Mass Shootings in the US

I think I'm coming to the conclusion that all Americans should be armed to the teeth by law. All adults should be required to carry a pistol and a semi-automatic rifle whilst in public including a minimum of 120 rounds.

Places like Walmart could offer discounts to citizens who also carry anti-tank weapons or Manpads etc.
Every house should be turned into a strongpoint, with cleared fields of fire, mixed high-density minefields, barbed wire entanglements and DFs registered on all likely approaches.

A trip to the shops should be supported by a creeping barrage, the postmen should deliver mail under covering fire from an intimate support tank troop and all children should be extensively trained in CQB techniques before being allowed to enrol in elementary school.

It's the only way they can be safe.

Interesting stats.

I lived a few hundred yards away from Longmoor Ranges for 2.5 years up to a few months ago.

Two long ranges and a shorter one.

They were rarely used more than once per week and quite often not for 2/3 weeks at a stretch.

Now I know Bordon is no longer a garrison town and Longmoor Barracks is some weird sort of transition camp but this lack of use surprised me.
Symptomatic of a malaise in the Brit Army that set in before I joined, and has by now (2 generations or so later) become accepted as the institutional norm. This most basic and essential military skillset is of tertiary concern to all but a minority of leaders, and those who might have the clout to institute remedial action simply don't give a flying fvck.

Symptomatic of a malaise in the Brit Army that set in before I joined, and has by now (2 generations or so later) become accepted as the institutional norm. This most basic and essential military skillset is of tertiary concern to all but a minority of leaders, and those who might have the clout to institute remedial action simply don't give a flying fvck.
I don't disagree but it is a very worrying mindset.
How much does SA 80 ammunition cost?

Splitz

Old-Salt

Harsh language is not going to stop somebody intent on killing people. But armed intervention will. All it takes is one event to make a believer out of most people. Firearms are a deterrent to criminals. Odds are you would be a victim of violent crime long before I would.
Sunshine, how many guns are there in the USA? I saw a figure once but can't remember what it was; I do remember that it's a multiple of the population.

If firearms were any sort of deterrent at all, you'd be living in a totally crime-free society. Are you living in a totally crime-free society?

Hmm. Thought not.

The only time I've ever been a victim of violent crime was getting mugged at gunpoint. In broad daylight. In Cleveland, Ohio...

Gosh. Wow. Big Don's on the case. Something is bound to change.

I know what that thing will be.

Nothing.

Why shouldn't people drive drunk? They aren't hurting anyone and to do so is an unacceptable infringement of their civil liberties and right to travel. Why are you happy with punishing people that haven't done anything wrong for the actions of others?
So, according to you it is wise and sensible to let people drive as fast as they like, even while they are drunk?

Are you fkucing insane?

Gosh. Wow. Big Don's on the case. Something is bound to change.

I know what that thing will be.

Nothing.
Yep, polishing his standup comedy routine.

'US President Donald Trump says he is talking with the powerful National Rifle Association and others to make sure that their "very strong views" about the Second Amendment are represented and respected in discussions about gun control legislation. He tweeted on Friday that he's one of the biggest supporters of the right to bear arms, but that everyone must unite and find ways to respond to mass shootings in America. Trump said leaders in the House and Senate are having "serious discussions" about background checks for buying guns. Trump repeated his claim that guns should not be "placed in the hands of mentally ill or deranged people" and said common sense solutions can be implemented for the good of everyone.'

Every house should be turned into a strongpoint, with cleared fields of fire, mixed high-density minefields, barbed wire entanglements and DFs registered on all likely approaches.

A trip to the shops should be supported by a creeping barrage, the postmen should deliver mail under covering fire from an intimate support tank troop and all children should be extensively trained in CQB techniques before being allowed to enrol in elementary school.

It's the only way they can be safe.
Sounds like a wealthy neighborhood in South Africa... @Lardbeast

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Yep, polishing his standup comedy routine.

'US President Donald Trump says he is talking with the powerful National Rifle Association and others to make sure that their "very strong views" about the Second Amendment are represented and respected in discussions about gun control legislation. He tweeted on Friday that he's one of the biggest supporters of the right to bear arms, but that everyone must unite and find ways to respond to mass shootings in America. Trump said leaders in the House and Senate are having "serious discussions" about background checks for buying guns. Trump repeated his claim that guns should not be "placed in the hands of mentally ill or deranged people" and said common sense solutions can be implemented for the good of everyone.'

