Mass Shootings in the US

I don't imagine that the sort of police constable who gets assigned to guarding schools is exactly the cream of the crop.

Some are, some are not. What I have found though is that the uniformed city police department cops do not do any actual investigation. In the UK even as a beat cop most of the crimes I was tasked to I investigated, with the minimum being a crime report, couple of statements and the Sgt telling me no further action. The deeper more complicated crimes would get sent off to CID by the Sgt/Insp and I would lose sight of them unless a DC decided he wanted me along for the ride as I had picked it up. I would deal with thefts, burglaries, and initial traffic accident evidential gathering and reporting.

What I have found here is that uniform cops mostly tend to cruise around issuing tickets for vehicle related offences. If a crime is reported they will attend and take some details, give you a crime number and bugger off. They immediately pass the crime report to the detectives department where it is evaluated for possible further investigation, uniform plays no direct role in investigation. The detectives investigate everything from petty crime, to serious crime, and traffic accidents, they don't even trust their uniforms with a traffic accident. Uniforms here are effectively no better than armed PCSO's with police powers.

I don't imagine that the sort of police constable who gets assigned to guarding schools is exactly the cream of the crop.

Then you would be wrong. Most of the Officers assigned to schools are DARE Officers (Drug Abuse Resistance Education), they aren't given the post because they're nearing retirement or because they are a biffs.

I think you mean (Drugs Are Really Exciting)...

Only to the mugs that are hooked on them kid. To everyone else they're a nightmare that we hope never affects the people we care about.

Only to the mugs that are hooked on them kid. To everyone else they're a nightmare that we hope never affects the people we care about.
Try every 7th and 8th grader in the country who has to sit through the classes.

Then to make it even better in high school the Campus Cop also had another title... Coach White who happened to ensure the team was on the straight and narrow.

Then you would be wrong. Most of the Officers assigned to schools are DARE Officers (Drug Abuse Resistance Education), they aren't given the post because they're nearing retirement or because they are a biffs.

We had one at the junior high who did all the youth stuff, DARE, etc, he was a bible thumping religious nutter who tried to become a minister some years ago ...... and failed. He was taken off patrol and moved into the junior high because he assaulted a customer during a traffic stop. I communicated with him a few times and decided he was a total throbber, a fact borne out by a couple of his colleagues with their comments about him. After a three year punishment posting stint at the junior high he was effectively told that he was there for the next 6 years till he retired as they could not trust him on the street - he has moved to another PD. To be fair the whole PD was a problem a few years ago and the FBI came in, investigated and people moved on including the old chief, this muppet was just a hangover from those days and I think the new chief wanted rid.

We had one at the junior high who did all the youth stuff, DARE, etc, he was a bible thumping religious nutter who tried to become a minister some years ago ...... and failed. He was taken off patrol and moved into the junior high because he assaulted a customer during a traffic stop. I communicated with him a few times and decided he was a total throbber, a fact borne out by a couple of his colleagues with their comments about him. After a three year punishment posting stint at the junior high he was effectively told that he was there for the next 6 years till he retired as they could not trust him on the street - he has moved to another PD. To be fair the whole PD was a problem a few years ago and the FBI came in, investigated and people moved on including the old chief, this muppet was just a hangover from those days and I think the new chief wanted rid.

No doubt there are one or two throbbers mate but the ones I've known during my time were all good cops who took the post seriously. My BiL did it for a year sometime back and he reckoned it was a pretty demanding job.

Nine shot dead in San Jose CA and virtually no comment on this site, nor indeed in the mainstream news services.

Are we becoming desensitised ?

Seems the shooter 'went postal' or in this case, 'transit'. Samuel James Cassidy doesn't sound like the sort of name our usual excusers will be able to deal with.

'... the alleged gunman who killed nine people at the Valley Transportation railyard in San Jose on Wednesday morning, had two semiautomatic pistols and 11 magazines of handgun ammunition. When authorities confronted Cassidy after the shooting, he killed himself, she said. Smith said “the guns were found in the area where he took his life.” She said the weapons “appear to be the type that would be legal in California,” though authorities said they were working to determine whether any modifications had been made. The sheriff added that detectives are reviewing Cassidy’s emails and texts to try to determine a motive, and that so far, Cassidy had left “no written documents found that I’m aware of.”

bentobox

Old-Salt
Seems the shooter 'went postal' or in this case, 'transit'. Samuel James Cassidy doesn't sound like the sort of name our usual excusers will be able to deal with.

'... the alleged gunman who killed nine people at the Valley Transportation railyard in San Jose on Wednesday morning, had two semiautomatic pistols and 11 magazines of handgun ammunition. When authorities confronted Cassidy after the shooting, he killed himself, she said. Smith said “the guns were found in the area where he took his life.” She said the weapons “appear to be the type that would be legal in California,” though authorities said they were working to determine whether any modifications had been made. The sheriff added that detectives are reviewing Cassidy’s emails and texts to try to determine a motive, and that so far, Cassidy had left “no written documents found that I’m aware of.”

Appears the shooter may also have set his house on fire prior to the shootings, interesting way to conceal/destroy any evidence?

The shooter might have been driven demented by some of those bends on the track in the pictures

1622138992578.png

A bit of googling turned up the following photo in a news story. He's what I imagine some of the angrier ARRSE members from the US look like.

What we know about the VTA light rail gunman Sam Cassidy
Screen-Shot-2021-05-26-at-1.24.03-PM.jpg

Latest Threads