Mass Shootings in the US

Armed defender of school fails to prevent mass shooting at school?

But the NRA said...
'But why do you need guns, the police will come and save you...'

Works both ways ;)

He (Trump) also rather quietly proposed the introduction of mental health screening, improved background checks and age restrictions.

This whole "Teachers + Guns = Less Dead Kids" suggestion sounds like a diversion to me. An "Oh Look Squirrel" ploy.

If it comes as a package and the Liberals block it just because of the "Teachernator" (TM) bit, he wins. Especially as next time there's a bloodbath he can just point to the corpses and blame the left. The NRA on the other hand are less likely to block any of the sensible proposals if they're dazzled by something shiny and so obviously abhorrent to the left.

With which he was supposed to do a solo entry and take down an active shooter armed with a tricked up semi auto rifle.

No chance.

Which just might explain this:

Fla. school deputies to add firepower after mass shooting
Most of the armed School security here in CA have a car with a Shotgun and/or AR. But they dont walk around with those. TBH, I dont see many walking around though, mostly driving or sat in patrol cars.

That is the SOP. His sole Job is campus security and he is well paid to do it. His immediate suspension and resignation shows he was in the wrong.
Time will tell. 45 acre campus and according to some reports Deputy was not in the actual building when it kicked off at 14.21 Shooter dumped rifle and gone in 4 minutes.

Much confusion apparently caused by police viewing what was a 20 minute delayed CCTV feed (I don't know either) rather than the live one and an antiquated radio system that many officers found went into receive only mode during the incident.

Time will tell. 45 acre campus and according to some reports Deputy was not in the actual building when it kicked off at 14.21 Shooter dumped rifle and gone in 4 minutes.

Much confusion apparently caused by police viewing what was a 20 minute delayed CCTV feed (I don't know either) rather than the live one and an antiquated radio system that many officers found went into receive only mode during the incident.
The Sheriff says the video shows him moving to the building the shots were coming from and then waiting outside. Florida school shooting: School resource deputy stayed outside - CNN

The Sheriff says the video shows him moving to the building the shots were coming from and then waiting outside. Florida school shooting: School resource deputy stayed outside - CNN
A County Sheriff is an elected official, I believe.

The same elected official who on Wednesday announced all Deputies in schools henceforth will carry rifles.

He may be justified in his very public, very loud and very rapid condemnation of the Deputy concerned, but let's see how it pans out.

Unlikely to deter or minimise casualties when he wasn't in the building to begin with and didn't enter the building. It doesn't seem likely the murderer knew he was even there.

Meanwhile the assistant football coach Aaron Feis, who was also a security guard, was killed after running towards the shooting and getting between the murderer and the kids he was attacking. He was unarmed, because it is 'gun free zone'.
But I suppose nobody told the shooter it was a gun free zone. ;) . Not everyone obeys the law.

If there is enough evidence to prove the negligence of the deputy, I wonder if a lawsuit will follow for him or his local force (given it’s the USA). If that’s the case and it’s auccessful I wonder what the repercussions would be for arming teachers. If an armed teacher was present at a school shooting and failed to prevent it would they be liable. No pressure to succeed there eh.

If there is enough evidence to prove the negligence of the deputy, I wonder if a lawsuit will follow for him or his local force (given it’s the USA). If that’s the case and it’s auccessful I wonder what the repercussions would be for arming teachers. If an armed teacher was present at a school shooting and failed to prevent it would they be liable. No pressure to succeed there eh.
Previous attempts to sue officers for not intervening in incidents have failed. They apparently have 'no constitutional duty' to protect people.

I see no reason for the Sheriff to exaggerate or lie about what he saw on the video. Every cop in the US knows what is expected of them in the event of an active shooter incident. The SOP has been nation wide for 20 years. I have a ton of sympathy for the bloke, no-one knows how they are going to react in a life threatening situation until it happens to them, but if he can't follow the normal SOP for an active shooter incident when it happens he is done as a cop. He clearly knew that given the speed with which he resigned.

As to teachers and school staff with less experience and how they might react, those were some of the people who ran to the sound of the shooting and got between the murderer and the pupils, despite the fact they were unarmed.

I believe the Supreme court ruled that a Law enforcement officer doesn't have to protect you.

Justices Rule Police Do Not Have a Constitutional Duty to Protect Someone

edit * Legz beat me to it.

So the slogan on the side of patrol cars "To serve and protect" isn't worth the tin it 's written on?
Yep - I know many dont believe me, but most cops are pro gun and have told me to fix 'issues' myself. We need to find a way to keep the crazies away from the guns, without infringing on law abiding citizens exercising their right to bear arms.