Mass Shootings in the US

I do understand those that need firearms, like yourself, living in the big outdoors, something we do not have on this small island, but why does a chap living in town, or a big city, like new York, or Chicago need to have a concealed pistol when going to the grocery store?

In the ten years I have lived here I have personally seen scant need for a carry gun. When I first arrived it was a novelty so I did the course, and received a carry permit. However, with both my squaddies head, and plod head firmly on my shoulders I know that a firearm can be a trouble magnet. So best to not carry one, and just be aware of my surroundings and environment like I used to in the UK, avoiding unwanted trouble and interactions.

All I do with my firearms is load them up in the car, take them to the range, have a shoot, then go home. I have a loaded Glock conveniently hidden in the bedroom, but that is it. I have met plenty of people here who have a pistol in their car, seems to be a thing with Texans, and I notice one, or two a month with a pistol hidden under a shirt. The one that gets me are the dildo brained motorcyclists who openly carry a pistol whilst riding their bike, and wandering around wearing their biker gear.

From the NRA generated propaganda you would think that the country was in a condition of near WW3. The reality is that there are less people owning guns now than previously. There has been a hiccup with Covid as many wanted to prepare for the zombie apocalypse so many previous non-gunowners went out and bought themselves something. When push comes to shove many of those individuals will sell off their purchase to pay an electric bill, or for a holiday, and gun ownership will continue back on its decline.

why does a chap living in town, or a big city, like new York, or Chicago need to have a concealed pistol when going to the grocery store?
Because of all the other chaps in the grocery store who may or may not have concealed weapons and poor impulse control.

Well in places like New York city you can't carry a concealed weapon.
Most of the time when I carry concealed it is only on a weekend and that is either when I have the entire family with me, or have to go to some parts of town that have some shady folks who like to hang around. Like transients who have some mental health issues and in some cases like to carry big knifes with them in public. Which around here is a bit of a taboo. Most people or places one does not have to worry about, but it only takes one person to ruin your day. You never know when you might have a felon trying to hide out in say the McDonald's play place or run into a meth lab in Medicine Bow National Forest. Granted in that case nobody bothers to conceal a thing.

;) Depends who you know. I know a retired editor of the NY Times who is quite a warry b'stard and has a permit, having done a top of the line course a few times. His wife is also a very, very, senior city employee.....which helped.

There's a thought......some idiot with a rifle walking past a Primary School, exercising his legal right to "Open Carry".......
Not quite...

Open carry of a rifle in the "big city" I live in tends to only happen if somebody is attending a 2nd Amendment rally in a designated area. Carrying an AR near a school will get you on the proverbial poo list rather quickly. The vast majority of people with a CCW permit don't pull these stunts and that is the same for those that don't posses a permit.

In order to go to the range any long gun has to be cased or slung over your shoulder. Handguns have to be cased or holstered. We still have rules and is not the Wild West or Chicago.

;) Depends who you know. I know a retired editor of the NY Times who is quite a warry b'stard and has a permit, having done a top of the line course a few times. His wife is also a very, very, senior city employee.....which helped.
Well I was referring to the peasants such as ourselves and not the well connected.

Well I was referring to the peasants such as ourselves and not the well connected.

Its like the UK. There are individuals who are holders of firearm certificates allowing them to own and carry a pistol for defensive purposes.

There's a thought......some idiot with a rifle walking past a Primary School, exercising his legal right to "Open Carry".......

I know what you mean. However, an offence is committed if carrying a firearm within 1000ft of the grounds of a school - the grounds, not the building.

There are those walking, breathing, congenital idiots who exercise their right to wander around with an AR slung over their shoulder, and a pistol on their hip. They rapidly attract police attention though, even though they are allowed by law to do what they are doing.

Mölders 1

War Hero
I know what you mean. However, an offence is committed if carrying a firearm within 1000ft of the grounds of a school - the grounds, not the building.

There are those walking, breathing, congenital idiots who exercise their right to wander around with an AR slung over their shoulder, and a pistol on their hip. They rapidly attract police attention though, even though they are allowed by law to do what they are doing.

Understood although it didn't stop those shootings at Colombine, Sandy Hook etc.....

Understood although it didn't stop those shootings at Colombine, Sandy Hook etc.....

I would put that down to the individual having a purpose, and moving with purpose towards the schools, rather than generally milling around in the vicinity of a school.

We have an armed police officer at every school in Texas, I used to chat with the one when my lad was in middle school. He had all the toys; AR, shotgun, pistol, flashbangs and a panic button to get assistance rapidly if needed. During the day they will wander around the school and school grounds, and at the start and end of the school day they stand outside the school keeping an eye out.

Atthe local high school here the bloke stands at the entrance to the car park giving everyone the eye as they drive in. Down at the local infant school the bloke there wanders up and down the pavement near the pedestrian crossing..........personally I think he is chatting up the milfs as they drop off their little darlings.

Note to add: I have actually come up with a nifty widget for the police to use during school situations and must get around to building it sometime to see if it will make me a $million.

Mölders 1

War Hero
I would put that down to the individual having a purpose, and moving with purpose towards the schools, rather than generally milling around in the vicinity of a school.

We have an armed police officer at every school in Texas, I used to chat with the one when my lad was in middle school. He had all the toys; AR, shotgun, pistol, flashbangs and a panic button to get assistance rapidly if needed. During the day they will wander around the school and school grounds, and at the start and end of the school day they stand outside the school keeping an eye out.

Atthe local high school here the bloke stands at the entrance to the car park giving everyone the eye as they drive in. Down at the local infant school the bloke there wanders up and down the pavement near the pedestrian crossing..........personally I think he is chatting up the milfs as they drop off their little darlings.

I see but then said Armed Police Officer could easily shoot up the School himself......

I see but then said Armed Police Officer could easily shoot up the School himself......

Thats always a danger. Who polices the police, especially here.

Still less dangerous than giving teachers Tasers. As soon as one of the little shits gets mouthy the place would look like an epilepsy convention in a disco.

The sad thing is that in Texas, from my experience and speaking to others, if there is a barney at school, or a disciplinary issue that may be a tad serious, but ordinarily dealt with in school here they just tend to get the school cop in. Sadly that can result in kids having a criminal record for something which might in the world outside Texas just result in calling parents in, exchanging words, and a suspension.

I was on the receiving end of a cops attention when my lad was accused of something that they investigated with no eventual outcome. As someone who was a copper in the UK, I found the whole experience heavy handed, ill informed and lacking in credibility from the outset. It did not help that the copper, like many here, was as dim as the day is long. We requested a copy of the final report from the county attorneys office (yes they pass all juvenile investigation there) and saw photocopies of the officers, and his supervisors written reports. To be honest, the handwriting and use of language on both their reports looked like that of a 10 year old, which reinforced my low opinion of the intelligence of police officers here. Luckily, if a child is involved in something most reports are sealed when they become 18 and require a court order to be opened. However, some federal agencies have unfettered access for various reasons, including employment vetting, and for the investigation of some crimes.

One day when the lad was in middle school (under 14) he came home at the end of the day and told me that the cop had used his CS spray on a group of kids. Apparently a couple of the kids were getting into it being wound up by the other kids. The cop comes rolling in and tells them to break it up. Didn't happen quickly enough so he sprayed everyone with CS.

Last edited:
Still less dangerous than giving teachers Tasers. As soon as one of the little shits gets mouthy the place would look like an epilepsy convention in a disco.
I just had to put down my cuppa before I spilled the contents over the keyboard.
Have a double funny.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Well, in Texarrse, on Monday, the State Legislature (state parliament) passed a bill to allow Texans to carry concealed handguns without a permit, or training.
Before this there was a significant group who carried concealed handguns, (and more,) without a permit or training, but they had a desire to enrich themselves without the necessity of any of that tedious "work" stuff.

The problem is that listening to the backward attitudes of some of the idiots here you would think that Hannibal Hayes, and Kid Curry were still the most wanted outlaws in the west.

The sad thing is that in Texas, from my experience and speaking to others, if there is a barney at school, or a disciplinary issue that may be a tad serious, but ordinarily dealt with in school here they just tend to get the school cop in. Sadly that can result in kids having a criminal record for something which might in the world outside Texas just result in calling parents in, exchanging words, and a suspension.

I was on the receiving end of a cops attention when my lad was accused of something that they investigated with no eventual outcome. As someone who was a copper in the UK, I found the whole experience heavy handed, ill informed and lacking in credibility from the outset. It did not help that the copper, like many here, was as dim as the day is long. We requested a copy of the final report from the county attorneys office (yes they pass all juvenile investigation there) and saw photocopies of the officers, and his supervisors written reports. To be honest, the handwriting and use of language on both their reports looked like that of a 10 year old, which reinforced my low opinion of the intelligence of police officers here. Luckily, if a child is involved in something most reports are sealed when they become 18 and require a court order to be opened. However, some federal agencies have unfettered access for various reasons, including employment vetting, and for the investigation of some crimes.

One day when the lad was in middle school (under 14) he came home at the end of the day and told me that the cop had used his CS spray on a group of kids. Apparently a couple of the kids were getting into it being wound up by the other kids. The cop comes rolling in and tells them to break it up. Didn't happen quickly enough so he sprayed everyone with CS.
I don't imagine that the sort of police constable who gets assigned to guarding schools is exactly the cream of the crop.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
I don't imagine that the sort of police constable who gets assigned to guarding schools is exactly the cream of the crop.

Some are, some are not. What I have found though is that the uniformed city police department cops do not do any actual investigation. In the UK even as a beat cop most of the crimes I was tasked to I investigated, with the minimum being a crime report, couple of statements and the Sgt telling me no further action. The deeper more complicated crimes would get sent off to CID by the Sgt/Insp and I would lose sight of them unless a DC decided he wanted me along for the ride as I had picked it up. I would deal with thefts, burglaries, and initial traffic accident evidential gathering and reporting.

What I have found here is that uniform cops mostly tend to cruise around issuing tickets for vehicle related offences. If a crime is reported they will attend and take some details, give you a crime number and bugger off. They immediately pass the crime report to the detectives department where it is evaluated for possible further investigation, uniform plays no direct role in investigation. The detectives investigate everything from petty crime, to serious crime, and traffic accidents, they don't even trust their uniforms with a traffic accident. Uniforms here are effectively no better than armed PCSO's with police powers.

Latest Threads