infested the islands.

It is a soldiers lot that he fights in the conditions of the country he is in - it is sometimes awful but that is the way it is. I am sure that the military equivilent of Colonel Hodgetts are looking for ways to combat this disease

spiffy said:
SLRboy, step into the NAAFI.
I'm going to pass on your offer spiffy and if you want to know why - try and figure out who I'd prefer in my sack- Barbarella or a testosterone charged right wing Rottweiler - and you will have the reason why.

SLRboy said:
Daz,
Here is a link to the site that publishs the site you linked to.

http://www.pipa.org/
yes, thank you, i know where it is, hence finding the report that gives a wider and truer picture in the first place.