Mass Shootings in the US

Sorry, not in public then.... but with 3 Budweisers in them, they want to show their RED-SPOT add-on too their brushed finished Colt 45, just take it out the box and wave it around.....
If grown men wish to show each other their weapons in the privacy of their own homes.....

Most Americans treat their weapon like their car, too be flashed about after enough beers are consumed, but, unlike the car if it is stolen, it's not worth reporting.

The only way America knows how many Americans bought new guns in a year is by asking the manufacturers to deduct foreign sales figures from total sales.

The reckon there are 89 guns per 100 people in the US of A, if I was one of the last 11%, I would now buy a gun.
There were 25 million background checks last year - some would have been multiple guns and only one background check - some would have been used guns, so not used sales. If you had the NICS data as the FBI do, you know how many people bought new guns.

NICS Firearm Checks: Month/Year — FBI

Funnily enough, it seems to work in Northern Ireland.
See the muppet robbing a petrol station and found out one of the bystanders in the petrol station was an armed off duty policeman.
Off duty policemen (or at least some of them) carry their weapons because off the security threat from terrorist groups.

General carry of weapons by the public isn't allowed in Northern Ireland.

Are you suggesting that terrorist groups should start shooting US police officers in their homes or are you, yet again, talking absolute wham?

Well Socalled sapper, you believe more guns is the way to go, if we saturate the market to the point every one has one, insist they have it with them at all times.
Prehaps we will have the problem that some people have two and some only have one..... It will it's a bit absurd to have three.... unless it could be sold as a "Trusted standby".

Off duty policemen (or at least some of them) carry their weapons because off the security threat from terrorist groups.

Are you suggesting that terrorist groups should start shooting US police officers in their homes or are you, yet again, talking absolute wham?
There are enough weapons being carried by off duty police and others not Police to significantly impact crime against the person.

It isn't just police officers that carry PPWs in NI. Former soldiers, former cops, prison officers, Sinn Fein members and anyone else who demonstrate there is an actual threat to their life can apply for a PPW license.

It isn't just police officers that carry PPWs in NI. Former soldiers, former cops, prison officers, Sinn Fein members and anyone else who demonstrate there is an actual threat to their life can apply for a PPW license.
I know, but it's not a right extended to anyone who fancies it as it is in (some parts of) the US.

There are enough weapons being carried by off duty police and others not Police to significantly impact crime against the person.
You have some form of proof that the fact that a very small number of people carry concealed weapons (it's far from every serving policeman, former soldier or Sinn Fein member) leads to a lower crime rate rather than, for example, large numbers of paramilitaries or the majority of the country being rural?

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
School kids, people at nightclub, church get shot by loon with semi automatic weapons.
Thanks to the American healthcare system Mental illness seems to be, too expensive, difficult to deal with in the early stages. It looks as if it’s largely ignored until its reared it’s ugly head and needs full blown attention.

There’ll be those on here telling us that Americans mental health care is the best in the world.

And it might well be but it’s obviously not doing anything to help the alienated and dissafected kid who can get their hands on automatic semi or otherwise weapons.

If they can’t get the mental health care they need, why not do something to restrict weapons access, if that’s too difficult, seriously restrict the access and availablity of ammunition.

You can have all the guns you want.

And then what do you do with all the sane people who commit mass shootings. Given that this seems to be a particularly American thing and no one wants to mess about with this 2nd amendment. What about mass mental health screening, especially for those who want to buy weapons.
Or own a gun. Or continue to own a weapon. Or weapons.

Fees for this could go into a pot where victims of shootings could get their healthcare and rehab paid for.

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
Consider my surprise when they decided that an ex loyalist prisoner was entitled to one.
He was pleased with it, in fact he showed it to everyone in the bar, they were surprised too.

Well Socalled sapper, you believe more guns is the way to go, if we saturate the market to the point every one has one, prehaps we will have the problem that some people have two and some only have one..... It will it's a bit absurd to have three.... prehaps it could be sold as a "Trusted standby".
You posted another fallacy - I showed you are wrong. I am not interested in addressing any more of your mong statements.You make these claims, with zero facts and ignore any response that actually uses some evidence.

So there wasn't an armed guard tasked to police the school in either Florida or Columbine?

I think you'll find there were but the shooters weren't deterred.

I bet your next solution involves something PRC in style, like mass round ups of ‘armed good guys’?
Actually, mine is to shake my head in bemusement and thank my lucky stars I wasn't born in a place where my fellow citizens hate and fear each other to that extent.

Well, I had this forwarded to me today from one of my wifes family members who lives in California.. I believe it's going viral at present..

I think most people could see his point, no matter how gun barmy you might be?

Apologies if posted before, but my google and search powers are feeling lazy. Just to inject some observations and articles on research dispelling some myths justifying gun ownership:

More Guns Do Not Stop More Crimes, Evidence Shows

The case against arming teachers

It seems owning a gun for self defence is more likely to get you killed, amongst others.
Your second link appears to completely ignore, or be completely unaware of, the fact that there have been schools that allow teachers to concealed carry for a decade or more. I am pretty sure none of those schools have seen in increase in gun violence or we would have heard about it.

So there wasn't an armed guard tasked to police the school in either Florida or Columbine?

I think you'll find there were but the shooters weren't deterred.
The shooters at Columbine abandoned their original plan and ran away from the armed police officer when he fired at them, as you well know because we have had this conversation before. During the time he was engaging them a number of the kids they were shooting at escaped. What happened after that was the fault of the SOPs taught at the time, which changed soon after. It has never been established if the Columbine murderers knew he was there or not when they started the attack.

Neither do we know yet if the latest murderer knew where the SRO was before he started his attack. We do know he attacked a building the SRO was not in but whether that was accident or design we won't know until the police release the result of the interviews.

Concealed carry for teachers is a completely different thing. In the schools where it is already happening none of the pupils know which teachers are armed, in most of the schools where it happens the pupils don't actually know it is happening.

I note with interest the NRA are losing major corporate sponsors and patrons.
Although events in the US are seen through a prism, the reaction to the latest outrage does seem to be different.
A Damascene moment when people are actually questioning the influence of the NRA, and the consequences of their influence?
Or is it yet another example of SJW/progressive/antifa tactics targeting the sponsors on social media and other online arenas?

Hash tags are being used to cause a guilt by association link between the sponsors and NRA. This whips up even the slightest negative image which sponsors see as toxic and they bolt.

This isn't pressure groups arguing the facts. It is stoking public ignorance and fears to pit pressure on corporate bodies. They did the same thing on YouTube a few months ago.

This scares me. It is playing their own project fear games, without having to provide any hard facts to back up their argument.

Edit for spelling

Last edited:
Your second link appears to completely ignore, or be completely unaware of, the fact that there have been schools that allow teachers to concealed carry for a decade or more. I am pretty sure none of those schools have seen in increase in gun violence or we would have heard about it.
Er, it does say school shootings are rare.

So statistically that would be probable.

What you would need to do to prove the point I think you are making is to carry out a comparative analysis.

In any case, I posted a link on the other thread of a shooter walking into a police station knowing full well they could shoot back and he shot a cop before being killed himself. The cops having guns didn't deter him.

It could turn out the same for armed teachers.