Mass Shootings in the US

Splitz

Old-Salt
Since 1982, more people in the US have been killed by lightning strikes than mass shootings.

The 22 deaths in El Paso, whilst tragic, bear no comparison to the 1,247 homicides which occurred literally as stone's throw away in Ciudad Huarez last year (El Paso had 23 in 2018).
El Paso homicide rate per 100,000 in 2018: 2.76
Ciudad Juarez homicide rate per 100,000 in 2018: 89
Which is safer; the city in a country with truly draconian firearms laws or the one with a homicide rate lower than that of the borough of Lambeth?
Why does this post bring to mind an image of a worm squirming round on a fishing hook...?

Splitz

Old-Salt
We've just had a nutcase just go on the rampage in the middle of Sydney with a machete.

Killed one person in an apartment before heading out into the street and trying to attack a bunch of other people while screaming "Alans Snackbar" and demanding the police shoot him. One lady is in hospital at the moment with a stab wound to her back.

He got taken down by members of the public. One was armed with a milk crate and the other had a chair.

The memes have already kicked off.

View attachment 410214
Those 'members of the public' were three Brits from Manchester; working on an upper floor of a building they saw what was going on, rushed down the stairs and took him on. None of them had - or needed - a gun.

Last edited:
Those 'members of the public' were Brits from Manchester; working on an upper floor of a building they saw what was going on, rushed down the stairs and took him on. None of them had - or needed - a gun.
As they weren't dealing with a mass shooter, or even a shooter, your point is?

Since 1982, more people in the US have been killed by lightning strikes than mass shootings.

The 22 deaths in El Paso, whilst tragic, bear no comparison to the 1,247 homicides which occurred literally as stone's throw away in Ciudad Huarez last year (El Paso had 23 in 2018).
El Paso homicide rate per 100,000 in 2018: 2.76
Ciudad Juarez homicide rate per 100,000 in 2018: 89
Which is safer; the city in a country with truly draconian firearms laws or the one with a homicide rate lower than that of the borough of Lambeth?
I might not agree with some of your posts but you usually get the numbers right and avoid silly statements.

Sadly not here.

Death from lightning varies by source and reporting period (as you might expect from a truly random event) but various time slices since the eighties give:
  • NOAA - 51 per annum
  • NWS - 51 down to 27 in the last decade
  • CDC - 87
We can probably agree that they are reliable sources.

I posted it up the thread and IIRC the mass shooting casualties are about 450/year.

So you are about 8 times more likely to die in a mass shooting event than by Big Sparky.

I might not agree with some of your posts but you usually get the numbers right and avoid silly statements.

Sadly not here.

Death from lightning varies by source and reporting period (as you might expect from a truly random event) but various time slices since the eighties give:
  • NOAA - 51 per annum
  • NWS - 51 down to 27 in the last decade
  • CDC - 87
We can probably agree that they are reliable sources.

I posted it up the thread and IIRC the mass shooting casualties are about 450/year.

So you are about 8 times more likely to die in a mass shooting event than by Big Sparky.
That depends on whose definition of "mass shooting" you use.
I prefer the FBI one, rather than the one pushed by the gun control lobby (their own).

Those 'members of the public' were three Brits from Manchester; working on an upper floor of a building they saw what was going on, rushed down the stairs and took him on. None of them had - or needed - a gun.
Except that they weren't. Two brave expat brothers from Manchester were amongst a group of people involved.

'A Sydney lawyer has been revealed as the man who chased a crazed alleged stabber through the CBD yesterday. John Bamford was walking along York St when he sprung into action, nabbing a single wicker chair from a nearby cafe, chasing Mert Young down the street. The mysterious “Chair Man” was praised a hero by police, along with countless others who dramatically restrained the 21-year-old after his alleged stabbing frenzy on Tuesday afternoon.

'While Mr Bamford still hasn’t spoken publicly about the ordeal, nearby office workers said he was back at work today going about his business. Mr Bamford is among the last of the heroes to be identified after NSW Police Commissioner Mick Fuller said they didn’t want to miss any person who may have “acted courageously” during the apprehension. Traffic controller Steven Georgiadas estimates there were up to 15 people involved in the chase.'

Show us the numbers Odders.
With data provided by criminologist Grant Duwe, CRS also compiled a 44-year (1970-2013) dataset of firearms-related mass murders that could arguably be characterized as “mass public shootings.” These data show that there were on average:
•one (1.1) incident per year during the 1970s (5.5 victims murdered, 2.0 wounded per incident),
•nearly three (2.7) incidents per year during the 1980s (6.1 victims murdered, 5.3 wounded per incident), •four (4.0) incidents per year during the 1990s (5.6 victims murdered, 5.5 wounded per incident),
•four (4.1) incidents per year during the 2000s (6.4 victims murdered, 4.0 wounded per incident), and •four (4.5) incidents per year from 2010 through 2013 (7.4 victims murdered, 6.3 wounded per incident)

Good guys with guns, six of them got shot, thankfully none fatally:

Yeah I know, the bad guy probably had his guns illegally, I guess. But I suppose when you have so many firearms, many of them will end up in the hands of those who shouldn't have them.

Choices and consequences.

Good guys with guns, six of them got shot, thankfully none fatally:

Yeah I know, the bad guy probably had his guns illegally, I guess. But I suppose when you have so many firearms, many of them will end up in the hands of those who shouldn't have them.

Choices and consequences.
I'd thought about posted that incident earlier and decided against it, as there are too many excuses. As an observation thought, given the length of the incident, it seems (from afar) to have been pretty poor drills by plod.

I'd thought about posted that incident earlier and decided against it, as there are too many excuses. As an observation thought, given the length of the incident, it seems (from afar) to have been pretty poor drills by plod.
You have to remember that in addition to the two officers trapped in the building there were three prisoners under arrest. They are criminals but as they were handcuffed and under arrest the police were responsible for their safety too. The police did not do a bad job of preventing additional shooting victims despite the shooter shooting up through the ceiling trying to get the cops who were in two rooms (one with one prisoner, one with two) The police were dealing with an incident with five hostages and none were injured.

seanhon

On ROPS
On ROPs
I dont give a rats ass if theres a million shootings. Theyll not have my gun.

seanhon

On ROPS
On ROPs

seanhon

On ROPS
On ROPs
Why would you say that? I am from the U.S. as well...do you not value life?
Perhaps he values the lives of his family and himself over the lives of criminals with unlicensed weapons.

Latest Threads