Mass Shootings in the US

Simple answer then, replace said Sheriffs, also I guess it is ok to speed, drink drive etc etc there if you don't like those laws.
A Sheriff is an elected official. They are abiding by the will of the folks who voted them into office. In the battle of rural vs urban, rural will win.

You do realize that would create quite the spike in violence?
It appears the Americans also do policing by consent. It's just that they interpret it as any laws they don't consent to, they can just ignore.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
They don’t want to die, enforcing legislation they don’t agree with.
Perhaps they should quit then, if they can't do the job, they were elected to. Or does that require a different set of principles from the ones that let them pick and choose what they enforce?

Perhaps they should quit then, if they can't do the job, they were elected to. Or does that require a different set of principles from the ones that let them pick and choose what they enforce?
Or maybe they feel they are doing the job they were elected to uphold.

Protecting the people from tyranny of the masses.

Many ways to interpret weather a law is just or unjust. Going door to door to enforce one, seems a bit like Nazism to me.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Or maybe they feel they are doing the job they were elected to uphold.

Protecting the people from tyranny of the masses.

Many ways to interpret weather a law is just or unjust. Going door to door to enforce one, seems a bit like Nazism to me.
Really Nazism? Oh dearie me. Please show me the bit in the job description that states they can pick and choose what they can enforce and while you are there which bit covers tyranny protection.

Last edited:
Not what Helm asked. Those are examples of states passing laws that contradict federal laws which will make for an amusing scuffle between lawyers.

The point is, what gives a sheriff the right to ignore certain laws that they disagree with? The Washington laws (having just had a quick look) were passed within the state and certain sheriffs have publicly said they won't enforce them. Surely that makes a mockery of the law?

I look forward to American citizens trying that approach. "Why yes sheriff, I was doing 120mph through a residential area while off my face on a variety of drugs but I believe that to arrest me would be tyranny. I think those laws are unfair and against my rights. Piss off"