Mass Shootings in the US

So if you're a Democrat, you vote for whichever Republican (or vice- versa) candidate you think will be less popular with his one voters in the hope they stay home if he gets in as candidate?
Sounds daft.
That's because it is daft. Quite a few States have it for Presidential primaries as well.

Less than a £100 for a five year shotgun license and you dont have to own your house , second hand gun safes from £40 and second hand O/U shotguns from £100 , there are hundreds of clay grounds around the UK, not an expensive or difficult sport to get in to.
Pretty much spot on.

I live in East Hants and its like being in downtown Raqqa here at weekends with all the gunfire. Twice as much when the Army are blatting away on Longmoor Ranges and the daily wokka wokka flights are hovering around.

None of the participants seem to be upper crust types. More rural chavs with battered seventh hand Range Rovers and pick-up trucks.

So I guess the entry cost isn’t massive nor the T&Cs/legal compliance too difficult.

That's because it is daft. Quite a few States have it for Presidential primaries as well.
You don't think a system intended to produce more centrist candidates with cross-party appeal might be better than one which results in an evermore partisan shift towards the radical wings of the respective parties?

Because then you have to gerrymander your way into an electoral majority, and hope that the permanently disenfranchised acquiesce to that...

Last edited:
To quote the article:

"Cutler (President of Gun Owners of Vermont) minces no words when he talks about gun-control advocates. He recently was accused of threatening an anti-gun politician by saying he wanted to "eliminate" her.
"What I wanted to do was eliminate her legislatively," he says. "We have eliminated legislatively, electorally, lots of candidates over the course of 20 years."
Now he wants to (electorally) get rid of Mr Scott.
"He's blue collar. He's one of us. I thought he was good for his word," Cutler says. "We had nothing bad to say about him. And now we have nothing good to say about him.""

Sounds like a gun lobby to me.
Sounds like upset voters who got hosed by a politician whom they trusted not to feck them over. Will see how long these laws stay on the book for.

Sounds like upset voters who got hosed by a politician whom they trusted not to feck them over. Will see how long these laws stay on the book for.
Vermont voters have a choice between him and an anti-gun Democrat. I'd say another two years at least.

You don't think a system intended to produce more centrist candidates with cross-party appeal might be better than one which results in an evermore partisan shift towards the radical wings of the respective parties?

Because then you have to gerrymander your way into an electoral majority, and hope that the permanently disenfranchised acquiesce to that...
If that was what it did I would agree. Given recent events in the US it doesn't seem to be doing that though.

Vermont voters have a choice between him and an anti-gun Democrat. I'd say another two years at least.
Personally this where I would just practice civil disobedience and extend the middle finger to the law. The high magazine ban is stupid, and unenforceable. As much as I dislike bump stocks , being ordered to surrender it without any compensation is a no go either. Vermont certainly did raise the alarm, and provide more fuel to the pro 2A crowd. All in all I don’t see LE being to eager to enforce these laws, it ain’t worth the potential fight with your fellow citizens.

Personally this where I would just practice civil disobedience and extend the middle finger to the law. The high magazine ban is stupid, and unenforceable. As much as I dislike bump stocks , being ordered to surrender it without any compensation is a no go either. Vermont certainly did raise the alarm, and provide more fuel to the pro 2A crowd. All in all I don’t see LE being to eager to enforce these laws, it ain’t worth the potential fight with your fellow citizens.
I've only ever had one encounter with American police and that was asking for directions to the subway in New York. However, I do believe they err on the side of caution when dealing with armed opponents. Your rifle will be no use Jonesey. If you hear a rumbling noise outside your house and the sound of parked cars being crushed, just walk out the front door with your hands in the air.

The governor is a seasoned politician. His decision will have had less to do with what is right and more to do with what is likely to get him re-elected. He will have calculated that gun control legislation will gain him more votes than it will lose. That will be why he turned the signing of the legislation into a publicity stunt, not to annoy his supporters in the hunting, shooting and fishing fraternity.

Of course, the elephant in the thread is the governor's Democrat opponent. Christine Hallquist is a well qualified, high achieving former CEO with a stable marital relationship and a number of adult children. That's irrelevant though as she is also a tranny who used to be called "Dave" and who looks as feminine as the cowboy off the Marlborough cigarette ads, no doubt despite the best efforts of an army of stylists.

