Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mass Shootings in the US

You need to chill Jonsey, it is actually possible for you to be wrong about things.
Now you know full well that the Americans are never wrong, always right, first, won both world wars single handed, have the biggest, the best, the first, fastest, longest, highest, cutest, and in fact if it wasn't for the Americans, the world today would not exist as we know it, and we would all be still living in caves, eating raw meat, and on foot.

Note:- America doesn't really have a history, just a collection of recent,( by comparison to the British, Greek, Indian, Chinese and half a hundred other civilized country's) local events.

Quote:-America has gone through barbarism to decadence, without touching civilization.

"Have a nice day y'all yeehaa"

Last edited:

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Now you know full well that the Americans are never wrong, always right, first, won both world wars single handed, have the biggest, the best, the first, fastest, longest, highest, cutest, and in fact if it wasn't for the Americans, the world today would not exist as we know it, and we would all be still living in caves, eating raw meat, and on foot.

Note:- America doesn't really have a history, just a collection of recent,( by comparison to the British, Greek, Indian, Chinese and half a hundred other civilized country's) local events.

Quote:-America has gone through barbarism to decadence, without touching civilization.

"Have a nice day y'all yeehaa"
There are some people who come across that way, but the vast majority of Americans I have met are far more earthbound.
Or maybe I'm just not the type who attracts such nutters.

There are some people who come across that way, but the vast majority of Americans I have met are far more earthbound.
Or maybe I'm just not the type who attracts such nutters.
Your reply is concise and measured, i assume you are an ex pat, if so, i do hope that you have kept your sense of tolerance, embarrassment, reserve, and fair play, and don't lose your British mindset and encompass the rather arrogant, unpleasant and patronizing mindset, that i have come across in the many Americans that i have met and mixed with., both here in the UK and abroad. I admit not all are central casting stereotype "Yanks" however it seem to me that their overpowering, to western eyes, love of country dictates that their blinkered view of the world, and how it works, is confined to their bit of land between the pacific on the left bank, and the Atlantic on the right,.

Quote:- The first time the Americans find out where a country is,......... is when the're bombing it.

Be lucky.

Last edited:

DaManBugs

LE
Book Reviewer
Your reply is concise and measured, i assume you are an ex pat, if so, i do hope that you have kept your sense of tolerance, embarrassment, reserve, and fair play, and don't lose your British mindset and encompass the rather arrogant, unpleasant and patronizing mindset, that i have come across in the many Americans that i have met and mixed with., both here in the UK and abroad. I admit not all are central casting stereotype "Yanks" however it seem to me that their overpowering, to western eyes, love of country dictates that their blinkered view of the world, and how it works, is confined to their bit of land between the pacific on the left bank, and the Atlantic on the right,.

Quote:- The first time the Americans find out where a country is,......... is when the're bombing it.

Be lucky.
You also have to remember that the Septics have developed no real history to speak of in the couple of weeks (relatively speaking) they've been a country. So they got Hollywood to make one up for them. Now they can decide if they're descended from Daniel Boone, Wyatt Earp, Wild Bill Hickock, John Wayne or a host of other rather questionable but still "manly" luminaries.

MsG

49er

On ROPS
On ROPs
You also have to remember that the Septics have developed no real history to speak of in the couple of weeks (relatively speaking) they've been a country. So they got Hollywood to make one up for them. Now they can decide if they're descended from Daniel Boone, Wyatt Earp, Wild Bill Hickock, John Wayne or a host of other rather questionable but still "manly" luminaries.

MsG
Oh come on.The gene pool is much larger.
It contains Micky Mouse,Daffy Duck, and Alfred.E.Newman.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer

Be lucky.
You see, it's this kind of bellendery, from some superannuated pillock who possibly once met a yank but has watched an awful lot of movies and is therefore a self appointed expert on all things spam, that gets my goat.

I don't claim to be an expert, never lived in the US, but I do know that an awful lot of bilious and sneery crap is spouted as soon as America is mentioned. Maybe because we almost speak the same language, there's an obvious temptation for the less mentally agile types to think that Americans are just Brits that are doing it wrong rather than a completely different nation, with starkly different imperatives.

