Mass Shootings in the US

Moved here as it is more appropriate:

Having searched for a bit, the only reference I can find was three people shot at a party in Essex on 13 June. None died.

I wonder how many similar shootings of 3+ people happened in the US in the past month? Their population is 5 x larger, so I would expect it to match.

97, according to Wikipedia. List of mass shootings in the United States in 2020 - Wikipedia

I will give @Steamboat his due, however - none this year in Wyoming.
That's because nobody lives there! You could fit the entire population of Wyoming into Düsseldorf once or Cologne twice.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Not naive, but in very simple terms. Stats can tell you anything if you torture them enough.

I like the US - I have tried (and failed) to get the 'Odd things about the US' thread on track. It has a bit of an issue with people killing each other with firearms though.

Good ad hom, mind. Carry on.
Not an ad hominem at all you sweet thing !
Just an observation that your views of these things are a little naive.

Now just crack on.

Not an ad hominem at all you sweet thing !
Just an observation that your views of these things are a little naive.

Now just crack on.
Thanks for your input.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Moved here as it is more appropriate:

Having searched for a bit, the only reference I can find was three people shot at a party in Essex on 13 June. None died.

I wonder how many similar shootings of 3+ people happened in the US in the past month? Their population is 5 x larger, so I would expect it to match.

97, according to Wikipedia. List of mass shootings in the United States in 2020 - Wikipedia

I will give @Steamboat his due, however - none this year in Wyoming.
Using the traditional definition of “ mass shooting”, Wyoming has not had one. To many armed polite people live here.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Using the traditional definition of “ mass shooting”, Wyoming has not had one. To many armed polite people live here.
That's not actually the reason though is it?

Wyoming is the state with the smallest population in the US and many experts believe that the reason the Cowboy state hasn't suffered a mass shooting is pure 'Coincidence'. Their reasoning is that smaller populations and more rural lifestyle equals fewer opportunities on average.

That's not actually the reason though is it?

Wyoming is the state with the smallest population in the US and many experts believe that the reason the Cowboy state hasn't suffered a mass shooting is pure 'Coincidence'. Their reasoning is that smaller populations and more rural lifestyle equals fewer opportunities on average.
Then you might as well put the whole article up.

But the experts seem to forget that even small population states still have mass gatherings with a significant amount of people.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Then you might as well put the whole article up.

But the experts seem to forget that even small population states still have mass gatherings with a significant amount of people.

There you go I didn't want to embarrass you with this bit.

While there is a lack of Mass Shootings, unfortunately there is however plenty of gun violence within the Cowboy state. In fact Wyoming consistently ranks in the top 10 for gun violence per capita and the sad reality is that the gun violence within our borders is related to our high number of suicides per capita. Though we have been spared a large numbers of mass shootings, Wyoming definitely has a suicide problem! And it was shocking to learn that almost 4 out of every 5 gun related deaths annually in our state are the result of suicides that involve the use of a firearm.

Read More: Why Does Wyoming's Love of Guns NOT Equal Mass Shootings?
but as you insist on it.

Bodenplatte

War Hero

1594639263989.png

There you go I didn't want to embarrass you with this bit.

While there is a lack of Mass Shootings, unfortunately there is however plenty of gun violence within the Cowboy state. In fact Wyoming consistently ranks in the top 10 for gun violence per capita and the sad reality is that the gun violence within our borders is related to our high number of suicides per capita. Though we have been spared a large numbers of mass shootings, Wyoming definitely has a suicide problem! And it was shocking to learn that almost 4 out of every 5 gun related deaths annually in our state are the result of suicides that involve the use of a firearm.

Read More: Why Does Wyoming's Love of Guns NOT Equal Mass Shootings?
but as you insist on it.
I know about the suicide rate here, everybody does. It will get worse with the State of the economy, and not make the COVID lockdown not worth it.

Bodenplatte

War Hero
The correlation between a high suicide rate and high levels of gun ownership seems pretty obvious: people have easy and ready access to the most effective, least survivable, method.

Please - no photographs of SIGSW survivors.

The correlation between a high suicide rate and high levels of gun ownership seems pretty obvious: people have easy and ready access to the most effective, least survivable, method.

Please - no photographs of SIGSW survivors.
Yes, and many (new) people here don’t do to well after a few winters. You either love it or hate it with a passion. But with the massive cuts in state budget, the social services won’t be as readily available or accessible to many. So I expect a good chunk to leave, and more suicides in the future.

My bold, if you exclude shotguns, probably less than a quarter of 1% ..
snip "According to the most recent figures for England and Wales, there are 138,728 people certificated to hold firearms and they own 435,383 weapons. There are 574,946 shotgun certificates which cover 1.4 million shotguns.
Statistics for Scotland show that 70,839 firearms were held by 26,072 certificate holders at the end of last year. Some 50,000 people in Scotland are certificated to hold shotguns - and 137,768 weapons are covered by that scheme"
A county I'm familiar with has approx 40,000 cert holders (so both SGC and FAC, and that's not the number of guns either) for a population of approximately 2,504,820. However, that's not a full picture. The firearm density is much higher in ruralshire than in the cities. In the countryside, some villages pretty much have a firearm in every other house. Heave a plate out of the window and yell "pull" it'll get hit from sixteen different directions. Most countryside villages are really well armed. Its only when you get into towns and cities that the ownership levels drop.

EDIT: Moved here as it is more appropriate:

I genuinely cannot remember a mass shooting being reported in the UK - could you provide a link a the news story?

I live in London, so on balance it probably wasn't too far away...
Yes I could provide a link but I'm not going to, not on this thread anyway. I've mentioned it and a number of times on this forum along with other shootings in the past month in the UK and the sound of crickets has been deafening.

Last edited:
EDIT: Moved here as it is more appropriate:

I genuinely cannot remember a mass shooting being reported in the UK - could you provide a link a the news story?

I live in London, so on balance it probably wasn't too far away...
Am I understanding you correctly are you saying you can’t ever remember a mass shooting in the UK. They certainly happen, not as frequently but they are there. Google.

Dunblane, Hungerford, the sh!tstain Raoul Moat........just off the top of my swede.

endure

GCM
Am I understanding you correctly are you saying you can’t ever remember a mass shooting in the UK. They certainly happen, not as frequently but they are there. Google.

He's replying to SamtheBam who said there'd been a mass shooting in the UK in the past month.

There was a mass shooting in Manchester in 2018 with no fatalities. There was Derek Bird and Raoul Moat but they were in 2010.

Off the top of my own swede I reckon the Raoul Moat was the most recent at about 10 years ago...
Something like. To be fair, no one does mass murder like the Yanks though.

Latest Threads