Mass Shootings in the US

But the ban wasn't passed. From the link you just gave "more than 200 members of Congress wrote to former ATF director Todd Jones expressing “serious concern” that the proposal might violate the Second Amendment". That does sort of show that your governmental systems work?

Also, I'm not sure how you can argue banning ammo is 'weaponising government', especially when the army etc. doesn't use that ammunition (I think most US agencies, army etc. use edit - M855A1 which is a different beast).
When government is used to target certain people's political beliefs that are not in the core values of the opposite party it is. Like the IRS targeting conservatives.

Most people do, but all it takes is one retard to screw it up for everybody else. If some fuckwit shoots a cow or a horse it is game over for everybody else sadly.
That does happen. Once while visiting Maine (a very rural state) I drove past a farm and saw cows with "COW" in hi-vis spray paint on their sides.

While in northern Maine I stepped at a little general store for a loo break and coffee. Several locals were there and were giggling and chuckling. As I got my coffee I asked what was funny. They said take a look out back. The back of the store was a deer tagging station and the warden was writing up two latino men in a pickup truck with New Jersey plates who had a dead goat in the back of the truck. They had tried to comply with the law and had tagged the goats ear.

That’s what I don’t understand. Ask anyone here a
FAC isn’t treated as a right. More of a privilege. It tends to weed the weirdos out.
Not according to Oddbod it's not. Interestingly he hasn't actually explained why rather than bashing the dislike button and disappearing. I notice he still hasn't provided the handgun crime and murder statistics pre- and post-UK ban either.

When government is used to target certain people's political beliefs that are not in the core values of the opposite party it is. Like the IRS targeting conservatives.
And that's the thing I really don't get about the US. Why does absolutely everything have to be a 'them and us' situation? The ATF wanted to ban a lead-based round. Why is that persecuting 'political beliefs'? Surely banning that round would have had an equal impact on all US citizens, not just people that agree with you?

That does happen. Once while visiting Maine (a very rural state) I drove past a farm and saw cows with "COW" in hi-vis spray paint on their sides.

While in northern Maine I stepped at a little general store for a loo break and coffee. Several locals were there and were giggling and chuckling. As I got my coffee I asked what was funny. They said take a look out back. The back of the store was a deer tagging station and the warden was writing up two latino men in a pickup truck with New Jersey plates who had a dead goat in the back of the truck. They had tried to comply with the law and had tagged the goats ear.
This stuff happens every year. Some people are just not ready to be released on their own. Funny but also quite sad.

Not according to Oddbod it's not. Interestingly he hasn't actually explained why rather than bashing the dislike button and disappearing. I notice he still hasn't provided the handgun crime and murder statistics pre- and post-UK ban either.

And that's the thing I really don't get about the US. Why does absolutely everything have to be a 'them and us' situation? The ATF wanted to ban a lead-based round. Why is that persecuting 'political beliefs'? Surely banning that round would have had an equal impact on all US citizens, not just people that agree with you?
Why would Liberals care? They are to busy disarming themselves, they don’t need government help.

Why would Liberals care? They are to busy disarming themselves, they don’t need government help.
My point exactly. Why the need for reference to liberals and conservatives?

If the US bans a certain type of ammunition, that affects everyone in the US. It's not a case that you go into the gun shop and get told 'you can still buy that ammo but only if you can prove you are a member of the communist party'.

My point exactly. Why the need for reference to liberals and conservatives?

If the US bans a certain type of ammunition, that affects everyone in the US. It's not a case that you go into the gun shop and get told 'you can still buy that ammo but only if you can prove you are a member of the communist party'.
Two different belief systems that both sides despise and are in a constant war with each other.

Two different belief systems that both sides despise and are in a constant war with each other.
Last post before I need sleep. I will say that before you came across as a sensible, well-balanced person able to debate their point of view. Now you're edging into 'the guvment gonna take mah guns' territory.

The only person bringing a liberal / conservative split into this was you. Maybe it's just a more UK way of looking at things (we tend to despise all politicians equally) but I don't see why, because the ATF tried to ban a supposedly armour-piercing round, that means 'the liberals' are coming for your guns.