Of course the same can be true of some Yanks, who immediately assume everyone else is a limp wristed communist, but on this site they are outnumbered by our home grown mongs.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer

MsG
Oh, fcuk off you bellend.

MsG
Its a bit like silly old bullshitting Irish cnuts pretending they learn their history on their grandmothers knee.
Although I have no doubt you learnt something on your fathers lap.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Its a bit like silly old bullshitting Irish cnuts pretending they learn their history on their grandmothers knee.
Although I have no doubt you learnt something on your fathers lap.
Brasso ?

My country, right or wrong ?

While started as an understandable toast by your own Commodore Decateur, it was later taken up by a German immigrant in a speech, but noting that "if wrong, to be set right."
Unfortunately most people only use or know the first part of the quote, which is really a bit silly.
I think G. K. Chesterton had it taped when he said:
My country, right or wrong' is a thing that no patriot would think of saying except in a desperate case. It is like saying 'My mother, drunk or sober."

Children in the UK also go to kindergarten, when they are five years old they then go to school.

To be honest you were swagging that, and incorrectly too.
You need to chill Jonsey, it is actually possible for you to be wrong about things.
Your three year degree would translate to roughly 90 credit hours. Or an associates, but not a bachelors degree.

One might also understand that the immigrants of the past also managed to fit in quickly.

endure

GCM
Your three year degree would translate to roughly 90 credit hours. Or an associates, but not a bachelors degree.

One might also understand that the immigrants of the past also managed to fit in quickly.
British degree courses are different to US ones in that they don't have majors. They study a single subject so that on a British 3 year degree in physics the whole 3 years is spent studying physics.

British degree courses are different to US ones in that they don't have majors. They study a single subject so that on a British 3 year degree in physics the whole 3 years is spent studying physics.
Which is a bit different then the classical education I went through. The three year system for the hard sciences doesn’t seem to bad. But it also takes away from the well rounded dabble in everything approach.

I had to take unnecessary maths and sciences, and other Criminal Justice and Social Work type classes which were a pita.

The GRE math portion was an absolute fecker for me, as I couldn’t even have any notes and was using the SWAG method on some stuff that I hadn’t seen since high school.

Even Snopes doesn't know the answer to that one.

<cough>

'The Muhlenberg legend is an urban legend in the United States and Germany. According to the legend, the single vote of Frederick Muhlenberg, the first ever Speaker of the US House of Representatives, prevented German from becoming an official language of the United States. The story has a long history and has been told in several variations, which may be based in part on actual events.

'The United States, however, has no statutory official language; English has been used on a de facto basis because of its status as the country's predominant language. At times, various states have passed their own official language laws.

'The legend has a long history and led to a number of analyses and articles published from the late 1920s into the early 1950s explaining why the story was not true. The story was dubbed the "Muhlenberg legend" by the late 1940s. Nevertheless, the legend persists.

'According to one letter writer, who begged Landers to "stomp out that piece of fiction wherever you encounter it", the myth gained traction in the 1930s due to the work of Nazi propagandists.'

Now they can decide if they're descended from Daniel Boone, Wyatt Earp, Wild Bill Hickock, John Wayne or a host of other rather questionable but still "manly" luminaries.
Says the man who sleeps with a Desert Eagle under his pillow.

<cough>

'The Muhlenberg legend is an urban legend in the United States and Germany. According to the legend, the single vote of Frederick Muhlenberg, the first ever Speaker of the US House of Representatives, prevented German from becoming an official language of the United States. The story has a long history and has been told in several variations, which may be based in part on actual events.

'The United States, however, has no statutory official language; English has been used on a de facto basis because of its status as the country's predominant language. At times, various states have passed their own official language laws.

'The legend has a long history and led to a number of analyses and articles published from the late 1920s into the early 1950s explaining why the story was not true. The story was dubbed the "Muhlenberg legend" by the late 1940s. Nevertheless, the legend persists.

'According to one letter writer, who begged Landers to "stomp out that piece of fiction wherever you encounter it", the myth gained traction in the 1930s due to the work of Nazi propagandists.'

Thank you.

But still - it ain't Snopes :wink: