Mass Shootings in the US

Which British soldiers would they be?

If you don't know, your use of that quote illustrates an amazing ignorance.

'Casualties at the Battle of Lexington and Concord: The British Regiments suffered 19 officers and 250 soldiers killed and wounded.'

I was merely asking you a question, but you seemed a bit annoyed when you brought up the British lives lost in the War of Independence.

Well, it was a mass shooting, albeit in rather different circumstances, against a legitimate 'armed and regulated militia'.

Well, it was a mass shooting, albeit in rather different circumstances, against a legitimate 'armed and regulated militia'.
I do believe the British government at the time had lost that sense of legitimacy when the Rebels decided to kick it off. I would hazard to guess they seemed to view the British Army as an occupying power.

I do believe the British government at the time had lost that sense of legitimacy when the Rebels decided to kick it off. I would hazard to guess they seemed to view the British Army as an occupying power.

Hmmm, 'legitimate', 'rebels' and 'occupying': I suspect a significant proportion of the population of the 13 colonies would attach those words to rather different factions. But if you want to use the histrionics of 18th C statutes to legitimise 21st C murders, crack on.

Casualties at the Battle of Lexington and Concord: The British Regiments suffered 19 officers and 250 soldiers killed and wounded.'

Seriously! That is your reply? I served in the British Army for 12 years with six tours of Northern Ireland under my belt so don't you lecture me about respecting the dead.

If this is all you have prick then you really do have nothing to say of any significance. To use the number of British Soldiers killed during that war in answer to my post at 11,877 is weak at best if that is all you have.

I probably know more about this countries history than you will ever know because in the past I have studied it and still continue to do so to this day.

I'm guessing me pointing out the number of murders in one British city during the years 2019 and 2020 didn't sit well with you hence the jump to colonial war and your dig at me.

Last edited:
Hmmm, 'legitimate', 'rebels' and 'occupying': I suspect a significant proportion of the population of the 13 colonies would attach those words to rather different factions. But if you want to use the histrionics of 18th C statutes to legitimise 21st C murders, crack on.

Hey you're the one that brought it up!

Seriously! That is your reply? I served in the British Army for 12 years with six tours of Northern Ireland under my belt so don't you lecture me about respecting the dead.

If this is all you have old son then you really do have nothing to say of any significance. To use the number of British Soldiers killed during that war in answer to my post at 11,877 is weak at best if that is all you have.

I probably know more about this countries history than you will ever know because in the past I have studied it and still continue to do so to this day.

I'm guessing me pointing out the number of murders in one British city during the years 2019 and 2020 didn't sit well with you hence the jump to colonial war and your did at me.

'Old son', you arrogant prick; you're the one quoting US 'patriotic' poetry in your signature block. Are you currently serving in HM Forces, as I am: if not you can double away at the high port before you try to play that card.

Last edited:
Well, what do you expect if we can't get a decent cup of tea ?

Apparently the colonists liked a cup of tea as well as anyone, they just didn't like being taxed twice over it.

Oh indeed 1/3 of the population were loyalists and another 1/3 could care less who won.

One man's hero is another mans villain.

You seem to be firmly in the confiscate and ban camp, which is an opinion you are allowed to have. But not everybody agrees with that stance and are willing to sacrifice their rights to appease those with opposing views. Kinda silly to think it, but if you ban firearms the criminal masses will still acquire them and the law abiding will suffer.

Oh indeed 1/3 of the population were loyalists and another 1/3 could care less who won.

One man's hero is another mans villain.

You seem to be firmly in the confiscate and ban camp, which is an opinion you are allowed to have. But not everybody agrees with that stance and are willing to sacrifice their rights to appease those with opposing views. Kinda silly to think it, but if you ban firearms the criminal masses will still acquire them and the law abiding will suffer.

Banning and regulation are two quite different things. I agree completely that the criminal elements will always find a way around regulation, but much of the gun violence in the USA seems to be simply because of access, combined with arrogance, fear or emotional meltdown rather than original criminal intent.

'Old son', you arrogant prick; you're the one quoting US 'patriotic' poetry.

I didn't quote anything of the kind. I have it in my sig block and what I put in there is up to me. Especially if it pi$$es off people like you.

With regards to the "old son", It's just another British way of saying mate, sorry if it caused offence, I shall edit that post forthwith just for you.

Banning and regulation are two quite different things. I agree completely that the criminal elements will always find a way around regulation, but much of the gun violence in the USA seems to be simply because of access, combined with arrogance, fear or emotional meltdown rather than original criminal intent.
Most crimes are committed with a handgun. The big mass shootings seem to be committed by people with mental health issues. But the mental health services in this country have been degraded heavily. You can't call a crazy a crazy anymore, it ain't pc.

But the only way to prevent mass shootings is to ban damn near any firearm short of a musket. I can do the same amount of harm with a Ruger 10-22 or a Remington 870 as a fancy high end AR. Gun free areas are the target of choice because predators want an easy time when they decide to strike. So the only thing a ban is going to do is remove the ability of the law abiding to defend themselves against the people who intend to commit harm for whatever reason. That is not a trade off millions of are willing to make.

Most crimes are committed with a handgun. The big mass shootings seem to be committed by people with mental health issues. But the mental health services in this country have been degraded heavily. You can't call a crazy a crazy anymore, it ain't pc.

But the only way to prevent mass shootings is to ban damn near any firearm short of a musket. I can do the same amount of harm with a Ruger 10-22 or a Remington 870 as a fancy high end AR. Gun free areas are the target of choice because predators want an easy time when they decide to strike. So the only thing a ban is going to do is remove the ability of the law abiding to defend themselves against the people who intend to commit harm for whatever reason. That is not a trade off millions of are willing to make.

An interesting comparison, that since the restrictive firearms regulations enacted in Australia in the aftermath of the Port Arthur massacre in 1996, the total number of mass shootouts (3 or more fatalities) in the last 25 years, by terrorists or others, stands at 10, including gangland hits.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
An interesting comparison, that since the restrictive firearms regulations enacted in Australia in the aftermath of the Port Arthur massacre in 1996, the total number of mass shootouts (3 or more fatalities) in the last 25 years, by terrorists or others, stands at 10, including gangland hits.
Yes but the Australians aren't idiotic enough to say God says it's ok to have a gun.

Latest Threads