Mass Shootings in the US

What do you think they should have done? Confiscated his weapons?
The threatening text messages to other students predate his gun purchases. His guardians called the police at some point and said 'he has guns'... what is the point in making laws if no one enforces them.

A simple 5150 72hr hold and mental evaluation, with his death threats = a RSO (restraining order and confiscation of firearms) . He shouldn't have been in school, should have been tried, shouldn't have been able to get firearms and shouldn't have been able to keep them.

‘I’m going to watch you bleed’: Nikolas Cruz threatened ex’s new boyfriend, report says

Nikolas Cruz: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know | Heavy.com

But raising the age to 21 will stop this in the future? Sure....

The threatening text messages to other students predate his gun purchases. His guardians called the police at some point and said 'he has guns'... what is the point in making laws if no one enforces them.

A simple 5150 72hr hold and mental evaluation, with his death threats = a RSO (restraining order and confiscation of firearms) . He shouldn't have been in school, should have been tried, shouldn't have been able to get firearms and shouldn't have been able to keep them.

‘I’m going to watch you bleed’: Nikolas Cruz threatened ex’s new boyfriend, report says

Nikolas Cruz: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know | Heavy.com

But raising the age to 21 will stop this in the future? Sure....
I just want to get this quite clear, you are suggesting that the police confiscate firearms from an adult US citizen who has committed no crime?

I just want to get this quite clear, you are suggesting that the police confiscate firearms from an adult US citizen who has committed no crime?
If there is clear evidence (there was) of multiple felonies and a dimished mental capacity - he should have been arrested before he even purchased the firearms. And if he is a danger to himself ( did you read the link to him cutting himself, found by CPS?) then, take him in on a Psychological evaluation/hold and get a restraining order against him (he was stalking an ex girlfriend - classic behavior for RSO) and the weapons can be held until trial.

He had commited several crimes - he was never arrested and convicted. Its clear he should have been arrested many, many times.

He had commited several crimes - he was never arrested and convicted. Its clear he should have been arrested many, many times
. . . and yet, and yet - there's the likes of Paddock. No history of felony, much less violence (unless I've slept through a part of his story).

Criminal father notwithstanding, there was nothing, zip, nada, zilch anywhere to shine a light on him as a mass killer in the making.

. . . and yet, and yet - there's the likes of Paddock. No history of felony, much less violence (unless I've slept through a part of his story).

Criminal father notwithstanding, there was nothing, zip, nada, zilch anywhere to shine a light on him as a mass killer in the making.

Paddock was definitely a strange one - I would like to know more about the case, the amount of information that came out following is minimal.

skid2

On ROPS
On ROPs
Book Reviewer
Meh. Not so much the Irish. NORAID was a drop in the ocean compared to Mad Dog Muammar Gaddafi, and indeed to the stream of revenue that originated at the UK taxpayer, and was siphoned off by PIRA by extorting from building companies contracted to redevelop Ulster, funded from Westminster.
Not quite, funded from just about everywhere else but Westminster. All that European money went somewhere. No doubt someone will be along in a minute saying it really was Westminster money.

Paddock was definitely a strange one - I would like to know more about the case, the amount of information that came out following is minimal.
In my mind, he's the classic, old school weirdo/mass/spree killer.

We seem, these days, to expect everyone to signal their intentions on the internet.

Spree killers didn't do that before the internet, why would we expect them all to do it now?

If there is clear evidence (there was) of multiple felonies and a dimished mental capacity - he should have been arrested before he even purchased the firearms. And if he is a danger to himself ( did you read the link to him cutting himself, found by CPS?) then, take him in on a Psychological evaluation/hold and get a restraining order against him (he was stalking an ex girlfriend - classic behavior for RSO) and the weapons can be held until trial.

He had commited several crimes - he was never arrested and convicted. Its clear he should have been arrested many, many times.
Can you specify what these crimes were? I read through your links and all I saw was him making some threatening comments on the internet and posting pictures of himself with guns. If those are grounds to arrest and charge people then half of the youtube commenters in the US are going be in a lot of trouble.

Self-harm definitely isn't a crime in the UK, it might be in the US but I doubt it.

Edit - whoops, my fault for skim-reading. "In September, he wrote “I’m going to be a professional school shooter” on a YouTube channel. The comment would have been enough to charge Cruz with threatening to injure another person, a felony, according to an official in the U.S. Attorney’s Office in Miami."
Apparently that is a felony. There are an awful lot of idiot American teenagers / 20 somethings going to be sectioned and their firearms confiscated for making similar comments.

Can you specify what these crimes were? I read through your links and all I saw was him making some threatening comments on the internet and posting pictures of himself with guns. If those are grounds to arrest and charge people then half of the youtube commenters in the US are going be in a lot of trouble.

Self-harm definitely isn't a crime in the UK, it might be in the US but I doubt it.
Threatening to kill someone is a crime - even through text messaging and is a felony.

Self harming is a reason to take someone on a pysch hold, where evaluations can be undertaken. The next step is having the firearms taken of him ( if he is adjudicated to be a danger to himself or others).

Report: Nikolas Cruz violently threatened rival, texts and student accounts show

Three students provided BuzzFeed with texts sent under Cruz’s name and other messages from an Instagram account with ominous threats along with pictures of guns.
“Im going to watch you bleed," read an Instagram message sent under Cruz's name, after he was no longer at the school. "iam going to shoot you dead."

