Mass Shootings in the US

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
To hold a PPW you need to demonstrate there is an actual risk to your life, which C3 need to confirm or be a serving cop who all automatically get PPWs. I believe there are roughly 10,000 PPWs on the go at the moment. That is just those licensed to carry at all times for personal protection, it doesn't cover those that have pistol licenses for sporting purposes.

A number of people I know who were considerably high risk when serving or who live in areas where DRs are particularly active still routinely carry a PPW. Some of those who have a pistol license for sporting purposes have it mainly because they want the access to a pistol for protection at home but don't feel the need to carry in other locations.
That would be interesting, by the time they get it out of the safe, load it and defend themselves. What is this, the West Brit dissidents who send cards and make an appointment?

That would be interesting, by the time they get it out of the safe, load it and defend themselves. What is this, the West Brit dissidents who send cards and make an appointment?
Only if you assume that they are actually keeping it unloaded and in the safe.

Well, something is happening.

Florida have just passed into law some measures that they think will help. raising the age of legal sale of weapons from 18 to 21 year olds, 3 day wait to collect purchase, the banning of bump stocks, teachers to carry etc.

Within 2 hours the NRA went into overdrive and are suing the state.

BBC news, Florida gun law.

Well, something is happening.

Florida have just passed into law some measures that they think will help. raising the age of legal sale of weapons from 18 to 21 year olds, 3 day wait to collect purchase, the banning of bump stocks, teachers to carry etc.

Within 2 hours the NRA went into overdrive and are suing the state.

BBC news, Florida gun law.
Will be overturned as unconstitutional.

Age or Majority is 18
Age the Government can draft you and hand you a gun is 18
Age you can vote is 18

Age or Majority is 18
Age you can vote is 18
What about the fact that you need to be 21 to buy alcohol in Florida? There is already an age limit on buying firearms, why does increasing it become unconstitutional?

With the 3/5 day waiting periods I am reminded of Homer Simpson.

In a commentary on gun control, Homer once replied to a gun store clerk who informed him of a mandatory five-day waiting period before buying a weapon,.

“Five days? But I’m mad now! I’d kill you if I had my gun.”

Age or Majority is 18
Age you can vote is 18
It's already 21 for handguns in many states and also for rifles in some states such as Hawaii. If the law is unconstitutional in Florida, why isn't the same law unconstitutional in Hawaii?

The NRA take on a state (FL) regarding gun control legislation, I don't know. wild stab in the dark, but that sounds like an expensive thing to do and I assume (naughty) that the membership pay for this.

So, a question to you gunslingers gun owners out there, will this action be backed by the whole membership, or enough of them at least to not give a tinkers cuss what the rest of the membership want their subs used for?

It's already 21 for handguns in many states and also for rifles in some states such as Hawaii. If the law is unconstitutional in Florida, why isn't the same law unconstitutional in Hawaii?
Because they can get a rifle at 18? They still have a way to exercise their second amendment rights.

The NRA take on a state (FL) regarding gun control legislation, I don't know. wild stab in the dark, but that sounds like an expensive thing to do and I assume (naughty) that the membership pay for this.

So, a question to you gunslingers gun owners out there, will this action be backed by the whole membership, or enough of them at least to not give a tinkers cuss what the rest of the membership want their subs used for?
That’s what they do in many different states - the NRA has many legal cases pending (several here in California).

Because they can get a rifle at 18? They still have a way to exercise their second amendment rights.
Which doesn’t really answer Uncle Alberts question.

If other states can have a 21 yo age limit why can’t FL. Why haven’t the NRA taken this up to the SCOTUS.

Is there anything in 2A that defines an age at which a citizen can bear arms (a genuine question BTW).

Why 18. Presumably that denies a 17 tear old his (or her) their constitutional rights.

Raising the age in FL to 21 actually seems to be a good idea (to me, at least). Most of the school spree shootings seem to be carried out by teenagers. There is a wealth of psychological research into why teenagers do reckless and stupid things and the extra three years would give them a bit of breathing space to grow up. It might also give others a chance to identify any instabilities they might have.

Last edited:

Age or Majority is 18
Age you can vote is 18
The law on being 21 to buy a handgun or alcohol are federal laws and therefore have primacy over state laws. Many state laws have age discrimination laws so if the state brings in a law that says 21 for rifles and shotguns it is age discrimination.

Sent from my Lenovo TB2-X30F using Tapatalk

You are correct. Citizens of Hawaii under 21 can "bear arms" that are owned by someone else while the guns are in use (i.e. they can borrow an adult's gun while hunting, on the range etc)

However, Hawaiians can only purchase guns if they are 21 or over. That covers any type of gun and that's exactly the same as the legislation that's just been enacted in Florida - no gun sales to under 21s. In fact Federal law forbids the sale of pistols to those under 21 in every state.

So again I ask, if this legislation is unconstitutional in Florida, why isn't exactly the same law unconstitutional in other states, and why isn't Federal law limiting the sale of pistols unconstitutional?

Hang on, my cynicism has just kicked in. Judges in Florida are elected by the public. Judges in Hawaii are not. Lets see whether the threat of tens of millions of dollars worth of negative advertising and subsequent unemployment at election time will bring Florida's judges round to the NRA's way of thinking. The stench of freedom and democracy is strong here.

Which doesn’t really answer Uncle Alberts question.

If other states can have a 21 yo age limit why can’t FL. Why haven’t the NRA taken this up to the SCOTUS.

Is there anything in 2A that defines an age at which a citizen can bear arms (a genuine question BTW).

Why 18. Presumably that denies a 17 tear old his (or her) their constitutional rights.

Racing the age in FL to 21 actually seems to be a good idea (to me, at least). Most of the school spree shootings seem to be carried out by teenagers. There is a wealth of psychological research into why teenagers do reckless and stupid things and the extra three years would give them a bit of breathing space to grow up. It might also give others a chance to identify any instabilities they might have.
Because if they can vote at 18, join the military at 18 - it is denying them a right.

Most school shooters are teenagers? I don’t think that is true, unless you have a link to evidence supporting that.

Latest Threads