Mass Shootings in the US

I wouldn't mind getting one here in the UK but it does cost a bit plus I don't own a house for a gun safe. Just a bit of faff I'd rather not bother with while I am here.
Well own way to keep the interest low is to make it prohibitively expensive and a pain in the ass to participate in.

I wouldn't mind getting one here in the UK but it does cost a bit plus I don't own a house for a gun safe. Just a bit of faff I'd rather not bother with while I am here.
Less than a £100 for a five year shotgun license and you dont have to own your house , second hand gun safes from £40 and second hand O/U shotguns from £100 , there are hundreds of clay grounds around the UK, not an expensive or difficult sport to get in to.

Last edited:
Less than a £100 for a five year shotgun license and you dont have to own your house , second hand gun safes from £40 and second hand O/U shotguns from £100 , there are hundreds of clay grounds around the UK, not an expensive or difficult sport to get in to.
Thanks. I thought you needed a house to get a gun safe affixed to. The whole thing seems cheaper than getting a motorcycle license here in the UK - another one I would like to but the economics/ cost/logistics/ insurance was a bit too much. I think as an outsider to the UK, the lack of free(er) availability of guns, the class perception etc. just gives an impression that shooting is an expensive hobby for the toffs and well offs.

Thanks. I thought you needed a house to get a gun safe affixed to. The whole thing seems cheaper than getting a motorcycle license here in the UK - another one I would like to but the economics/ cost/logistics/ insurance was a bit too much. I think as an outsider to the UK, the lack of free(er) availability of guns, the class perception etc. just gives an impression that shooting is an expensive hobby for the toffs and well offs.
There's nothing like the first time you buy a gun in the parking lot of a gun show out of the boot of a car.

Sent from my Lenovo TB2-X30F using Tapatalk

The Republican who changed his mind over guns

A very interesting (if lengthy) article illustrating why so many US politicians are so reluctant to legislate against the wishes of the gun lobby.

For those firmly in the 'BBC are Pinko biased Libtards' camp, I suggest you read the article first and draw your own conclusions.

Last edited:
The Republican who changed his mind over guns

A very interesting (if lengthy) article illustrating why so many US politicians are so reluctant to legislate against the wishes of the gun lobby.

For those firmly in the 'BBC are Pinko biased Libtards' camp, I suggest you read the article first and draw your own conclusions.
People are angry at him because he is justifying the new laws using a kid that was planning to attack his former school with a shotgun. But none of the new laws would actually have prevented him from buying that shotgun, most of them are aimed at rifle and pistol owners. It's like applying new restrictions on owning cars and motorbikes because of an incident involving a tractor.

I don't see the involvement of a 'gun lobby' in this case. The people who voted for him don't want to vote for him any more because he is doing something he said he wouldn't do.

People are angry at him because he is justifying the new laws using a kid that was planning to attack his former school with a shotgun. But none of the new laws would actually have prevented him from buying that shotgun, most of them are aimed at rifle and pistol owners. It's like applying new restrictions on owning cars and motorbikes because of an incident involving a tractor.

I don't see the involvement of a 'gun lobby' in this case. The people who voted for him don't want to vote for him any more because he is doing something he said he wouldn't do.
To quote the article:

"Cutler (President of Gun Owners of Vermont) minces no words when he talks about gun-control advocates. He recently was accused of threatening an anti-gun politician by saying he wanted to "eliminate" her.
"What I wanted to do was eliminate her legislatively," he says. "We have eliminated legislatively, electorally, lots of candidates over the course of 20 years."
Now he wants to (electorally) get rid of Mr Scott.
"He's blue collar. He's one of us. I thought he was good for his word," Cutler says. "We had nothing bad to say about him. And now we have nothing good to say about him.""

Sounds like a gun lobby to me.

To quote the article:

"Cutler (President of Gun Owners of Vermont) minces no words when he talks about gun-control advocates. He recently was accused of threatening an anti-gun politician by saying he wanted to "eliminate" her.
"What I wanted to do was eliminate her legislatively," he says. "We have eliminated legislatively, electorally, lots of candidates over the course of 20 years."
Now he wants to (electorally) get rid of Mr Scott.
"He's blue collar. He's one of us. I thought he was good for his word," Cutler says. "We had nothing bad to say about him. And now we have nothing good to say about him.""

Sounds like a gun lobby to me.
When your approval rating drops from 44% to 5% almost overnight that sounds like you have upset your electorate to me. The gun owners associations are part of that electorate.

When your approval rating drops from 44% to 5% almost overnight that sounds like you have upset your electorate to me. The gun owners associations are part of that electorate.
And yet he still won 65% of the Republican Primary vote (admittedly dropping a big chunk of the 37,000 votes cast to an insurgent pro-gun candidate). Does Vermont have primaries open to all voters or just registered Republican/Democrats? Honest question, I know it varies.

ETA A slightly old quote from the Burlington Free Press, based in Vermont:

"From the July 27 Morning Consult polling report: Scott's "approval among Vermonters fell 18 points to 47 percent while his disapproval doubled to 42 percent."

Scott's approval rating put him fourth among governors nationwide in the first-quarter poll released April 12. The second quarter poll, Morning Consult reports, "place him three spots from the bottom 10."

In the second quarter, 41 percent of Republicans said they approved of Scott's job performance, down from 67 percent in the first quarter. For independents, approval dropped to 19 percent, from 61 percent.

Meanwhile, 61 percent of Democrats said they approved of Scott's job performance."

Last edited:
And yet he still won 65% of the Republican Primary vote (admittedly dropping a big chunk of the 37,000 votes cast to an insurgent pro-gun candidate). Does Vermont have primaries open to all voters or just Republicans?

ETA A quote from the Burlington Free Press, based in Vermont:

"From the July 27 Morning Consult polling report: Scott's "approval among Vermonters fell 18 points to 47 percent while his disapproval doubled to 42 percent."

Scott's approval rating put him fourth among governors nationwide in the first-quarter poll released April 12. The second quarter poll, Morning Consult reports, "place him three spots from the bottom 10."

In the second quarter, 41 percent of Republicans said they approved of Scott's job performance, down from 67 percent in the first quarter. For independents, approval dropped to 19 percent, from 61 percent.

Meanwhile, 61 percent of Democrats said they approved of Scott's job performance."
Vermont has open primaries, anyone can vote in them.

I didn't know that, and I am a Yank. But again, why should I know that? Don't live there and am not interested (much) in primaries and crap like that.

All I know about VT is it has good maple syrup (though I still buy Canadian) and good ski resorts.

I didn't know that, and I am a Yank. But again, why should I know that? Don't live there and am not interested (much) in primaries and crap like that.

All I know about VT is it has good maple syrup (though I still buy Canadian) and good ski resorts.
Out of interest, as a US expatriate, what elections are you eligible to vote in?

Or does 'No Taxation Without Representation' only work one way across the Atlantic?

So if you're a Democrat, you vote for whichever Republican (or vice- versa) candidate you think will be less popular with his one voters in the hope they stay home if he gets in as candidate?
Sounds daft.