Mass Shootings in the US

Talking (or writing) about mayoral elections, how about this:

Fake opponent defeats mayor

Russian Nikolai Loktev, mayor of Povalikhino, 300 miles east of Moscow, panicked when he realised he was running for re‑election unopposed.

It was important as a democratic show to find a candidate to oppose him and duly be defeated. He had already asked a number of local residents to take part. They included his assistant at city hall and a member of the Communist Party who had run and lost in elections in 2011. However, both declined.

Eventually he persuaded Marina Udgodskaya, the cleaner at city hall. to stand against him. But then she won!

At first worried by what would happen, she is now settling into the job. As a first order of business—after finding her replacement as cleaner, that is—she plans to bring streetlights to the village.

MsG
Wasn't communism wonderful? Electric lighting finally in 2021 such days we live in Comrade

endure

GCM
Solid pass on all the above. Besides good luck trying to find a washer or dryer that doesn’t cost an arm and a leg these days!
I wasn't suggesting that you try it. It's just an example of what our fine upstanding (fnar) politicians get up to and why we don't take them too seriously - unless it's their round for the coke obvs...

At least they'd still know how to make a proper cup of tea though...

About the only good thing to happen in the States is the ability to get a reasonable (at least) cuppa in hotels at breakfast. Prior to around 2000, one went without tea in the States and Canada for weeks on end. At least that is what can be described as passable tea.

I remember a 5 week trip there in 1984, and the first cup of tea was on the BA flight out of JFK to LHR. And on the Boeing 747 that got blown up in Iraq about 6 years later at that.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
.Anyway, now that this thread is well and truly hijacked:
Child rapist, you say?

"Paging Kyle Rittenhouse. Will Mr Rittenhouse please report to the Armoury..." ;)
signal-2021-11-25-11-20-15-468.jpg

Nemesis44UK

LE
Book Reviewer
To be honest, I can't believe people are up in arms about Mr Rittenhouse. It seems very much to me like self-defence. Two hardened cons and a dirtbag take on what they think is easy meat, get a nasty surprise.

Brilliant.

I'm disgusted at all the handwringers falling over themselves, incorrectly identifying the race of the aggressors in a stultifying bid to make facts conform to their assumptions, shown to be incorrect, yet STILL try to mould their villains into heroes.

It starts with Biden, runs all the way through the celebrity jerkoffs who leap from delusion to delusion, right down to some real sillybillys on ARRSE.

To be honest, I can't believe people are up in arms about Mr Rittenhouse. It seems very much to me like self-defence. Two hardened cons and a dirtbag take on what they think is easy meat, get a nasty surprise.

Brilliant.

I'm disgusted at all the handwringers falling over themselves, incorrectly identifying the race of the aggressors in a stultifying bid to make facts conform to their assumptions, shown to be incorrect, yet STILL try to mould their villains into heroes.

It starts with Biden, runs all the way through the celebrity jerkoffs who leap from delusion to delusion, right down to some real sillybillys on ARRSE.
They turned a drunk driver/violent criminal into a saint, what did you expect?
This crap is not going away.

I think the legaleagle video on youtube covers it quite well:
A key point for me is that had Grosskreutz shot Rittenhouse, then he could have equally have claimed self-defence, though I think a prosecutor would have had an easier time disproving it.

One thing that crops up fairly regularly is people who get killed get their history dragged up to justify it. “he was a criminal so deserved to get shot” sort of thing. Trouble is Rittenhouse didn’t know that. He shot a person based on how that person was acting towards him, which is the only pertinent thing.

A key point for me is that had Grosskreutz shot Rittenhouse, then he could have equally have claimed self-defence, though I think a prosecutor would have had an easier time disproving it.

One thing that crops up fairly regularly is people who get killed get their history dragged up to justify it. “he was a criminal so deserved to get shot” sort of thing. Trouble is Rittenhouse didn’t know that. He shot a person based on how that person was acting towards him, which is the only pertinent thing.
Mate of mine got charged with murder.
He worked door security, an threw some tosspot out of a club, only for said tosspot to come back with a scaffolding pole and attack him.
mate pulled a pistol, and hot him dead.
He was aquitted.
HOWEVER, the whole 'Never hurt a fly, no history of violence' for the victim was hastily disproved, and my mate's 'gun obsession' and military history was dragged out.
Umm yes, he was a national serviceman who did rather well there, determined to actually gain something from the 2 years he had to serve, and worked at a gun shop.
Doesn't make for good headlines though, does it?
'Gun-Nut bouncer shoots partygoer' sells more papers.

Nemesis44UK

LE
Book Reviewer

It probably wouldn't have mattered, bearing in mind Rittenhouse would be dead.

As for people who get their history dragged up, it absolutely is pertinent, although as you say, Rittenhouse couldn't have known that at the time.

A woman cries rape.
The man protests his innocence.

Is one thing, but:

A woman cries rape
Woman has convictions for false allegations in the past.

Totally changes the perception.

HOWEVER, the whole 'Never hurt a fly, no history of violence' for the victim was hastily disproved, and my mate's 'gun obsession' and military history was dragged out.
As for people who get their history dragged up, it absolutely is pertinent, although as you say, Rittenhouse couldn't have known that at the time.

A woman cries rape.

Is one thing, but:

A woman cries rape
Woman has convictions for false allegations in the past.

Totally changes the perception.
I can see it being pertinent when you are judgling the veracity of statements by the different parties.
Not so much when it’s the history of a dead man and the crimes don’t really have any bearing on he situation.
History of violence could suggest that he was the sort likely to attack.
History of financial fraud doesn’t really matter.

DaManBugs

LE
Book Reviewer
Mate of mine got charged with murder.
He worked door security, an threw some tosspot out of a club, only for said tosspot to come back with a scaffolding pole and attack him.
mate pulled a pistol, and hot him dead.
He was aquitted.
Umm yes, he was a national serviceman who did rather well there, determined to actually gain something from the 2 years he had to serve, and worked at a gun shop.
Doesn't make for good headlines though, does it?
'Gun-Nut bouncer shoots partygoer' sells more papers.
You're absolutely right there! The usual rags always look for the "sensational" headlines. And they're easily produced; viz:

BRITISH MP LIVES WITH FOUR WOMEN AND ONE OF THEM IS MARRIED!

Then you read the article and discover that three of the "women" are his grown-up daughters and the "married one" is actually his wife of 35 years. The "facts" are basically true, but oh so distorted.

MsG

Latest Threads