In choosing Christine as their candidate, the Democrats have sacrificed political expediency in favour of social justice. I really can't see the good ol' boys who favour shooting their own dinner voting for Christine and the fact that the poor sod has been receiving death threats does not bode well for her political career.

Governor Scott would win November's election even if he was found to have dual US/Mexican citizenship. In passing gun control legislation, I suspect he's hoping to hoover up some support from the centre left of the Democrat party.

I've only ever had one encounter with American police and that was asking for directions to the subway in New York. However, I do believe they err on the side of caution when dealing with armed opponents. Your rifle will be no use Jonesey. If you hear a rumbling noise outside your house and the sound of parked cars being crushed, just walk out the front door with your hands in the air.

I just see a massive waste of taxpayer dollars.......

Jonesy, talking of mass shootings, how did the shoot out in Crimea get treated in the American media?

Had to google it.

Hate to break it to you folks, but American conservatives don't care if a bunch of foreigners shoot themselves up. Not our business not our issue.

American Liberals don't care because if the issue does not help advance their cause here, no fecks are given. Let's be honest they don't care as much about you foreign devils as you think they do.

American Liberals don't care because if the issue does not help advance their cause here, no fecks are given. Let's be honest they don't care as much about you foreign devils as you think they do.
Crimea now belongs to the Russians so nowt to do with EU. It's just that "conventional wisdom" dictates that such shootings can only happen where firearms laws are lax. Definitely not so in that neck of the woods, which could be one reason why American liberals are not interested as that event hardly supports their theories.
As for the EU it was briefly reported on German TV but only the bare facts and without further comment. Almost a a case of being a non event, the same thing happening anywhere in the States would of course be big news, because armed Americans are bad.

Crimea now belongs to the Russians so nowt to do with EU. It's just that "conventional wisdom" dictates that such shootings can only happen where firearms laws are lax. Definitely not so in that neck of the woods, which could be one reason why American liberals are not interested as that event hardly supports their theories.
As for the EU it was briefly reported on German TV but only the bare facts and without further comment. Almost a a case of being a non event, the same thing happening anywhere in the States would of course be big news, because armed Americans are bad.
Yup and the Germans don't care about the goings on in Russia, because they are Foreign Devils!! If this shooting were to advance the American left's agenda it would be plastered all over the news. But since it is just Russians whacking Russians nobody cares.

the Germans don't care about the goings on in Russia,
Error, you missed by miles. The subject of Putin, freedom of the press, etc in Russia is almost constantly in the media here. There are 10s of thousands of Russian/Germans living here, who have an interest in what's going on in Russia, add to that the gas* supplies to Germany from Russia and the former Chancellor Schröders involvement in Gazprom** and it can be seen that there is good reason for interest in Russia. Not forgetting the military aggression that Russia is practicing, and were not that far from their border.

* That's gas, not gasoline.
** Gazprom is the Russian state oil and gas company.

Error, you missed by miles. The subject of Putin, freedom of the press, etc in Russia is almost constantly in the media here. There are 10s of thousands of Russian/Germans living here, who have an interest in what's going on in Russia, add to that the gas* supplies to Germany from Russia and the former Chancellor Schröders involvement in Gazprom** and it can be seen that there is good reason for interest in Russia. Not forgetting the military aggression that Russia is practicing, and were not that far from their border.

* That's gas, not gasoline.
** Gazprom is the Russian state oil and gas company.

Interesting, but Germany seems to have drastically changed since the end of the first Cold War. On the bright side Merkel did agree to start buying natural gas from the States.

Do you know if the poster Mercurydancer is a kraut just by chance?

ugly

LE
None of the participants seem to be upper crust types. More rural chavs with battered seventh hand Range Rovers and pick-up trucks.
You haven't been close enough to find out if any of them have cut glass accents?
In our shoot the newest cars are driven by the beaters who are usually retired professionals. The guns are a mix of farmers (lots of land and bugger all cash) a brewer (drives a 15 year old A3 with 300 000 miles on the clock, a bank IT manager (admittedly a nice if old series 3 disco) a chimney sweep (land cruiser very battered old model) we used to have an Italian chap who owned lots of restaurants but he has since retired to spend time with his cash. He did have a new evoque which was ridiculed for a whole season.