Mass Shootings in the US

View attachment 335403

These bloody things right? Just gotta be sure we are on the same page. Inanimate objects being evil things and all. I bet however they won't have moved from that gun rack in the garage, and slotted a class full of kindergartners....
Doesn't look very secure to me. Not even trigger locks. Just there for the taking by the child that owns the little sand bucket hanging down on the right. Off course if the Day of the Walking Dead happens you can snap'em off the rack and into action.

I use to use an FN mag. for opening a bottle of beer. Does that count as something besides shooting

A simple question with a complex answer. The answer will depend on how you judge design intent. Certainly in the U.K., most guns are designed for target or clay shooting. A smaller proportion will be for hunting purposes, i.e. killing animals, though some target rifles will derive from hunting or military designs and some hunting weapons will derive from target guns.
Does a heavily accurized and tricked-out for long range target shooting armalite count as a target gun or a military gun? Where does an M1A fit?
The design intent doesn’t actually change the lethality.

I wasn’t addressing illegally held guns. Although it wouldn’t really change the answer too much if you were to include illegally held guns. The point was that only a very small proportion of firearms are ever used to kill people, just like only a small proportion of kitchen knives, or screwdrivers, are used to kill people.
You are talking about the uk though where as I understand it access to semi auto military style weopons is severely restricted. Also as I understand hand guns are not able to the public. In the USA it's very different, and I suspect the number of weopons designed for military and hunting purposes will dwarf ones specifically designed for target shooting. But as you said pretty much will all kill.

No, just stop selling the bloody things, natural selection will weed out the weak and dysfunctional, and in time like horse drawn public transport, it will fade away, and in maybe a 100 years hence, no more school children gunned down. As for tossers, one down from ******, a mild description of displeasure,...... F***it, you figure it out!
That didn't work with alcohol, it isn't working with heroin, cocaine, fentanyl or marijuana. Why do you think it is likely to work with firearms?

At best all you are going to succeed in doing is taking guns away from the people who aren't anything wrong with them.

Oh you mean there. And yes you have me there that in that case a gun would have been a very useful. A gun that is designed to kill.
Kill? Or defend? You would rather have at the Mountain lion with a knife smaller than 4”?

Let's just be honest. Gun owners in America are perfectly fine with the status quo. Any suggestion that rules can be tightened or improved are immediately seen as "taking guns away from us so the government can take all of our rights away"

I'm rapidly reaching the point of "f*ck it, stop trying to reason with them, let them just shoot it out on the streets and whoever gets killed, tough shit"
Other than Banning categories of rifles that frighten the weak minded not a single law proposed about "Tightening" or "Common Sense" gun laws would have stopped these shootings. They are knee jerk cowardly reactions by politicians to spineless to discuss the REAL reforms that might stop these killings.

I do guard my US Constitutional Rights very jealously

My right to Arms, free speech, to worship (or not) any diety I choose.

Ask the Nisei about US Government taking away their rights

C'mon, Odd_Job! Even your very limited intelligence should tell you that that's a non-starter as an argument. In all those countries you mentioned, kids are not getting shot and killed indiscriminately on a depressingly regular basis while they're at school. Their parents, unlike parents in the US, don't particularly have to worry it they'll ever see their kids alive again when they send them off to school every morning.

MsG
Analysis | No, there haven’t been 18 school shootings in 2018. That number is flat wrong.

Clearly you know jackshite about Mexico

Three Mexican film students were killed, their bodies dissolved in acid, authorities say

2014 Iguala mass kidnapping - Wikipedia

Drug violence blamed for Mexico's record 29,168 murders in 2017

80K Murders since 2006 by organized crime in Mexico

You are talking about the uk though where as I understand it access to semi auto military style weopons is severely restricted. Also as I understand hand guns are not able to the public. In the USA it's very different, and I suspect the number of weopons designed for military and hunting purposes will dwarf ones specifically designed for target shooting. But as you said pretty much will all kill.
I’m bouncing between locations.
The Armalite and the M1A are derived from military designs, but the former is often built as a dedicated target rifle and the latter is even more commonly a target rifle. Are these designed for target shooting or for killing?

Pretty much all knives will kill as well. Guns are undoubtedly better at it, but using emotive phrases such as “designed to kill” is inaccurate, inflammatory and offers no role in furthering the debate.

Two questions.
1. Who or what is Milwall?
2. Just who is it who commits mass murder in Britain?
Milwall Football Club is a gentlemens' sporting association. Followers of the club, based in the east of London are known for their egregious exuberance that has been compared to the egregious exuberance of the Luftwaffe in the east of London during the Blitz.

Last mass murder in Britain was the Manchester concert bombing a year ago. IIRC the last mass murder with a gun involved Derrick Bird in 2010.

DaManBugs

LE
Book Reviewer
I’m bouncing between locations.
The Armalite and the M1A are derived from military designs, but the former is often built as a dedicated target rifle and the latter is even more commonly a target rifle. Are these designed for target shooting or for killing?

Pretty much all knives will kill as well. Guns are undoubtedly better at it, but using emotive phrases such as “designed to kill” is inaccurate, inflammatory and offers no role in furthering the debate.
I don't believe the term "designed to kill" is that inaccurate. From the very beginings of the development of firearms, their primary purpose was seen in their ability to kill or injure "opponents" at a greater distance. The same can't be said for knives, which were specifically developed primarily as helpful tools.

MsG

I can see this bit of useful info being quoted by our cousins over the water, as gospel, Love your sense of humour,... now sit back and watch the sparks fly.
Actually when it comes to the 2nd the only folks who will quote you are the Liberals who want to be like you. Everybody else just takes your "gospel" with a grain of salt or just flat out ignore you.

Gun Homicide Rate Down 49% Since 1993 Peak; Public Unaware

Gun Homicide Rate Down 49% Since 1993 Peak; Public Unaware

Apparently 3 snowflakes dont like hearing your post
Or perhaps they're just unwilling to believe everything they are told. The data you cite is eight years out of date. The graphs you link to finish in 2010.

That conveniently ignores recent dramatic increases in the gun homicide rate. For example, the FBI states that there was a 32% increase in the number of murders using guns in the two years between 2014 and 2016.

As I said to Oddbod, must do better.