Mass Shootings in the US

Then you can’t tell me how graphic the new systems are compared to the Nintendo we started out with.
What? Are you really that stupid? I'm perfectly placed to tell you how different things are, given that I've played on consoles from the Atari VCS through the PS4, the original arcade machines (yes, including pong), and PC gaming from the original soundblaster CGA/EGA/VGA gaming through to Nvidia 1050 generation.

I think I know more about this than you do.

Edit to add: and there's nothing I like more than shooting friends and ex-colleagues in the face, in the digital world. I feel no need to do this in the real world, despite the amount of time logged.

What? Are you really that stupid? I'm perfectly placed to tell you how different things are, given that I've played on consoles from the Atari VCS through the PS4, the original arcade machines (yes, including pong), and PC gaming from the original soundblaster CGA/EGA/VGA gaming through to Nvidia 1050 generation.

I think I know more about this than you do.
My point is that the things displayed in video games these days are far more graphic, then the Old School Duck Hunter.

Granted you are more a nerd than I am.

My point is that the things displayed in video games these days are far more graphic, then the Old School Duck Hunter.

Granted you are more a nerd than I am.
Yes they are (and yes, I am). But video games are not the cause of the problem here, they are used as such by brain-dead idiots who would rather ban someone else's hobby then address the fact that their hobby might need some new rules.

DaManBugs

LE
Book Reviewer
Yes they are (and yes, I am). But video games are not the cause of the problem here, they are used as such by brain-dead idiots who would rather ban someone else's hobby then address the fact that their hobby might need some new rules.
I agree with that. In my view, all those video games are just a further (technical) development of the old "Cowboys and Indians", "Knights of the Round Kitchen Table" or "Sowjazz" games we used to play back when there were no computers. You regularly shot your mates to death with a handily shaped tree branch in .303 British, imaginary bows and arrows, or cut them to pieces with a wooden sword, but you never felt the need to do it in real life (with certain exceptions, of course).

MsG

Guns

ADC
Book Reviewer
You do realize that viewing the 2nd Amendment as a hobby is a very British way of thinking? To some of us over here it is ingrained in our DNA and it is a right.

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
You have to admire the American method of problem solving. Person with gun(s) shoots people. Person with gun may have mental illness.
Do they make treatment more accessible and easier to get?
Do they ban access to guns and ammunition?
Do they even record or register the buying of guns?

They advise arming more people and announce that there may be too many doors in schools.

You have to admire the American method of problem solving. Person with gun(s) shoots people. Person with gun may have mental illness.
Do they make treatment more accessible and easier to get?
Do they ban access to guns and ammunition?
Do they even record or register the buying of guns?

They advise arming more people and announce that there may be too many doors in schools.
If only those a$$holes followed the rules like everyone else. They check your drivers license through a database at the schools now. Kinda neat really.

Not squeamish, but it’s an incorrect statement that plays to the emotive. You might as well run around wailing. Here you are conflating shoot and kill, presuming that to shoot is to kill.
If you want to complain about firearms, it would make more sense to complain about the greater facility they bring to killing rather than imagining that the entire industry and user base are plotting to kill people. But then you’d also have to consider why there are people who think that going out and shooting lots of people is a good idea.
Well that’s the wider issue that we have just spent some 310 pages debating.

But to be specific what is illogical about the statement that guns are designed to kill.

They check your licence to go to school? What age do kids start driving?
When you go visit a school out here, you have to register as a visitor at the front desk etc. The schools now have a program that will run your license through a wants and warrants database to make sure you are not a criminal shitbag etc. Even if you are just picking up your own child. Security is being upgraded, and I am frequently challenged (politely) by a teacher when I am walking to a classroom looking for my child.

You can get a permit at 15 to learn how to drive.
An intermediate license at 16, and then full privileges at 17.

Well that’s the wider issue that we have just spent some 310 pages debating.
Indeed. With some demanding that guns are inherently evil and must all be destroyed.

But to be specific what is illogical about the statement that guns are designed to kill.
Many aren’t, despite being capable.

Furthermore, the concept is an emotive one, designed to avoid rational discourse.

Then you can’t tell me how graphic the new systems are compared to the Nintendo we started out with.
And before computer games it was rap music. Before rap music it was video nasties. Before video nasties it was Rock and Roll, etc, etc etc.

It's almost like it's total balls to blame whatever the frowned upon media of the day is for all of the bad behaviour it's blamed for...

You do realize that viewing the 2nd Amendment as a hobby is a very British way of thinking? To some of us over here it is ingrained in our DNA and it is a right.
It's not in your DNA whatsoever and shooting is very much a hobby unless you're being paid to do it or doing it to protect yourself/someone else.