Mass Shootings in the US

It might have something to do with trying to enforce laws on a heavily armed population that have been taught to fear government and authority?

Taught?? Try first hand experience.
I am not willing to place my families safety, and my own solely in the hands of law enforcement. A little over two years ago there was a multiple shooting very near my home. I managed to arrive at my house to let my dogs out, not 10 minutes after the event. Besides being treated like a nuisance when I asked for a BOLO, I observed three separate Sheriffs deputies cruising all over the neighborhood looking for the suspect. They all must have been DAT’s in a previous life because they definitely followed the “Death before Dismount” mindset.

Now in order to find a suspect who is hiding out in a neighborhood, you are going to have to exit your vehicle and search on foot. There are to many places to hole up and avoid detection from passing vehicles.
Since LE was unwilling to do this, I had to clear my backward with a Springfield 1911 and a faithful hound because I was not willing to place the security of my home In the hands of the professionals who were not willing to the job properly.

So you don't like the us vs them mindset that some forces seem to display I gather? I think it is a combination of the mentality and equipment that they can get which just reinforces the need to use it or lose it.
The problem seems to come with an attitude where the police see themselves as an army of occupation rather than as part of the surrounding society. There seems to be a whole vocabulary that goes along with that attitude - "law enforcement" instead of "police" with an emphasis on the "force", referring to non-police as being "civilians" to further set themselves apart from society and lend a pseudo-military air to themselves, talking about a "war on crime" as if society was in a state of insurrection, etc.

The other side is where you see middle class average American people seriously advising friends to avoid talking with the police, or what precautions they need to take to avoid getting shot for no good reason when pulled over for a traffic stop, etc.

I've not had any direct dealings with American police myself so I'm not sure how prevalent the problem is.

The problem seems to come with an attitude where the police see themselves as an army of occupation rather than as part of the surrounding society. There seems to be a whole vocabulary that goes along with that attitude - "law enforcement" instead of "police" with an emphasis on the "force", referring to non-police as being "civilians" to further set themselves apart from society and lend a pseudo-military air to themselves, talking about a "war on crime" as if society was in a state of insurrection, etc.

The other side is where you see middle class average American people seriously advising friends to avoid talking with the police, or what precautions they need to take to avoid getting shot for no good reason when pulled over for a traffic stop, etc.

I've not had any direct dealings with American police myself so I'm not sure how prevalent the problem is.
Most people in LE here that I interact with are professionals and are pretty down to earth folk. But I also interact with many on a professional basis or know some of them personally. I have had a few go rounds with a few folks for various reasons.

The worst I was treated was in NC. They definitely had the us vs them mindset. I was as foreign to them as I am to you, and I was not feeling the love from them or for them.

I was reading a thread about gun control elsewhere and it was suggested that with increased restrictions US gangs will resort to making auto weapons as they do in Brazil. I actually don't agree but thought the situation in Brazil was super interesting, check out this stuff:
Brazil | Impro Guns

So they got them right in the middle of the IRA's Border Campaign and in a period where Belfast was experiencing fairly regular and severe riots?
Tch, details. He's Irish, dontcherknow, and therefore immune to fact checking. Like Bugsy.

I was reading a thread about gun control elsewhere and it was suggested that with increased restrictions US gangs will resort to making auto weapons as they do in Brazil. I actually don't agree but thought the situation in Brazil was super interesting, check out this stuff:
Brazil | Impro Guns
That's absolutely fascinating. But I suspect the potential bottleneck would be ammunition provision, if that were further regulated alongside guns. Paging @HE117?

That's absolutely fascinating. But I suspect the potential bottleneck would be ammunition provision, if that were further regulated alongside guns. Paging @HE117?
Most gun crime in the US is linked to the drugs trade. If the gangs run short of ammunition they will just bring in what they need alongside the drugs.

Most gun crime in the US is linked to the drugs trade. If the gangs run short of ammunition they will just bring in what they need alongside the drugs.
What?!

Crimianslka will do criminal stuff and not obey the law?

UNPOSSIBLE!!!

Look at Britain, all handguns are banned, except for Criminal users.

Oh, there you go with them bothersome facts! Don't expect a logical response based on his previous form on this thread.

Uh no, they were TOLD to get rid of them along with the B Specials as they were acting like an occupying force complete with armoured vehicles.

Who'd have thunk it, Paramilitary Police acting like army of occupation since the end of WWII pisses off the public.

Makes sense, but every kg of ammo moved is one kg of shït they can't carry. Plus regulating ammo would still affect potential gun nut spree killers.

Uh no, they were TOLD to get rid of them along with the B Specials as they were acting like an occupying force complete with armoured vehicles.

Who'd have thunk it, Paramilitary Police acting like army of occupation since the end of WWII pisses off the public.
Why they got rid of them is not germane to the original discussion, which was about why they had them before the '69 Troubles

Makes sense, but every kg of ammo moved is one kg of shït they can't carry. Plus regulating ammo would still affect potential gun nut spree killers.
We not really talking about a kg here or there, the US drugs numbers are mind blowing. In 2016 the CBP seized almost 1,000 tons of narcotics being smuggled into the US. No-one knows for sure what percentage of the total being smuggled that is, but the most optimistic estimate I have seen is 20%. Sending in a few hundred tons of ammunition each year won't be that hard for them.

Might still have an effect on spree shooters (at some point in the future when the stockpiles of ammunition many people keep have all run out) but previous incidents have shown that spree shooters are happy to buy illegally when they can't get what they want legally. The Columbine murderers (a 17 and an 18 year old still at school) were able to buy a type of firearm that had been banned in the US for 5 years through an acquaintance from their part time job.

Clearly you have yet to see the pensioners pick over the ammo deliveries, at the stores in town. Some of those old boys have 30,000 plus in their basement.

Hell in the dark days after Sandy Hook, or for any potential ban scenario money will be made. A loaded PMAG with just green tips were going for 50 bucks plus. That is quite the profit margin, if one is willing to pay you will get what you need.

Clearly you have yet to see the pensioners pick over the ammo deliveries, at the stores in town. Some of those old boys have 30,000 plus in their basement.

Hell in the dark days after Sandy Hook, or for any potential ban scenario money will be made. A loaded PMAG with just green tips were going for 50 bucks plus. That is quite the profit margin, if one is willing to pay you will get what you need.
That's just scary...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We not really talking about a kg here or there, the US drugs numbers are mind blowing. In 2016 the CBP seized almost 1,000 tons of narcotics being smuggled into the US. No-one knows for sure what percentage of the total being smuggled that is, but the most optimistic estimate I have seen is 20%. Sending in a few hundred tons of ammunition each year won't be that hard for them.
The rule of thumb is around 10 to 15%.

Once upon a time they used to call themselves Peace Officers.

But being a LEO in the U.S. is such a stressful and crappy job.