Trust me these will the best talks ever, I am just saying the very best of talks I know all the talkiest words

Sunshine, how many guns are there in the USA? I saw a figure once but can't remember what it was; I do remember that it's a multiple of the population.

If firearms were any sort of deterrent at all, you'd be living in a totally crime-free society. Are you living in a totally crime-free society?

Hmm. Thought not.

The only time I've ever been a victim of violent crime was getting mugged at gunpoint. In broad daylight. In Cleveland, Ohio...
Around 400 million or so, but that might be a tad bit on the low end.

No society is crime free, but we do have lower rates of violent crime then what you do in the UK. The odds of you being a victim are higher on your side of the pond then flyover gun country. I wonder why that is??

Well your accent does make you an easy mark. Pros and cons to everything old bean.

endure

GCM

No society is crime free, but we do have lower rates of violent crime then what you do in the UK.
Bullshit.

"2. “In the UK there are 2,034 violent crimes per 100,000 people. …The US has a violent crime rate of 466 [violent] crimes per 100,000 residents.”

Some advice for Mr. Swann: when you see statistics that look unbelievable, you probably shouldn’t believe them, at least until you dig deeper into the data. Based on these figures, it appears that Britain is over 4 times more violent than the US, and since this is all he gives you, that is exactly what he leads his viewers to believe.

What Swann either doesn’t know, or simply doesn’t bother to tell his viewers, is that the definitions for “violent crime” are very different in the US and Britain, and the methodologies of the two statistics he cites are also different. (He probably simply doesn’t realize this: it appears that he lifted his data wholesale from a story in the Daily Mail, without checking it–something you might expect a fact checker to have done.)

First, it should be noted that the figures Swann gives are out of date: in 2010, according to the FBI, the reported rate of violent crime in the US was 403 incidents per 100,000 people–the 466 figure comes from 2007.

Second, and more importantly, the FBI’s Uniform Crime Reports defines a “violent crime” as one of four specific offenses: murder and nonnegligent manslaughter, forcible rape, robbery, and aggravated assault.

The British Home Office, by contrast, has a substantially different definition of violent crime. The British definition includes all “crimes against the person,” including simple assaults, all robberies, and all “sexual offenses,” as opposed to the FBI, which only counts aggravated assaults and “forcible rapes.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer

No society is crime free, but we do have lower rates of violent crime then what you do in the UK. The odds of you being a victim are higher on your side of the pond then flyover gun country. I wonder why that is??

Well your accent does make you an easy mark. Pros and cons to everything old bean.
I like the way the US shrinks to your state as usual when you try and compare crime stats.
Intentional homicide rate UK 1.17 Ranked 74th. US 4.7
Ranked 7th. 4 times more than United Kingdom

Murder rate UK 722
Ranked 34th. 12,996 US Ranked 9th. 18 times more than United Kingdom

Murder rate per million people UK 11.68
Ranked 94th. 42.01
Ranked US 43th. 4 times more than United Kingdom

Murders UK 722 Ranked 34th. US 12,996
Ranked 9th. 18 times more than United Kingdom

Murders per million people UK 11.68
Ranked 94th. US 42.01 Ranked 43th. 4 times more than United Kingdom
I wouldn't check the crime rates either. .Spoiler Alert it's not a win for the USA

Edit
Just so you don't scream fake noos
Factual Reporting: VERY HIGH

Notes: NationMaster is a website that delivers statistical facts about every country in the world. For example, you can look up population data, crime rate, agriculture, economics, and more. NationMaster uses credible sources for their stats such as government websites. One negative about this site is some of the data is very dated. It seems as if the website is not updated often. Regardless, this is a least biased source that has useful statistical information.

Last edited:
I like the way the US shrinks to your state as usual when you try and compare crime stats.

Murder rate UK 722

Ranked 94th. 42.01

Don't worry, the death/ murder rate per capita of WY is in the top 10 of U.S. states.

Murder rate UK 722

Ranked 94th. 42.01

No place like home, Dorothy!