Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Mass Shootings in the US

Dunno.

That’s why I gave up.

Maybe something like the Japanese approach combined with an amnesty/buy back. It’s not actually that much more stringent than vehicle licensing, apart from the psych evaluation.

You have to start somewhere I suppose so it might as well be here. A new system would come to be the norm in a generation.

The alternative is that this becomes the longest thread in the history of the internet.
Pfft. It’s not even close. It’s not even in the top five longest threads on the first “what’s new” page of this site.
Any introduction of regulation is going to be gradual, so there will be many more shootings in the mean time. This will not please the Mrs Lovejoy crowd.
I’ve yet to see a workable solution for restricting firearms availability in the US. when you consider that a proportion of firearms used in school shootings are acquired illegally, even these regulations may not be enough to stop shootings.

So how about we look a little beyond the availability of guns and take a look at the culture that leads to it? What do these shooters think that they are achieving with their actions?

Yet the CIA found zero connection between him and ISIS.

Odd that.

The Orlando LGBT nightclub killer described himself as an “Islamic soldier” out to avenge the US war on the Islamic State, according to his phone conversations with police during the 12 June massacre.

Before the shooting, he had been investigated for connections to terrorism by the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) in 2013 and 2014. During that period, he was placed on the Terrorist Screening Database, but subsequently removed.[1] In a call to 9-1-1 during the shooting, Mateen identified himself as "Mujahideen", "Islamic Soldier", and "Soldier of God";[2][3] and pledged his allegiance multiple times to Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, the leader of the militant jihadist group Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant.[4] He said the shooting was "triggered" by an airstrike in Iraq that killed Abu Wahib, an ISIL commander, six weeks before.[

I dont care what links the CIA found - he thought he was a terrorist.

Pfft. It’s not even close. It’s not even in the top five longest threads on the first “what’s new” page of this site.
Any introduction of regulation is going to be gradual, so there will be many more shootings in the mean time. This will not please the Mrs Lovejoy crowd.
I’ve yet to see a workable solution for restricting firearms availability in the US. when you consider that a proportion of firearms used in school shootings are acquired illegally, even these regulations may not be enough to stop shootings.

So how about we look a little beyond the availability of guns and take a look at the culture that leads to it? What do these shooters think that they are achieving with their actions?

Fame and a name that will go down in the history books.

He none - two of the biggerst were Terrorist attacks and I cant be bothered anymore with the others. Who rattled your cage anyway?

Why are you running out of other people to blame for a unique US problem? What happens when you run out of excuses, and the new 'rules' don't work?

“Becomes” not “is”.

Yet the CIA found zero connection between him and ISIS.

Odd that.

The FBI appear to disagree. They had already investigated him twice as a terrorist suspect and have charged his wife with obstruction of justice and 'aiding and abetting the attempted provision of material support to a foreign terrorist organisation'.

It will be a long thread because it's only a matter of time before the next mass shooting in the US. I suspect we will get tired of talking about t way before any kind of resolution is reached if ever.