Mass Shootings in the US

C'mon, Odd_Job! Even your very limited intelligence should tell you that that's a non-starter as an argument. In all those countries you mentioned, kids are not getting shot and killed indiscriminately on a depressingly regular basis while they're at school. Their parents, unlike parents in the US, don't particularly have to worry it they'll ever see their kids alive again when they send them off to school every morning.

MsG
Really?

Go read the news you serial fibber & spreader of bovine effluvia.

Me? Thin skinned? Definitely not me. I have been in many conflict situations so I know how they work. Most of them not in the military.

I use tools regularly, some nasty ones too, like my work hatchet. My wood carving knives, etc. Useful for wood carving. I could given the need, use it for self defence but a curved hollowing knife is really not going to do much damage to anyone.
A firearm,however, has one point. To shoot things. A revolver is not that much use with wood carving.

Furthermore, you missed the point. Some people know stressful and conflict situations. Lil miss schoolteacher of Primrose primary who is scared of bees and is an NRA member may not be the most reliable person to have a firearm in a conflict situation.
Not you, the mass shooters these days. These folks seem to implode, or hold things in to the point where they go on a rampage. Kids used to beat the shit out of each other in a one on one fashion, and then things were settled. That is not allowed anymore, which I think is one of the reasons why we have the mass shootings. Going behind the Albertson's parking lot and inflicting pain upon each other, was the method to resolve conflict.

People can be trained is the point. Nobody starts out as a death dealing machine.

So you're absolutely OK with misrepresentation so long as it's you doing it?

That's a good position to start from when revving up the outrage bus.:roll:

It's not a "rising death toll". It's actually pretty much static, despite the population increase.
Homicides involving firearms are actually at about their lowest since some time in the 1960's.
Almost certainly not true.

Compare homicide rate in the US: link
with homicide by weapon type: link

Irritatingly there isn't one source I can find that shows firearms homicides back to the 1960s but looking at the links above shows a clear spike in the 1980s-90s in homicide and a corresponding spike in firearms homicides (specifically handguns) over the same period.

As a civilian I've shot at thousands of targets over the years, and they were never a substitute for a living thing, there was never a pretend kill. I believe that I can speak on behalf of all the other civvy shooters I know and have known and say that the same applies to them.
Some of us practice with the intent of killing, only the intent is to make sure Mr Bunny or Ms Bambi meet their demise quickly & cleanly, though I very much doubt that's what he had in mind.

I am surprised, no one needs one of those.
But spitfire aircraft are fun to own. No one needs one but I wish I could have one. Equally I would like to own a Lancaster bomber and fly it over Hamburg every so often.

Almost certainly not true.

Compare homicide rate in the US: link
with homicide by weapon type: link

Irritatingly there isn't one source I can find that shows firearms homicides back to the 1960s but looking at the links above shows a clear spike in the 1980s-90s in homicide and a corresponding spike in firearms homicides (specifically handguns) over the same period.
Homicide rates & homicide numbers are two different things.
Make sure you know which is being used, as the antis are very clever at switching between the two when they hope nobody is looking.

Same goes for their definition of a "school shooting", which includes gang members shooting each other in a parking lot 800' from a school at 02:00...

Not you, the mass shooters these days. These folks seem to implode, or hold things in to the point where they go on a rampage. Kids used to beat the shit out of each other in a one on one fashion, and then things were settled. That is not allowed anymore, which I think is one of the reasons why we have the mass shootings. Going behind the Albertson's parking lot and inflicting pain upon each other, was the method to resolve conflict.

People can be trained is the point. Nobody starts out as a death dealing machine.
OK, so how many homicides have been perpetrated by legally owned guns but not legally owned by the perpetrator?

I still remain concerned about people with firearms who are not that good at using them in a defence scenario.

Some of us practice with the intent of killing, only the intent is to make sure Mr Bunny or Ms Bambi meet their demise quickly & cleanly, though I very much doubt that's what he had in mind.
Actually that is what I had in mind. I am not suggesting that many amateur shooters are doing it to fantasize about killing people. Although I'm sure some do. It's a sport born of a necessity to practice something useful years ago. Aside from any military aspirations. And it doesn't alter the basic fact that guns are designed to kill.

OK, so how many homicides have been perpetrated by legally owned guns but not legally owned by the perpetrator?

I still remain concerned about people with firearms who are not that good at using them in a defence scenario.
I have no clue, that is a one hell of a stasitic to try and find. You generally don’t loan your guns to people unless you really know them and that is for hunting purposes etc. I would loan my brother a pistol but normally he just swaps with me or buys something at a heavily discounted rate.

Actually that is what I had in mind. I am not suggesting that many amateur shooters are doing it to fantasize about killing people. Although I'm sure some do. It's a sport born of a necessity to practice something useful years ago. Aside from any military aspirations. And it doesn't alter the basic fact that guns are designed to kill.
Not entirely true. At the most basic level, guns are designed to launch a projectile, with accuracy, some distance. In many cases this gives them the ability to kill, and many guns are designed to optimise that capacity. At the same time, guns and ammunition that are designed to kill are often optimised to particular targets, rather that the often implied human target.

There are many knives out there that are designed to kill, and have no further utility. I’d struggle to find a legitimate use for a Fairburn Sykes pattern dagger, or a main gauche, or a poinard.

Years ago?? People still use them today for more than just kicks and giggles. How do you think some people manage to eat out here?

So are bows & arrows.
Shooting stuff in the UK is actually more of a necessity now than it was 20 or 30 years ago.
The basic fact is that guns are a necessity for one reason or another & in the US, that can include dealing with predators, both two legged & four.
Did you see yesterday's news where one cyclist was killed & partially eaten & another seriously injured by a cougar?
That's why I (legally) carry a handgun when up in the wilds of NM & CO.
I can only legally open carry, so in the cities, I don't, plus staying away from the wrong places means I'm actually statistically safer than visiting my sister in London.

I have no clue, that is a one hell of a stasitic to try and find. You generally don’t loan your guns to people unless you really know them and that is for hunting purposes etc. I would loan my brother a pistol but normally he just swaps with me or buys something at a heavily discounted rate.
I'm not sure whether he means that scenario, or like with Sandy Hook, where the perpetrator took his mother's guns, or guns stolen from people, or those obtained nefariously.

I'm not sure whether he means that scenario, or like with Sandy Hook, where the perpetrator took his mother's guns, or guns stolen from people, or those obtained nefariously.
Yes but then those are not legally obtained and don't count. Anybody can steal a firearm if they are determined enough, or just buy one from a street vendor of ill reputation.