Mass Shootings in the US

(...)
In addition, a 2018 CRPC study ranked the U.S. at number sixty-four in the world in terms of mass shooting rates per capita.
The actual report makes interesting reading

I've broken my response down into two posts. Here's the first.

Here's his list of the 64 countries with a higher per capita rate of "mass shootings" based on number of incidents. There seems to be a certain commonality between most of them. I'll let you decide what that is.
  1. Northern Mariana Islands
  2. Iraq
  3. Afghanistan
  4. Central African Republic
  5. Solomon Islands
  6. Guyana
  7. Somalia
  8. Nigeria
  9. Burundi
  10. Algeria
  11. West Bank and Gaza Strip
  12. Yemen
  13. Colombia
  14. Angola
  15. South Sudan
  16. Sudan
  17. Sri Lanka
  18. Lebanon
  19. Uganda
  20. Pakistan
  21. Israel
  22. Sierra Leone
  23. Armenia
  24. Syria
  25. Libya
  26. Kenya
  27. Philippines
  28. Niger
  29. Mali
  30. Chad
  31. Democratic Republic of the Congo
  32. Tajikistan
  33. Kosovo
  34. Finland
  35. Honduras
  36. Cameroon
  37. Nepal
  38. Macedonia
  39. Namibia
  40. Azerbaijan
  41. Georgia
  42. Switzerland
  43. Rwanda
  44. Mauritania
  45. Albania
  46. Liberia
  47. Tunisia
  48. Thailand
  49. Peru
  50. Serbia
  51. Ivory Coast (Cote d'Ivoire)
  52. Bosnia
  53. Russia
  54. South Africa
  55. Haiti
  56. Croatia
  57. Norway
  58. Guinea
  59. India
  60. Kyrgyzstan
  61. Belgium
  62. Yugoslavia
  63. Slovakia

The ones that stand out as the exception are the following, with number of incidents and their motivations.
  1. Finland 3 (nutters)
  2. Switzerland 3 (nutters)
  3. Belgium 2 (one nutter, one Islamic terrorism)
  4. Norway 1 (terrorism - Breivik)
  5. Slovakia 1 (nutter)
Norway and Slovakia are each on "the list" due to a single incident. I'm not sure that you can draw any real statistical conclusions based on a single data point.

I don't think that anyone disputes that Belgium has a problem with Islamic terrorism. That aside, that leaves only one nutter, which again is a single data point.

That leaves Finland and Switzerland. Unfortunately citing those is not helpful to the cause of saying that the problem has nothing to do with gun laws, as those two countries have some of the most liberal gun laws in Europe.

(...)
In addition, a 2018 CRPC study ranked the U.S. at number sixty-four in the world in terms of mass shooting rates per capita.
The actual report makes interesting reading

His argument basically comes down to the following chart, although he is very vague about his numbers. This shows the number of "mass shooting incidents" per million people in different geographic regions. This shows that the US isn't so bad when compared to say the Middle East.

What he does is basically define much of the problem away by counting "mass shootings" as including terrorism and nutters, but excluding anything which could be seen as involving drugs or gang related crimes.

I imagine that most ARRSE members could use the same sort of arguments to say they don't have a drinking problem by only counting French wine consumption as "problem drinking" and everything else they consume as "social drinking".

Basically the argument comes down to splitting hairs over what counts as a "mass shooting".

Mass-Public-Shooting-Incidents-by-Geographic-Region-per-million.jpg

He doesn't provide his intermediate data, so I've compiled it here for two regions of interest, Western and Northern Europe.

