• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Mass Shootings in the US

I wasn't suggesting anyone did say it would deter 100% of attacks. But the drumbeat from the pro gun lobby seems to be the answer to school shootings is arming teachers, as if that is the only answer. It's as if they don't wish to even consider any other way of dealing with it. Nada. No way. Not ever ever cos of gun rights.

It's a closed mind view.

And so the shooter had a gun when he shouldn't have. Don't know the details of how and why, could be lax parenting or poor gun safety at home.

Kids steal guns, and kids steal cars. But a car's function is transport, and shagging on the back seat. Whilst a gun's is shooting bullets, in many instances to kill.

And this event is also a likely result of the profusion of guns in the US, and deadlock in US society as to dealing with it.
Dilly, Dilly

Perhaps it is time to start the emergency AR fund now, that way it will be ready for sweeping gun reform in the future...

I wasn't suggesting anyone did say it would deter 100% of attacks. But the drumbeat from the pro gun lobby seems to be the answer to school shootings is arming teachers, as if that is the only answer. It's as if they don't wish to even consider any other way of dealing with it. Nada. No way. Not ever ever cos of gun rights.

It's a closed mind view.

And so the shooter had a gun when he shouldn't have. Don't know the details of how and why, could be lax parenting or poor gun safety at home.

Kids steal guns, and kids steal cars. But a car's function is transport, and shagging on the back seat. Whilst a gun's is shooting bullets, in many instances to kill.

And this event is also a likely result of the profusion of guns in the US, and deadlock in US society as to dealing with it.
2 injured and shooter dead vs 17 dead and armed response didnt enter the fray. Your response - Yeah, guns bad... we get it.

I wasn't suggesting anyone did say it would deter 100% of attacks.
So what was your point in raising it then? Twice.

But the drumbeat from the pro gun lobby seems to be the answer to school shootings is arming teachers, as if that is the only answer. It's as if they don't wish to even consider any other way of dealing with it. Nada. No way. Not ever ever cos of gun rights.

It's a closed mind view.
I haven't seen anyone saying that on this thread. I have seen very few people saying it elsewhere either. What people are saying is that simplistic, knee jerk legislation that will only have an impact on the law abiding gun owners who aren't causing the problem is not the right solution.

The 'profusion of guns' in the US isn't going to suddenly disappear because you make it harder for law abiding to buy or own them. You can't magic away the millions of guns currently in circulation, you can't stop more coming in and you aren't going to be able to stop those who want to break the law with them from getting them if they want.

Can I ask a question of our American friends
this whole school shooting thing, when did it start ? or has it always been present in society ?

Well I watched the Columbine shooting in my Geography class 19 years ago. That is when it started for my generation. Now sadly it seems like this is a once a month event these days. Then again I also think parenting or lack of is the problem now for the youth that are following. The damn Trophy generation was pretty spoiled and coddled, and not allowed to deal with real world. But then again I was born in the early 80's and thrown to the wolves by my parents......

Can I ask a question of our American friends
this whole school shooting thing, when did it start ? or has it always been present in society ?
I believe it was Charles Whitman - But there were school attacks involving flammables/explosives in the 30's.

At least one has said that arming teachers should be considered as a part solution.

At least one has also inferred that they’d risk going down in a blaze of bullets if the plod attempted to take their weapons.
Whats the relationship between his claim that 'an armed Resource officers didnt stop this attack, so it is a failure 'and arming teachers?

Well I watched the Columbine shooting in my Geography class 19 years ago. That is when it started for my generation. Now sadly it seems like this is a once a month event these days. Then again I also think parenting or lack of is the problem now for the youth that are following. The damn Trophy generation was pretty spoiled and coddled, and not allowed to deal with real world. But then again I was born in the early 80's and thrown to the wolves by my parents......
I am pretty ancient, the grassy Knole era
but i couldn't recall any school shootings back then, of course the Vietnam was was on and I guess folk just had enough of death and killing
I think you are spot on about the modern generation, nowadays small arguments get extended and replayed with hand held technology
it was not perfect in my youth, there was one far greek bully and a Jamacian bully I would quite happily have executed had I been able to get a weapon, but I suppose I got over it, learnt from it and realised that rubbish like them just go downhill
the fat greek died of an overdose, and the Jamaican ended up inside for most of his life
Alos I think they spend far too much time at hoem and not enough time outside getting worn out
we used to be out every minute that was possible, and cycling down to the coast all weekend was not unknown for us
maybe its a change in society that is needed and less seperation by technology
ever noticed how people avoid eye contact, always on the phone !

At least one has said that arming teachers should be considered as a part solution.

At least one has also inferred that they’d risk going down in a blaze of bullets if the plod attempted to take their weapons.
one of my many daughters is a Teacher, she is the last person you would want to issue a fire arm to
in her youth she tried to take out a two timing boyfriend by using a Peugeot 306, luckily it was a diesel and he outran it
instead he survived with a few bruises and avoids her at all times

No, several of us have said that arming staff is an effective solution to the immediate problem. Several posters have also listed other things that can be done in terms of sorting out the MH issues, enforcing the existing laws etc.

Imagine someone not being happy at the idea of having his property removed and his ability to protect himself from the armed criminals (who will still be armed) removed because of something that the armed criminals did.

In the interests of balance, one of the anti-gun faction was advocating the use of aerial bombardment of residential areas in order to enforce firearms restrictions.

Imagine someone not being happy at the idea of having his property removed and his ability to protect himself from the armed criminals (who will still be armed) removed because of something that the armed criminals did.
Not being happy? Fine.

Actively trying to shoot someone enforcing a law you don’t agree with? IMHO - not fine.

The US doesn’t sound like the glorious utopia that some try to make out.

In the interests of balance, one of the anti-gun faction was advocating the use of aerial bombardment of residential areas in order to enforce firearms restrictions.
In their defense, it was a targeted drone strike and not a B52 carpet bombing campaign.

Not being happy? Fine.

Actively trying to shoot someone enforcing a law you don’t agree with? IMHO - not fine.
If they changed the constitution...if they didnt change it first- its not a valid law ( and the reasoning behind the 2A) and many, many gun owners would only hand over legally owned firearms ammo first.

Not being happy? Fine.

The US doesn’t sound like the glorious utopia that some try to make out.
You do realize that the only folks out here trying to confiscate weapons would be the Feds? If that were happen the next question is do those same folks become Domestic enemies or remain Federal agents... The Gadsden flag would be flown in mass.

1521584021413.png

You do realize that the only folks out here trying to confiscate weapons would be the Feds? If that were happen the next question is do those same folks become Domestic enemies or remain Federal agents... The Gadsden flag would be flown in mass.

View attachment 327243
Its funny, I saw a San bernadino Sheriff flying the same decal on his SUV.. and L.E are the ones collecting these guns?