Mass Shootings in the US

I think there are restrictions on Criminals owning firearms in some (all?) states - however I am unsure of the requirements surrounding mental health checks before purchase / ownership.

This is what most people will be run through.

Unless of course you are like me who submit yourself to a DCI background check every five years and are thus spared the phone call. A check in which many of our fellow forum members would fail.

Nothing quite as amusing as some broken brained gun freak going into meltdown on the inter web. I particularly like references to ‘cold dead hands’, almost as funny as all the jocks painting themselves blue and shouting ‘freedum’
Ahh praise from Caesar, coming from the poster who claimed Wayne la Pierre was a draft dodger and attended SUNY and I showed you your source was totally wrong. It amuses me no end how your facts aren't facts

Mickey West

Old-Salt
That was funny until the end bit. Then it was heartbreaking.
Funny though how we don’t get school shootings in the UK. Or indeed Australia. Or New Zealand. I put it down to the fact that we arm our teachers in the UK and have armed security guards.

Oh, wait:

52C6076C-C636-446A-8172-DF8855878D7F.png

Mickey West

Old-Salt
Ahh praise from Caesar, coming from the poster who claimed Wayne la Pierre was a draft dodger and attended SUNY and I showed you your source was totally wrong. It amuses me no end how your facts aren't facts
Nope - showed nothing of the sort. Maybe in your head you think you are right but Wayne’s a war dodging Cnut.

Edited to add.

Even your media think he’s a nut job:

7135E661-2D03-4BA8-862B-7F4847D335EC.jpeg

Funny though how we don’t get school shootings in the UK. Or indeed Australia. Or New Zealand. I put it down to the fact that we arm our teachers in the UK and have armed security guards.

Oh, wait:

View attachment 621152
Apart from the UK banning semi automatic rifles post Hungerford and Dunblane still happening. The UK banning semi-automatic pistols after Dunblane and the Cumbria shootings still happening.

Not to mention various knife, bomb and vehicle attacks.

Granted most subsequent massacres would have been much worse if capable firearms were readily available, but it isn’t true to say that gun control measures are so effective as to stop it entirely.

Mickey West

Old-Salt
Apart from the UK banning semi automatic rifles post Hungerford and Dunblane still happening. The UK banning semi-automatic pistols after Dunblane and the Cumbria shootings still happening.

Not to mention various knife, bomb and vehicle attacks.

Granted most subsequent massacres would have been much worse if capable firearms were readily available, but it isn’t true to say that gun control measures are so effective as to stop it entirely.
Dunblane massacre was with a handgun. Any other prize winning points you’d like to make Einstein?

Dunblane massacre was with a handgun. Any other prize winning points you’d like to make Einstein?
I know that. You’re missing the point. Your graphic claims that there haven’t been any massacres since Dunblane, I was pointing out that Dunblane itself happened after a point of gun control restriction, which is quite similar to that enacted by NewZealand, and that there have been massacres since then.

If the graphic had noted that a banned firearm hadn’t been used in a mass killing after being banned, I wouldn’t have taken issue, but it was vague and as such not very useful.

Oh, wait:

View attachment 621152
Just to point out, the support for stricter gun laws is fairly low. It will continue to crater as long as the woke crime wave continues.

Your argument will be ignored as it only sounds like the ranting of an authoritarian, who is out of touch.

Nope - showed nothing of the sort. Maybe in your head you think you are right but Wayne’s a war dodging Cnut.

Edited to add.

Even your media think he’s a nut job:

View attachment 621154
And yet you thick berk, your source is wrong*. There is also no requirement for the POTUS to have served, so why do you think la Pierre had to serve to be head of a lobbying / Constitutional rights group ?

''Although we were unable to ascertain precisely when or where this claim first appeared, it dates back at least as far as 2006, when the following entry was added to an informal online database called “Who Served in the Military?”:''

Wayne LaPierre, CEO of the National Rifle Association — did not serve (apparently pulled lottery #97 in 1969 as a campus radical at SUNY-Albany, but weaseled out by getting a family doctor to claim he had a nervous disorder).
No sources were cited to corroborate this entry.