Last post before I need sleep. I will say that before you came across as a sensible, well-balanced person able to debate their point of view. Now you're edging into 'the guvment gonna take mah guns' territory.

The only person bringing a liberal / conservative split into this was you. Maybe it's just a more UK way of looking at things (we tend to despise all politicians equally) but I don't see why, because the ATF tried to ban a supposedly armour-piercing round, that means 'the liberals' are coming for your guns.
You have two different ideas of how the country should be run. When one side gets in power they further their agenda to the best of their abilities. Small actions over the course of time lead to bigger victories.

If you can ban certain things, make them unaffordable or unavailable you still win. If Liberals could take away guns they would.
I have been told this many times by folks of that persuasion. They are pretty convinced it would work.

So everyone in the UK is entitled to own a firearm? It is in fact a right, the same as the right to an education and the right to a fair trial?

It's interesting that for the people I can think of every single one has the right to a fair trial by jury yet only 2 have the 'right' to own firearms.
You mean all except two people you know are disbarred from possessing firearms?
Or do you mean only two have taken up their right to possess them?
Handy hint: Not all Americans own or possess firearms but unless disbarred from doing so (usually by having felony convictions), they have the right to do so.

You mean all except two people you know are disbarred from possessing firearms?
Or do you mean only two have taken up their right to possess them?
Handy hint: Not all Americans own or possess firearms but unless disbarred from doing so (usually by having felony convictions), they have the right to do so.
I mean everyone except two people (who have been judged to be competent) are not allowed to own firearms. I thought that was self evident.
OK, so Joe Bloggs wants to own a firearm. Run me through the necessary steps for him to obtain his 'right' of owning a centrefire rifle. You can assume he has no previous convictions or CRB/DBS issues.

True and I’m sitting here thinking what sort of person, (your description is spot on) would shoot a cow or a horse.

Getting harder to find, although when I asked an old friend for ‘permission’ thinking of starting up again he was delighted. Couldn’t have been happier.
I think he’s got plans.
When I was elk hunting in Colorado back in 2009, some moron shot an outfitter's horse thinking it was an elk. Talking to the CPW officers was enlightening as to some of the dumb things hunters have done.
A mixture of buck fever, impatience & stupidity is why hunters in CO & many other states must wear blaze orange jackets & hats.

You have two different ideas of how the country should be run. When one side gets in power they further their agenda to the best of their abilities. Small actions over the course of time lead to bigger victories.

If you can ban certain things, make them unaffordable or unavailable you still win. If Liberals could take away guns they would.
I have been told this many times by folks of that persuasion. They are pretty convinced it would work.
Really? Do you actually see a liberal/conservative conspiracy behind every bush? It's frankly worrying.

I mean everyone except two people (who have been judged to be competent) are not allowed to own firearms. I thought that was self evident.
OK, so Joe Bloggs wants to own a firearm. Run me through the necessary steps for him to obtain his 'right' of owning a centrefire rifle. You can assume he has no previous convictions or CRB/DBS issues.
WHY have they been prevented from owning firearms?
Have they even applied to do so?

Easiest way is to join a gun club, as this supplies the "good reason" required when applying for an FAC.
Then fill in the form, pay the fee & show you will have adequate security (gun cabinet).

Now you're just being a dick.
As it happens, I had other things to do (I went shooting, with handguns & didn't kill anyone) rather than await any questions here.
As for the statistics; I don't recall you asking for them & if you want them, they're easy to find using Google.

WHY have they been prevented from owning firearms?
Have they even applied to do so?

Easiest way is to join a gun club, as this supplies the "good reason" required when applying for an FAC.
Then fill in the form, pay the fee & show you will have adequate security (gun cabinet).
So to fulfill this 'right' one must pay a fee, join a club, fill in a form and buy a large armoured cabinet.

It doesn't sound much like the 'right' of the Americans where they can walk into a supermarket and walk out with a gun.

In fact, I think it would also require a visit from a police officer to check your storage area and then, judging from news stories, your licence may or may not be approved.