A 2016 Florida Department of Children and Families report says that after a breakup with a girlfriend, Cruz began cutting his arms. He also announced plans to buy a gun, put racial slurs and hate symbols on his backpack and suffered from depression, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder and autism, the report said. Despite Cruz's behavior, the report concluded the "final level of risk is low."

Last edited:
Not quite, funded from just about everywhere else but Westminster. All that European money went somewhere. No doubt someone will be along in a minute saying it really was Westminster money.
You clearly know more about Policing NI in the 1980s than I do. More, perhaps, than the peelers I worked alongside, back then.

Or, alternatively, you're kinda speculating.

Difficult to know.

The sheriffs Dept also went to his house 40 times... at some point - Law enforcement has to admit a huge part of the responsibility.

Completely ignoring the point. But... why oh why did the FBI not stop this outrage!
Ignoring the fact even if the 35000 Fbi employees were agents its still 1 agent per 10000 people spread across a continent.

Threatening to kill someone is a crime - even through text messaging and is a felony.

Self harming is a reason to take someone on a pysch hold, where evaluations can be undertaken.
As I've edited my post above, I missed that detail.

I am enjoying someone who so vigorously defended the rights of the individual to own guns that it would be impossible for the police to confiscate arguing that the police should have confiscated guns though.

skid2

On ROPS
On ROPs
Book Reviewer
You clearly know more about Policing NI in the 1980s than I do. More, perhaps, than the peelers I worked alongside, back then.

Or, alternatively, you're kinda speculating.

Difficult to know.
I remember them well. If you can explain the relationship,between policing and decent social housing, apart from the fact that having one usually means less crime. Policemen tended not to live anywhere near council estates.

But they still get a gun right?
Nope - he wouldnt have passed the background check.

Completely ignoring the point. But... why oh why did the FBI not stop this outrage!
Ignoring the fact even if the 35000 Fbi employees were agents its still 1 agent per 10000 people spread across a continent.
I think you are getting confused with Sheriff and FBI... and the multiude of other depts that could have arrested this POS. The FBI dropped the ball twice - the BSO dropped it 39 times.

As I've edited my post above, I missed that detail.

I am enjoying someone who so vigorously defended the rights of the individual to own guns that it would be impossible for the police to confiscate arguing that the police should have confiscated guns though.
Don't be a mong - if you can't differentiate between someone clearly crazy and breaking multiple laws on several occasions and law abiding gun own owners; leave the conversation.

You dont come across as someone smart enough to twist my words around, to support your agenda.

Last edited:
Dont be a mong - if you cant differentiate between someone clearly crazy and breaking multiple laws on several occasions and law abiding gun own owners; leave the conversation.

You dont come across as someone smart enough to twist my words, to supporting your agenda.
I don't have an agenda. I don't live there, it doesn't affect me, it's none of my business what Americans do to each other. Also, I'm not twisting your words - I have asked you clear, direct questions.

I can see the irony in someone arguing that they would shoot police officers trying to confiscate their weapons saying that the police should have confiscated someone else's guns.

I'm willing to bet if the police had confiscated Cruz's guns then there would be plenty of 2nd amendment fans (not necessarily you) arguing that it was the start of gun control before the FEMA death camps. The evil tyrannical government picking on a poor orphaned boy that had been expelled from school and denied the same education as his peers would definitely be a potential spin on the issue.

I will point out that the laws he broke are repeatedly broken every day by hundreds of people. If making rude comments about people online is grounds to confiscate firearms then a lot of firearms are going to be confiscated. Unless of course you're rationalising in hindsight?

I remember them well. If you can explain the relationship,between policing and decent social housing, apart from the fact that having one usually means less crime. Policemen tended not to live anywhere near council estates.
Got it.

You were speculating, from a standpoint of ignorance.

And that neatly concludes this conversation.

I don't have an agenda. I don't live there, it doesn't affect me, it's none of my business what Americans do to each other. Also, I'm not twisting your words - I have asked you clear, direct questions.

I can see the irony in someone arguing that they would shoot police officers trying to confiscate their weapons saying that the police should have confiscated someone else's guns.

I'm willing to bet if the police had confiscated Cruz's guns then there would be plenty of 2nd amendment fans (not necessarily you) arguing that it was the start of gun control before the FEMA death camps. The evil tyrannical government picking on a poor orphaned boy that had been expelled from school and denied the same education as his peers would definitely be a potential spin on the issue.

I will point out that the laws he broke are repeatedly broken every day by hundreds of people. If making rude comments about people online is grounds to confiscate firearms then a lot of firearms are going to be confiscated. Unless of course you're rationalising in hindsight?
You are being a mong again - he didnt make 'rude comment'... he threatened peoples lives. He showed clear signs of mental instability.

You are being a mong again - he didnt make 'rude comment'... he threatened peoples lives. He showed clear signs of mental instability.
Call me a mong all you want, it doesn't change the points I'm making. People tend to make rude comments on the internet. I will accept your point if you are willing to accept that every US citizen who makes a comment on an internet site that implies a death threat should have their firearms confiscated by the police.

Since you're keen on confiscating weapons now ;)

Latest Threads