Mass Shootings in the US

Thing is, we keep hearing about shootings in the USA, but that is a huge country which if there is to be any comparison, should not be matched against a small country like UK, but Somalia or the DRC to get a better perspective. Now that will probably still show the US as an outlier, but the comparison would be much closer.
A couple of small corrections. To the above.
secondly
Remember, America is a young country, many of its citizens have not yet developed to the extent that they can use a knife and fork AT THE SAME TIME.
making the connection between any nutter being able to get a non hunting weapon and their country’s spectacular rate of death by GSW is a big ask for them.
And that’s the normal sane citizens before you get to the slack jawed Cletuses , the like of which no doubt lapped up the poisonous lies spouted by the “ shock jock” Alex Jones.
Still a $49 million damages award by the jury should give pause for thought to the deny it’s happening brigade.
Finaly for clarity on numbers and nomalculture, when killing infants, what numbers are involved when it turns from “ a murder” to “ a tragedy” to
” a spree”.
and are we having a sweepstake on the date of the next “ spree”

A couple of small corrections. To the above.
secondly
Remember, America is a young country, many of its citizens have not yet developed to the extent that they can use a knife and fork AT THE SAME TIME.
making the connection between any nutter being able to get a non hunting weapon and their country’s spectacular rate of death by GSW is a big ask for them.
And that’s the normal sane citizens before you get to the slack jawed Cletuses , the like of which no doubt lapped up the poisonous lies spouted by the “ shock jock” Alex Jones.
Still a $49 million damages award by the jury should give pause for thought to the deny it’s happening brigade.
Finaly for clarity on numbers and nomalculture, when killing infants, what numbers are involved when it turns from “ a murder” to “ a tragedy” to
” a spree”.
and are we having a sweepstake on the date of the next “ spree”
It is pity I can’t you get a soap box to stand on out here. I bet you would be the most well behaved polite dwarf in the county.

Ding Dong. You have intentionally or inadvertently struck the mother lode on the US gun debate.

Both sides (let's call them the liberals and the NRA for simplicity sake) have invested millions of dollars into making this a binary issue over many decades. You are either (a) disarming law abiding citizens so they can be subject to Government abuse and over reach, or (b) you are arming gun extremists to commit wanton slaughter and mayhem across the country.

By making this a binary argument, you don't have to worry about nuanced or intelligent conversations about gun control and ensuring people have a legitimate right to firearms access under the Constitution. All you have to do is shout:

"They're coming fer ma Guns!"

or:

"They're going to kill us all"

..and the conversation is immediately ended. No progress, no end to the problem, both sides happy that they have once again, prevented any discourse on the subject.

Good job in spotting the problem, it's currently escaping about 330 million people on a daily basis.
That seems to be the political trend in the US these days on pretty much every issue. Everything is black and white with no shades of grey.

I see I got a dumb,from cletus( steamboat), still ,chin up , though it must be galling when one of your poster boys turns out to be a big fat lying mess who was prepared to purjure himself in court in front of the mother he slandered.
That about sums up how low the “ gun lobby” sic, has sunk Over there.
come on then big boy, let’s have another “ dumb” you know you want to.!

Last edited:

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I see I got a dumb,from cletus( steamboat), still ,chin up , though it must be galling when one of your poster boys turns out to be a big fat lying mess who was prepared to purger himself in court in front of the mother he slandered.
That about sums up how low the “ gun lobby” sic, has sunk Over there.
come on then big boy, let’s have another “ dumb” you know you want to.!
It's 'perjure'. Hope that helps.

322 Million people in this nation.

Say we have 19K shot a year that is %0.005900621118012422 of the population so you see its doesn't affect the vast majority of Americans, TV news and hysterics aside
That is a very interesting stat.

I appreciate that statistics can be twisted and turned etc but for this call sign that does put things into a certain perspective.

However, a big nod to the post above from @Eyes_Right (Post 16, 360) regarding the debate shouldn’t be binary otherwise it might be that statistically there is nothing too much to worry about as the school children ‘bit’, for example, is just mixed into the small percentage of gun deaths.

Apologies for my remaining on the fence. Still a good, sometimes punchy thread this IMHO.

You could further tweak the number by subtracting the NHI gang shitwittery which contributes a large portion of that figure.

