Mass Shootings in the US

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
I agree in part, your own situation out in the wilds of Wyoming requires a firearms, makes perfect sense, as your wildlife is a bit more serious than ours, that I understand, what I cannot fathom out, is why Joe citizen, living In a quite suburb of Huston, a big city, needs to have a sidearm. Or Joe schmuck in Manhattan needs one. Like the USA, there are Ex service personal who are conversant with firearms. Here in the UK, just about every man over 75 has had some military experience, either National service, or voluntary military service. My generation now in our late 60's and early 70's have seen service in NI, The Falkland's, Bosnia, Iraq, Belize, Aden, Cyprus, Kenya, and a hundred other war zones, but very few have an inkling to tote military grade firearms as civvies. I cannot begin to fathom out why an ordinary citizen, living and working in a town or city, needs to walk about with a gun in his belt.
Better to have one and not need it than need one and not have one!

You can say that about a number of things and have it equally true. You need to assess the cost of having it.

To take it to silly extremes, there’s no substitute for a kilo or so of plastic explosive and detonators when you need them, but few people count a demolition kit in their “every day carry”.

Just who are we to judge the US? The reason why the US exists is that for over 2 centuries europeansand brits have had enough of Europe and Britain and want to live somewhere without the overbearing we know better attitude that infests Europe, now more than ever before.
Have a Like. Accept that America is a different country, with a different culture to the UK. Guns seem to be an important part of that culture for a number of reasons, let them get on with it.

I just blame it all on 1775 and the Brits. :smile:
Corrected that for you!
On April 19, 1775 the Brits marched from Boston to Lexington and Concord to attempt to seize all the colonists weapons. They did not get the guns and had to fight their way back to Boston. The Anglican church in Cambridge, MA still has bullet holes from the British forces.

On April 19, 1775 the Brits marched from Boston to Lexington and Concord to attempt to seize all the colonists weapons. They did not get the guns and had to fight their way back to Boston.
They should have had more guns.

I agree in part, your own situation out in the wilds of Wyoming requires a firearms, makes perfect sense, as your wildlife is a bit more serious than ours, that I understand, what I cannot fathom out, is why Joe citizen, living In a quite suburb of Huston, a big city, needs to have a sidearm. Or Joe schmuck in Manhattan needs one. Like the USA, there are Ex service personal who are conversant with firearms. Here in the UK, just about every man over 75 has had some military experience, either National service, or voluntary military service. My generation now in our late 60's and early 70's have seen service in NI, The Falkland's, Bosnia, Iraq, Belize, Aden, Cyprus, Kenya, and a hundred other war zones, but very few have an inkling to tote military grade firearms as civvies. I cannot begin to fathom out why an ordinary citizen, living and working in a town or city, needs to walk about with a gun in his belt.
At some point one realizes that 99 out 100 people just want to carry on with life. But that one person can ruin your day, or life. While some people are content to take their chances, others like me want to have the ability to defend hearth and home.

At some point one realizes that 99 out 100 people just want to carry on with life. But that one person can ruin your day, or life. While some people are content to take their chances, others like me want to have the ability to defend hearth and home.

what I cannot fathom out, is why Joe citizen, living In a quite suburb of Huston, a big city, needs to have a sidearm. Or Joe schmuck in Manhattan needs one.
Take your pick from the list below. Now before anyone says it's only stuff and it's insured, to that I say no. It's someone's home and no one has a right to enter unless invited. If anything, over here the homes in quiet suburban neighbours are more likely to be targetted than a home out in the countryside.

Take your pick from the list below. Now before anyone says it's only stuff and it's insured, to that I say no. It's someone's home and no one has a right to enter unless invited. If anything, over here the homes in quiet suburban neighbours are more likely to be targetted than a home out in the countryside.

Over here its the other way around, isolated homes out in the sticks are targeted, as plod are many miles away in the nearest town ,, the big country estates are full of century's of collected treasures, century old farm houses are easy pickings for organised gangs, and small villagers surrounded by farm land will not have any law officers local.

Tony martin who had suffered many break ins, at his isolated farm house, fired a shot gun into the night, and killed a burglar, he got 3 years, and was only released due to public outrage at his sentence.

In The UK we have over 6,000,000 CCTV cameras, many homes have Alarm systems fitted, I Do and two CCTV cameras permanently on, very visible from the public road, a deterrent, which works, many homes have land sharks, again a deterrent, farming community's have shotguns, again a defence, but they are highly controlled.

Nobody carry's hand guns,, not needed, and not wanted. These island have been inhabited by warring factions long before the roman conquests, the carrying of swords by gentleman died out at the end of the 18th century, ditto guns. Modern surveillance techniques, and robust policing seem to have curbed the need for private citizens to go out tooled up. We do not have the wild west mind-set so beloved by Americans................ We have no need for penis extensions.

Last edited:
We do not have the wild west mind-set so beloved by Americans
That there is a huge assumption of your part and a far cry from your original post of why someone in a home in a quiet suburban area in a city would have a firearm.

We have no need for penis extensions.
And that there is just more pish and childish.

I have a fair few firearms, I don't take or carry any of them when I go into town.

Edit to add.

Tony martin who had suffered many break ins, at his isolated farm house, fired a shot gun into the night, and killed a burglar, he got 3 years, and was only released due to public outrage at his sentence.
That seems to speaks volumes on how members of the British public really feel about dealing with lowlife burglars

Last edited:
Nobody carry's hand guns, NOBODY, not needed, and not wanted.
Nobody, except for the roughly 10,000 people licensed to carry a personal protection weapon in the UK.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
You can say that about a number of things and have it equally true. You need to assess the cost of having it.

To take it to silly extremes, there’s no substitute for a kilo or so of plastic explosive and detonators when you need them, but few people count a demolition kit in their “every day carry”.
Well, you're obviously not a Muslim

Nobody carry's hand guns, NOBODY, not needed, and not ............ We have no need for penis extensions.
Bolloxs

I know of many people in the UK who are licenced to carry handguns for personal protection.

Beeten to it by Legs

Nobody, except for the roughly 10,000 people licensed to carry a personal protection weapon in the UK.
Is that the UK as a whole or just NI? If you're licensed to carry a PPW in NI are you allowed to take it with you to England/Scotland/Wales and carry it on your person?

Genuine question, not looking for an argument.

I stand corrected, I really was not aware that so many individuals were carrying guns. Which raises the question, who are they afraid of, and why. 10,00 out of 60,000,000. still a far smaller percentage by population head than America.

endure

GCM
Over here its the other way around, isolated homes out in the sticks are targeted, as plod are many miles away in the nearest town ,, the big country estates are full of century's of collected treasures, century old farm houses are easy pickings for organised gangs, and small villagers surrounded by farm land will not have any law officers local.

Tony Martin was charged with and found guilty of murder. He was sentenced to life with a recommended tariff of 8 years.

On appeal he was found to suffer from paranoia and Asperger's syndrome. The charge was reduced to manslaughter and the sentence to 5 years. Parole was refused as the parole board thought he was still 'a very dangerous man'.

He was released after 3 years which was the maximum sentence he could serve allowing for good behaviour.

Just the facts ma'am...

Exactly! When people start getting arsey and throwing your bins around it's easily resolved when you have an AK47 handy:

Latest Threads