Here's Western Europe showing number of incidents in each country. The French numbers are bumped up by a number of Islamic terrorism incidents.
Western Europe: Austria (1), Belgium (2), France ( 8 ), Germany (2), Liechtenstein (0), Luxembourg (0), Monaco (0), Netherlands (1), Switzerland (3)
Total incidents = 17
Total population = 198.227 million
Number of incidents = 0.08577195 per million

Here's the same for Northern Europe.
Northern Europe: Channel Islands (0), Denmark (0), Estonia (0), Finland, (3) Iceland (0), Ireland (0), Latvia (0), Lithuania (0), Norway (1), Sweden (0), United Kingdom (1)
Total incidents = 5
Total population = 105.922 million
Number of incidents = 0.04721435 per million

Here's the US figures.
US total incidents = 53
Population = 329.5 million
Number of incidents =0.16084977 per million

Just as an FYI: There are countries where you have to do a reloading course, and receive a licence, before being allowed to buy explosive components such as reloading powder, black powder and primers. It stops people double charging loads, teaches them the reloading process, safety in materials storage, and safe handling of components.
This is not one of them

Eyes_Right

Old-Salt
So it is only criminals that carry out school shootings? This would not appear to be the case unless the media is very ill-informed.

You are quite correct in your assumption that this is utter bollocks.

After every slaughter of innocents, the trick is always to deflect and delay.

Don’t talk about murdering small children, talk about criminal gangs. Don’t talk about murdering small children, talk about mental health. Don’t talk about murdering small children, talk about why teachers aren’t armed. Don’t talk about murdering small children, talk about making schools like fortresses.

Talk about anything, but don’t talk about murdering small children, because then you would have to admit that slightly inconveniencing legitimate gun owners is less acceptable than regularly murdering small children.

The wide spread availability of guns is exactly the problem with this US problem, people here are quoting Dunblane in 1996, 26 years ago and others quoting what, 17 Dunblanes in the USA only 6 months into this year?

You have to be completely ignorant to not put 2+2 together.

Yes they could have ‘done a McVey’ but that can be done in the UK too and it doesn’t happen that often, why is that? Widespread sales of ingredients completely uncontrolled to make bombs?? Another USA thing with their human rights that is irrelevant.

Whilst I personally find it absolutely horrific, I can’t help think some of the deceased parents will be adamant about the right to guns, no, I wouldn’t say you deserve what you get, that is horrific. I can imagine the same people suggesting if their children had the rights to carry (in school) this wouldn’t have happened.

An endless spiral that somehow only seems to happen the most in America.

But keep on being you.

...Think about how bad Manchester Arena would've been if the perpetrator had an RPK and a couple of drums of ammo.

to be fair, you're not going to get that in the USA either without some serious hoop jumping and picking the fly shit out of the pepper. There's more chance of one arriving from the Middle East in Europe in the back of a lorry than Clyde P. Shitkicker getting one.

America eh, all for protecting foetuses and denying women autonomy of their bodies but hell mend you if you question that second amendment and their ability to shoot up multiple kids in schools every other day.

Don’t talk about murdering small children, talk about criminal gangs. Don’t talk about murdering small children, talk about mental health. Don’t talk about murdering small children, talk about why teachers aren’t armed. Don’t talk about murdering small children, talk about making schools like fortresses.

Talk about anything, but don’t talk about murdering small children, because then you would have to admit that slightly inconveniencing legitimate gun owners is less acceptable than regularly murdering small children.

Each word engraved in stone.

A widespread culture of human sacrifice, alive and kicking in a first world country and all for the sake of indulgence and profit.

Last edited:
And we are only just reaching June.

Did they have the statistic for any other countries participating in this particular sport, or is it like those other American-based ones where they have a World Series that virtually none of the rest of the world takes part in?
The Taliban used to blow up schools, and I understand Canada may participate in the world series in a very polite way.

And EVERY time you lot say ban guns like demented parrots.

Lets say we ban all guns today like you lemmings want

There are estimated to be over 300 million guns what makes you think by making a law you collect them all?

Murder is already illegal yet people across the planet commit it every day

instead of drama queening like you're doing ask about Keeping the mentally unsound from gaining access to firearms.

Ask about how come they are never reported and adjudicated mentally unsound even though they have shown dozens of bizarre incidents.

Ask why they aren't added to the FBI NIC's registry of prohibited persons?

Ask why HIPPA privacy laws somehow take precedence over public safety

Every word engraved in stone.

A widespread culture of child sacrifice alive and kicking in a first world country and all for the sake of indulgence and profit.
Says the guys who support abortion? ok to kill the children then eh?

It would be very amusing if the UN offered to intervene in Americas problem!