I actually did very little drill, but as a tech I always had better things to do.
The best drill clip I have seen was the Paras raising the flag in Stanley 1982.
Understated as hell for very good reasons.

I was in the IDF, whose standards of parade ground drill could make any SM want to give up and die.
I do however appreciate just how much time and effort must have gone in to that performance.
I just can't help thinking that grown men could be more usefully employed.

Last edited:
Well Cletus didn’t spend enough time with the teaching lady. It must have been difficult looking at the back of the other kids knees in school.

Well, if you want to mention someone making an English grammar mistake, try proof-reading your own input, further up the thread...

"It is pity I can’t you get a soap box to stand on out here."

Eyes_Right

Old-Salt
That is a very interesting stat.

I appreciate that statistics can be twisted and turned etc but for this call sign that does put things into a certain perspective.

However, a big nod to the post above from @Eyes_Right (Post 16, 360) regarding the debate shouldn’t be binary otherwise it might be that statistically there is nothing too much to worry about as the school children ‘bit’, for example, is just mixed into the small percentage of gun deaths.

Apologies for my remaining on the fence. Still a good, sometimes punchy thread this IMHO.

Ah, this is an old favorite, the old “well, statistically, you were very unlucky to have had your 5 year old child slaughtered in a school shooting”. To arrive mentally at a position where you can use statistics to excuse the slaughter, you have to agree there is an acceptable number of deaths. So what’s acceptable?

Is it one death? Probably not if it’s your child.

Is it a million deaths? Don’t be ridiculous, that’s way to high.

So now you are doing mental gymnastics to arrive at an “acceptable” number of deaths. Try saying this is ”Not affecting the vast majority of Americans” when a child’s casket is in your front room, or that of a friend or family.

Where there are firearms, there will be deaths. That’s the entire point of the exercise after all. But that number is currently out of control because nobody is even prepared to discuss it. Hells bells, various previous administrations even made it illegal to spend tax payers money studying gun deaths, that’s how fucked up this all is. If you want a fresh perspective on using statistics to defend the indefensible, try asking a Jewish person how many deaths were statistically acceptable during the holocaust.

Ah, this is an old favorite, the old “well, statistically, you were very unlucky to have had your 5 year old child slaughtered in a school shooting”. To arrive mentally at a position where you can use statistics to excuse the slaughter, you have to agree there is an acceptable number of deaths. So what’s acceptable?

So now you are doing mental gymnastics to arrive at an “acceptable” number of deaths. Try saying this is ”Not affecting the vast majority of Americans” when a child’s casket is in your front room, or that of a friend or family.

Where there are firearms, there will be deaths. That’s the entire point of the exercise after all. But that number is currently out of control because nobody is even prepared to discuss it. Hells bells, various previous administrations even made it illegal to spend tax payers money studying gun deaths, that’s how fucked up this all is. If you want a fresh perspective on using statistics to defend the indefensible, try asking a Jewish person how many deaths were statistically acceptable during the holocaust.
Try reading my third paragraph again, but slowly this time.

You may then realise that I was agreeing with you in the first instance.

At NO POINT did I make any attempt to justify one solitary death.

Joseph Stalin observed that "one death is a tragedy. A million deaths is a statistic."
And he should know.

Eyes_Right

Old-Salt
Try reading my third paragraph again, but slowly this time.

You may then realise that I was agreeing with you in the first instance.

At NO POINT did I make any attempt to justify one solitary death.

Please accept my apologies Sexton. I was linking to your post only to demonstrate the prior arguments you had linked to were where I had the problem, not with your post, which allowed me to offer a rebuttal. Didn't mean to cause any offence, I was in violent agreement with your postion. Sorry, sloppy linkage to the other posts is my excuse.

Please accept my apologies Sexton. I was linking to your post only to demonstrate the prior arguments you had linked to were where I had the problem, not with your post, which allowed me to offer a rebuttal. Didn't mean to cause any offence, I was in violent agreement with your postion. Sorry, sloppy linkage to the other posts is my excuse.
No dramas old chap.

Garminalpha84

Old-Salt
Well Cletus didn’t spend enough time with the teaching lady. It must have been difficult looking at the back of the other kids knees in school.
95ED3EDF-376E-4B02-8560-87095D1FC26F.jpeg

It looks like a few guntubers are getting emotional about being labeled potential terrorists