Mass Shootings in the US

Not what Helm asked. Those are examples of states passing laws that contradict federal laws which will make for an amusing scuffle between lawyers.

The point is, what gives a sheriff the right to ignore certain laws that they disagree with? The Washington laws (having just had a quick look) were passed within the state and certain sheriffs have publicly said they won't enforce them. Surely that makes a mockery of the law?

I look forward to American citizens trying that approach. "Why yes sheriff, I was doing 120mph through a residential area while off my face on a variety of drugs but I believe that to arrest me would be tyranny. I think those laws are unfair and against my rights. Piss off"
Because Laws are worth nothing, without people to enforce them. Nobody gives a toss about what what the residents of one city want.

When you are dealing with people that are in essence foriegn transplants. Nobody in rural areas really cares about their ideals. They just see people that live hundreds of miles away, trying to control their lives.

The only way to truly enforce these laws are to go door to door and take away all the guns. Who wants to do that?

The police in the UK won't enforce our laws on pikeys due to lack of support from above. IMHO support from above needs to be a rotory asset with 20 mm cannon. Over all I admire the US police robust attitude. If you aren't fit able and willing to carry and use a side arm you aren't fit to be a LEO.

Because Laws are worth nothing, without people to enforce them. Nobody gives a toss about what what the residents of one city want.
Americans really do have an issue with the idea of democracy, don't they. For "residents of one city" try "majority of state residents in a vote"

I look forward to American citizens trying that approach. "Why yes sheriff, I was doing 120mph through a residential area while off my face on a variety of drugs but I believe that to arrest me would be tyranny. I think those laws are unfair and against my rights. Piss off"
Already happening. Get on YouTube and search for "sovereign citizen".

You'll see a whole range of self appointed "sovereigns" explaining to police that they don't need a driving licence, car insurance or valid tags (= UK road tax) because, somehow, the law doesn't apply to them. The police response is invariably polite and accommodating until they reach a tipping point when they smash in the driver's window before Tazering the occupants, beating the cr@p out of them and feeding then to police dogs. As well as a badge, American police should wear a crapometer so belligerent citizens can see how much time they've got left before the Tazer comes out.

The best sovereigns are the "active Moors". They wear Tommy Cooper style fez hats as a badge of their religion and they believe that black people were the original inhabitants of America and therefore own all of the land and everything on it.

Regarding rural sheriffs refusing to enforce the law, isn't the same thing happening here? We've already had British police forces stating that they won't attend shop lifting, burglary or drugs incidents. They claim that this is due to a lack of resources rather than political opposition to government policy but the jury's still out on that.

Ironically, the fact that American sheriffs are elected may well hasten the adoption of more restrictive gun legislation. Nobody wants to get shot and I think sheriffs who decide that citizens' lives are worth less than the rights of predatory gunmen will rapidly find themselves out of work.

You'll see a whole range of self appointed "sovereigns" explaining to police that they don't need a driving licence, car insurance or valid tags (= UK road tax) because, somehow, the law doesn't apply to them. The police response is invariably polite and accommodating until they reach a tipping point when they smash in the driver's window before Tazering the occupants, beating the cr@p out of them and feeding then to police dogs. As well as a badge, American police should wear a crapometer so belligerent citizens can see how much time they've got left before the Tazer comes out.

The best sovereigns are the "active Moors". They wear Tommy Cooper style fez hats as a badge of their religion and they believe that black people were the original inhabitants of America and therefore own all of the land and everything on it.

Regarding rural sheriffs refusing to enforce the law, isn't the same thing happening here? We've already had British police forces stating that they won't attend shop lifting, burglary or drugs incidents. They claim that this is due to a lack of resources rather than political opposition to government policy but the jury's still out on that.

Ironically, the fact that American sheriffs are elected may well hasten the adoption of more restrictive gun legislation. Nobody wants to get shot and I think sheriffs who decide that citizens' lives are worth less than the rights of predatory gunmen will rapidly find themselves out of work.
In some counties you would be correct. In others you would be wrong. It would depend on the political make up of the area.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
The law being ignored by the sheriffs is blatantly unconstitutional.
I prefer their approach to the one used by those who later comlain they were "only following orders".
It's still a law, no matter how much you try and pretend it isn't. Jonesy already beat you to the outraged Nazi schtick btw.

It's still a law, no matter how much you try and pretend it isn't. Jonesy already beat you to the outraged Nazi schtick btw.
It's unconstitutional & therefore negated by that higher law.

Shove the outraged Nazi schtick up your arse.

Let me help you out, I occasionally watch these belters to cheer myself up,I never get tired of the knob at 25.26

Except of course it hasn't been negated has it, my angry little maggot seller?
Ah, the silly name calling comes out. You must be channelling Bagl0ck.
No surprise really from an unfit for purpose "moderator".
Piss off & find a subject of which you're not utterly ignorant as to the facts.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Ah, the silly name calling comes out. You must be channelling Bagl0ck.
No surprise really from an unfit for purpose "moderator".
Piss off & find a subject of which you're not utterly ignorant as to the facts.
Channeling baglock says the button frenzy machine *snigger*

The law being ignored by the sheriffs is blatantly unconstitutional.
You do realize that would create quite the spike in violence?
There may well be a spike in violence, but it only by a criminal element that hold themselves above laws enacted by a democratically elected legislature. As for the sheriffs refuse to enforce the law, what can be said Most have made a show of placing their left hand on Holy Scripture and raising the right hand to God all mighty while taking an oath to enforce the law. Liars, Blasphemers and Hypocrites.

There may well be a spike in violence, but it only by a criminal element that hold themselves above laws enacted by a democratically elected legislature. As for the sheriffs refuse to enforce the law, what can be said Most have made a show of placing their left hand on Holy Scripture and raising the right hand to God all mighty while taking an oath to enforce the law. Liars, Blasphemers and Hypocrites.
You also don't understand US Law.
The Constitution IS the Law & it overrides any & all local or state laws..