Mass Shootings in the US

Without wishing to sound crass the post you typed there sounds like the cheesy plot of an American action film where the hero cop runs around in a vest and has a pistol with a limitless supply of rounds.

The post is very much real life for the US though, which seems all the more bizarre for those of us outside that country.
I wonder if he gave any thought to taking the postal van as he went on his spree?

Toppet

Old-Salt
Then you clearly must not understand what bans are.
You have, at least once to my memory, gone all Violet Elizabeth* as soon as someone mentioned looking at the current situation to see if it was appropriate - no mention of a ban at all. It's a shame as but for this topic, which you seem as blinkered on (albeit in a different direction) as the most liberal of liberals, I quite enjoy your posts.

*NB For American (and probably a lot of Brit) readers: She was a fictional schoolgirl who as soon as something looked as if it were not going to go her way, would "scweam and scweam until she was sick".

LJONESY

On ROPS
On ROPs
You have, at least once to my memory, gone all Violet Elizabeth* as soon as someone mentioned looking at the current situation to see if it was appropriate - no mention of a ban at all. It's a shame as but for this topic, which you seem as blinkered on (albeit in a different direction) as the most liberal of liberals, I quite enjoy your posts.

*NB For American (and probably a lot of Brit) readers: She was a fictional schoolgirl who as soon as something looked as if it were not going to go her way, would "scweam and scweam until she was sick".
The 2nd upholds all the rest. Blinkered though?? No I know the nature of the opposition here and their eventual aim. Death by a thousand small cuts is still death.

I do expect a ban in the future by a certain party via executive action. At which point I spose non compliance will be the course of action to follow.

But trust me, you want people to scream rather than go silent and plan.

Toppet

Old-Salt
The 2nd upholds all the rest. Blinkered though?? No I know the nature of the opposition here and their eventual aim. Death by a thousand small cuts is still death.

I do expect a ban in the future by a certain party via executive action. At which point I spose non compliance will be the course of action to follow.

But trust me, you want people to scream rather than go silent and plan.
Thanks for proving my point.

Toppet

Old-Salt
You have already made up your mind, based on the quirks of your British upbringing. All we have to do is replace 2nd amendment with the NHS and you folks are also more than willing to dig your heels in.
Pray, tell me my opinion on weapons ownership?

I'm more than happy to criticise the NHS - it has many fine qualities - but many areas for improvement as well.

LJONESY

On ROPS
On ROPs
Pray, tell me my opinion on weapons ownership?

I'm more than happy to criticise the NHS - it has many fine qualities - but many areas for improvement as well.
Well do tell us your thoughts. Please lay out your ideas for firearms ownership.

Toppet

Old-Salt
Well do tell us your thoughts. Please lay out your ideas for firearms ownership.
No - you seem to think I have already made up my mind, so you either have some knowledge of my opinion on which to base that, or were once more getting hot under the collar because someone mentioned your hobby.

I have no issue with rifle / shotgun ownership in the UK - my brother conducts deer management for the MOD (plenty of venison in my freezer); my grandparents (when alive) shot, I've been shooting this year (clays). Pistols in the mainland UK (less those who are currently allowed them as a PPW or for their work) I think should probably stay as is. If we reintroduced them then it would likely be even easier for crims to get hold of, and them not being easily available does not (on a national level) affect a huge number of people.

However, per my first paragraph, please let me know my thoughts on the US.

LJONESY

On ROPS
On ROPs
No - you seem to think I have already made up my mind, so you either have some knowledge of my opinion on which to base that, or were once more getting hot under the collar because someone mentioned your hobby.

I have no issue with rifle / shotgun ownership in the UK - my brother conducts deer management for the MOD (plenty of venison in my freezer); my grandparents (when alive) shot, I've been shooting this year (clays). Pistols in the mainland UK (less those who are currently allowed them as a PPW or for their work) I think should probably stay as is. If we reintroduced them then it would likely be even easier for crims to get hold of, and them not being easily available does not (on a national level) affect a huge number of people.

However, per my first paragraph, please let me know my thoughts on the US.
I do enjoy reading the opinions of others. It does bring some chuckles, especially when compared to the U.K.