According to the registrar’s office of the State University of New York in Albany, Wayne LaPierre never attended the school. On the contrary, after graduating from Patrick Henry High School in Roanoke, Virginia in 1967, LaPierre entered Siena College in Loudonville, New York, from which (according to a statement from the college) he graduated in 1972. He went on to earn a postgraduate degree at Boston College.

We were able to obtain Wayne LaPierre’s Selective Service record from the National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis, however. It shows that he registered for the draft on 13 November 1967, a few days after his 18th birthday, listing his occupation as “student.” Under the rules then in force, a registrant could qualify for a student deferment “if he could show he was a full-time student making satisfactory progress in virtually any field of study,” the Selective Service web site says.

LaPierre’s Selective Service classification record shows that he was classified 2-S (registrant deferred because of activity in study) in January 1968. His student deferment was renewed every year through 1970.

Although the student deferment should have kept him immune from the draft until he graduated in 1972, the record states that LaPierre reported for an armed services physical exam in August 1971 (while still at Siena College), and shortly thereafter was reclassified 1-Y (registrant qualified for service only in time of war or national emergency).

During the Vietnam War period, receiving a 1-Y classification was essentially the same as being classified 4-F (registrant not qualified for military service). The 1-Y deferment was eliminated at the end of 1971, at which time all registrants who had previously received it, LaPierre among them, were administratively reclassified 4-F.

Like that of Donald Trump, who also received a 1-Y draft deferment, LaPierre’s classification record includes the notation “yxx,” meaning he was found unqualified for military service based on medical reasons. However, it does not state the exact nature of the disqualifying condition(s).

We can confirm, then, that in NRA executive president Wayne LaPierre received a medical deferment from the draft in 1971, but to date no evidence has come to light proving it was because of a “nervous disorder” (feigned or real), or any other psychological condition.

So no one in the UK has since been killed by a handgun? afterall they were banned.

Could you be a dear and ask Lee Rigby what his killers had besides Knives? didnt one try to shoot a police officer?

Oh, wait:

View attachment 621152

That's just a couple from the last month or so. Allow me to suggest that you concern yourselves with your own shooting and knifing murder rates and we'll do the same.

That's just a couple from the last month or so. Allow me to suggest that you concern yourselves with your own shooting and knifing murder rates and we'll do the same.
Why can't people be concerned about two countries?

Especially when the overall homicide rates are about 4 x worse (per 100,00) in the US than in the UK.

Last edited:

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer

Seriously, you really want to compare US and UK murder rates?

Murders with firearms 14
Ranked 39th.
Ranked 4th. 669 times more than United Kingdom
Murders with firearms per million 0.236
Ranked 44th.
Ranked 10th. 138 times more than United Kingdom

Why can't people be concerned about two countries?

Especially when the overall homicide rates are about 4 x worse (per 100,00) in the US than in the UK.
There is nothing wrong with that, lecturing us to change our laws to suit your citizens views is not going to happen and you should understand that.

Also under standing that we are 5.5 times larger @ 333 Million + than your nations population @ 66 Million means we have larger amounts of crimes

Is it concern or a self righteous zeal? It is hard to tell at times depending on the poster. You have a foot in both doors and an understanding of our quirks.
Only a mild understanding - and less so of mid-America. Some people are admittedly over-zealous, however I think the thing that gets me is the apparent lack of concern / action every time something happens. There appears to be little desire to attempt to solve the problem; it's just accepted like night turning to day.

That may sound a little hyperbolic, (not intended in that manner) - but I'm sure that if a school shooting happened at your kids' school then you would want it looking into / measures being put in place to prevent it happening again - so why not roll something out nationally to try and prevent it before the fact? The whole 'just accept it' doesn't really sit comfortably with me when it happens so frequently. I don't want it to be particularly more difficult for 'normal' Americans to get guns - but I do think that there should be a cross-party review of firearms ownership.

Latest Threads