“We could put troops on the street in blue helmets to try and help you stop killing at a rate that makes the third world jealous!”

You know, remind them of a problem they don’t think they have.

The wide spread availability of guns is exactly the problem with this US problem, people here are quoting Dunblane in 1996, 26 years ago and others quoting what, 17 Dunblanes in the USA only 6 months into this year?

You have to be completely ignorant to not put 2+2 together.

Yes they could have ‘done a McVey’ but that can be done in the UK too and it doesn’t happen that often, why is that? Widespread sales of ingredients completely uncontrolled to make bombs?? Another USA thing with their human rights that is irrelevant.

Whilst I personally find it absolutely horrific, I can’t help think some of the deceased parents will be adamant about the right to guns, no, I wouldn’t say you deserve what you get, that is horrific. I can imagine the same people suggesting if their children had the rights to carry (in school) this wouldn’t have happened.

An endless spiral that somehow only seems to happen the most in America.

But keep on being you.

There hasn't been '17 Dunblanes' in the US so far this year, there has been one incident like that, the one that happened yesterday.

Look at the list Stacker posted earlier and Google some of the incidents to see what this list of 'school shootings' actually consists of.

Has Owen Jones stormed out the studio yet? Until that happens or it effects the alphabet soup molluscs its not really newsworthy.
Only once he has sent his legal team in to deal with collateral that he might, just might possibly have been chummy with, including those that platform him.
Oh and after completely wiping up any DNA spillage that implicates the twat.

I've broken my response down into two posts. Here's the first.

Here's his list of the 64 countries with a higher per capita rate of "mass shootings" based on number of incidents. There seems to be a certain commonality between most of them. I'll let you decide what that is.
  1. Northern Mariana Islands
  2. Iraq
  3. Afghanistan
  4. Central African Republic
  5. Solomon Islands
  6. Guyana
  7. Somalia
  8. Nigeria
  9. Burundi
  10. Algeria
  11. West Bank and Gaza Strip
  12. Yemen
  13. Colombia
  14. Angola
  15. South Sudan
  16. Sudan
  17. Sri Lanka
  18. Lebanon
  19. Uganda
  20. Pakistan
  21. Israel
  22. Sierra Leone
  23. Armenia
  24. Syria
  25. Libya
  26. Kenya
  27. Philippines
  28. Niger
  29. Mali
  30. Chad
  31. Democratic Republic of the Congo
  32. Tajikistan
  33. Kosovo
  34. Finland
  35. Honduras
  36. Cameroon
  37. Nepal
  38. Macedonia
  39. Namibia
  40. Azerbaijan
  41. Georgia
  42. Switzerland
  43. Rwanda
  44. Mauritania
  45. Albania
  46. Liberia
  47. Tunisia
  48. Thailand
  49. Peru
  50. Serbia
  51. Ivory Coast (Cote d'Ivoire)
  52. Bosnia
  53. Russia
  54. South Africa
  55. Haiti
  56. Croatia
  57. Norway
  58. Guinea
  59. India
  60. Kyrgyzstan
  61. Belgium
  62. Yugoslavia
  63. Slovakia

The ones that stand out as the exception are the following, with number of incidents and their motivations.
  1. Finland 3 (nutters)
  2. Switzerland 3 (nutters)
  3. Belgium 2 (one nutter, one Islamic terrorism)
  4. Norway 1 (terrorism - Breivik)
  5. Slovakia 1 (nutter)
Norway and Slovakia are each on "the list" due to a single incident. I'm not sure that you can draw any real statistical conclusions based on a single data point.

I don't think that anyone disputes that Belgium has a problem with Islamic terrorism. That aside, that leaves only one nutter, which again is a single data point.

That leaves Finland and Switzerland. Unfortunately citing those is not helpful to the cause of saying that the problem has nothing to do with gun laws, as those two countries have some of the most liberal gun laws in Europe.

I would have significant doubts about that list. Georgia appears at number 41, but I can't think of there ever being a mass shooting in Georgia, I have just asked a Georgian who can't remember any ever happening either and a quick Google doesn't show any either.

Latest Threads