Well it certainly looks like Congress are working on it.

Trump said this morning:

We’re in the process of dealing with Democrats, Republicans. They’ve been working very hard on it, they’re coming back very soon,” the president said. “There’s a big package of things that’s going to be put before [Congress], by a lot of different people. We have a lot of groups working on it.”

What package the president spoke of — and whether it actually exists — is not clear. Congress does have a gun reform bill that has passed the house, (Democrats) H.R. 8, that would expand background checks on gun purchases. Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell has refused to take up the bill in the upper chamber, (Republican) and given that it deals with background checks — something Trump has made clear he is against expanding — it seems likely the president would veto the measure even if it passed the Senate.

So what exactly is Mr President talking about?

LJONESY

On ROPS
On ROPs
Well it certainly looks like Congress are working on it.

Trump said this morning:

We’re in the process of dealing with Democrats, Republicans. They’ve been working very hard on it, they’re coming back very soon,” the president said. “There’s a big package of things that’s going to be put before [Congress], by a lot of different people. We have a lot of groups working on it.”

What package the president spoke of — and whether it actually exists — is not clear. Congress does have a gun reform bill that has passed the house, (Democrats) H.R. 8, that would expand background checks on gun purchases. Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell has refused to take up the bill in the upper chamber, (Republican) and given that it deals with background checks — something Trump has made clear he is against expanding — it seems likely the president would veto the measure even if it passed the Senate.

So what exactly is Mr President talking about?
No clue but he does know any sort of major gun control bill would torpedo his chances next year. After that who knows??

Toppet

Old-Salt
I do enjoy reading the opinions of others. It does bring some chuckles, especially when compared to the U.K.
It's fine to admit you have no idea what my opinion is on a gun ban in the US, despite thinking you did.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer

Nemesis44UK

LE
Book Reviewer
Friday afternoon. In Springfield, Missouri a man entered a Walmart carrying what appeared to an assault weapon and wearing tactical gear. The man was detained with no shots fired by an off duty firefighter who was carrying his licensed personal weapon. The police arrived a few minuted later and arrested the man.

CNN

Covered in more detail on Fox but I some here always criticize Fox I will omit the link.
If the man had been black, he'd resemble swiss cheese by now.

And another one, which ups Redshift's Labor Day stat. Not black, not gang-related, not politically or religiously motivated; 'just' teenage angst and access to firearms.

'Hours after a frantic teenage boy called police and told them he’d heard gunshots in his family’s Alabama home, the 14-year-old admitted the sound of gunshots had come from him, killing his entire family. Police rushed to the home in Elkmont in the US state of Alabama around 11pm on Monday night after the boy called 911 and reported the shooting.

'The teenager was standing on the driveway when the officers arrived and he told the officers he’d heard gunshots upstairs. The officers ran into the suburban home and found an adult and two children dead inside.
Another adult and child were flown to hospital with critical injuries but were unable to be saved. The victims of the horrific shooting have since been identifed as the teenager’s dad John Sisk, 38, his stepmum Mary, 35, his six-year-old brother, his five-year-old sister and his six-month-old brother.'

And another one, which ups Redshift's Labor Day stat. Not black, not gang-related, not politically or religiously motivated; 'just' teenage angst and access to firearms.

'Hours after a frantic teenage boy called police and told them he’d heard gunshots in his family’s Alabama home, the 14-year-old admitted the sound of gunshots had come from him, killing his entire family. Police rushed to the home in Elkmont in the US state of Alabama around 11pm on Monday night after the boy called 911 and reported the shooting.

'The teenager was standing on the driveway when the officers arrived and he told the officers he’d heard gunshots upstairs. The officers ran into the suburban home and found an adult and two children dead inside.
Another adult and child were flown to hospital with critical injuries but were unable to be saved. The victims of the horrific shooting have since been identifed as the teenager’s dad John Sisk, 38, his stepmum Mary, 35, his six-year-old brother, his five-year-old sister and his six-month-old brother.'

Looks like the Boomtown Rats will need a rewrite to include the rest of the week.

Latest Threads